Skip to main content
Topic: Do you consider yourself free? (Read 27529 times)

Re: Do you consider yourself free?

Reply #75

If you could have atheist monks he would get in with no problem! 

I'd love to be free of religious notions. This was a silly thing to say unless you completely misunderstand atheism.

It's not really a belief there is no god(s). It's more a lack of belief in god(s). That the religious don't or won't understand the difference is a bit droll. Atheism isn't a religion or belief system. There's no limit to what not believing in deities can mean. The term really means nothing overly useful unless you're religious.
Absolutely! I believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus but not in the parting the Red Sea and the loaves and fishes business.

Reply #76
There is no absolute freedom, I know that, all of you know that, but one thing is certain, there is a basic need for freedom for every man, so important as breathing or eating, no matter our nationality, religion, social level or race.
Eating and breathing aren't freedoms, and they aren't limited to men. They're necessities for all critters large and small with the exception of anaerobic bacteria.

Reply #77
...breathing ...with the exception of anaerobic bacteria.
Not exactly.
Anaerobics breathe as well[abbr=› not needing ... oxygen:]*[/abbr].
Now I see the word's morphology is confusing - "without air", while the meaning is only "without oxygen". They have their own "air" to breathe on...:)

Reply #78
Maybe more politicians without air would be something?
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #80
First, they are lower indexes - in chemistry to count atoms (ions) in a molecule. The upper right one is used for the ionisation parameter and usually has either a plus or minus in front of it.
The lower left is to count protons in the nucleus, the upper left - the atomic mass (neutrons+protons it must be, so that's to distinguish isotopes).

Reply #82

First, they are lower indexes - in chemistry to count atoms (ions) in a molecule. The upper right one is used for the ionisation parameter and usually has either a plus or minus in front of it.
The lower left is to count protons in the nucleus, the upper left - the atomic mass (neutrons+protons it must be, so that's to distinguish isotopes).

Please re-post that somewhere else!

Reply #84
A little something for your growing English lexicon.

dipstick
1. the penis

2. a stupid or obnoxious person
Shut up you sleazy dipstick.

Reply #86
Uh-huh. A poor day in Michigan? It is just that jimbro had went off his love of female attributes of the upper body direction.

Reply #88
Well he is an armchair philosopher.

Reply #89
If Socrates had had an armchair, he might have produced something lasting, but simple relaxation works well.

Reply #90

If Socrates had had an armchair, he might have produced something lasting,...
Socrates produced Plato, Aristotle, and the Socratic method. That's no small feat.

Reply #91
Foot binding produces small feet.

Socrates only provided the semin, his wife did the rest.

Reply #94
The two most recent episodes of the philosophy podcast Partially Examined Life are on this topic:

Episode 103: Thoreau on Living Deliberately
Episode 104: Robert Nozick's Libertarianism

Food for thought to inspire meaningful discussion.

I have read Thoreau's book. Nice to see a city guy at least to actually try "primitive" life, to get back to the roots. I personally was born in the country and I still live at the same spot where I was born. This may not seem exactly liberating, but I've always considered cities a trap, and I'm not trapped there.

Reply #95
I was born in a city of two million, but I only lived in a very circumscribed area that translated to a few square miles. When necessary I moved out of that area. That city today is largely horrid with the exception of an area populated by the wealthy. My brother lives in an area that is so bad that he carried a gun when he mowed his lawn.

There are hideous areas of most cities in the U.S., and I'm guessing that the same is true of all cities. Child poverty in London is scandalous. I lived in a very small city for a couple of years that was as miserable as anything I've ever seen. The city I live in today has poor areas  but my area is fine. The city I'm moving to next month has wealthy folks, middle class folks and poor people. Since I enjoy the variety that cities offer, I have no problem living in them...just so long as I can avoid the down side of city life.

No symphony orchestras, ballet companies, art museums and people of all sorts in small towns.

Reply #96

I was born in a city of two million, but I only lived in a very circumscribed area that translated to a few square miles. When necessary I moved out of that area.

What necessitated the move?

No symphony orchestras, ballet companies, art museums and people of all sorts in small towns.

And no universities either. I had to first begin regularly going to the city when attending the high school and the university. When I was small I thought it would be cool if everything were close by to me, in the country, so I would never have to commute. But now, having graduated, I know I would not want to have nearby the kind of people who attend universities.

Reply #97
And no universities either.

Define small. Around here there are plenty of universities in cities of, say, 100,000 people. In America there are plenty of universities in towns made up out of less than 20-30,000, the majority of whom are students and academic personnel. More concretely, for most intents and purposes the university is the city.

But now, having graduated, I know I would not want to have nearby the kind of people who attend universities.

Darn those kids! :lol:

Reply #98
And no universities either.

Universities are a fraud that slave men instead of liberating them.
I don't believe in organized teaching systems aimed to create mass production intellects with no contact whatsoever with real life.
Only a Man can teach a Man, not a system.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #99

Universities are a fraud that slave men instead of liberating them.
I don't believe in organized teaching systems aimed to create mass production intellects with no contact whatsoever with real life.
Only a Man can teach a Man, not a system.

No women allowed?

Sir, you'd be living in relative village poverty without universities. Or in Portugal.  :wine: