Skip to main content
Topic: This is a testing forum (Read 30979 times)

Re: This is a testing forum

Reply #50
Frans, would you be going to implement certain 'dialogues'. Like MyOpera posting tools as to input links etc.? Along with a 'quick quote' thingie, it'd make living here sort of cosier:)
I understand it may cause some trouble about the site working properly or such, won't it?

Reply #51
Like MyOpera posting tools as to input links etc.?

If there's someone with sufficient Javascript knowledge willing to do it for me, perhaps. I would suggest developing Javascript add-ons as userscripts so people can use them regardless of whether I like it enough to add it as default functionality.
Along with a 'quick quote' thingie, it'd make living here sort of cosier:)

With a little help from the My Opera enhancements, I managed to throw together a mostly functional quick quote in very little time. Unfortunately xErath never replied to my request to use his code, and I obviously can't put it up as a feature unless I get permission.
I understand it may cause some trouble about the site working properly or such, won't it?

Que?

Reply #53
I'm not a programmer, but my manual workaround is simple.

1. Goto the post where the text you wish to quote appears.

2. Copy (highlight ➜ right click ➜ copy) the text you wish to quick-quote.

3. Click the on the post.

4. Now, in the Quick Reply Textbox select & delete all the quoted text, & then paste in the text you copied earlier in the appropriate place.

Viola ➨ A Manual (not so quick) Quick Quote

Reply #54
It's stupid because with a single quote even your quoting feature is an overkill - when everybody is capable of typing a couple of tags. The quick quote is useful when someone needs to pick several quotes from - even from several posts and even by different authors if desired.

Reply #55
Well, Josh ..... It's something I chose to share ..... if you feel it's stupid, don't frikkin use it....Personally, I use FireFox with the Custom Buttons Extension installed, & I've made a Custom Button, that when pressed makes a quick quote template on any selected text -- as I used here.

Now, until & if an all browser javascript is implemented for quick-quote in this forum, a manual method (any smarter method of your particular choice) is your only recourse......sowieee

Reply #56
accumulative storage space is a generous 2gb--up to 16 gb with referrals (last I checked)

Dropbox currently gives me 19.5GB due to their Space Race, of which I use a whopping 300 MB. I only use it because it's the very simplest way to keep stuff I'm currently working on in sync; once a year or so I clean up my stuff there because it tends to accumulate. I was up to nearly 5GB early this summer, but got it down to 50MB in August. Back when I was still limited to 2-3GB it forced me to clean up earlier, which had its benefits.

Reply #57

Attachments of less than 10 kB are quite useful to post configuration files or scripts in connection to what's said on the post itself, without bothering how to convert them to plaintext so that they can be converted back later or loading a larger (hundreds of kB) file upload service.
Those were pretty much my thoughts. About a thousand of such files would take merely 10MB, and thanks to compression it might well be a limit closer to 25-30kB.

Reply #58
Dropbox still has the disadvantages that it is heavy and slow once you get to hundred or so files per directory, and that it may at its own discretion wipe your account on copyright grounds. What's file sharing without an occasional copyright infringement, eh?

I've been planning to backup Dropbox less manually. They really wipe your entire account? How would they even know whether the PDFs of articles and books I work with are unlawfully in my possession or not? (Hint: they're not.)

Reply #59
How would they even know whether the PDFs of articles and books I work with are unlawfully in my possession or not? (Hint: they're not.)

I just realized this might be easily misinterpreted. The PDFs are not unlawfully in my possession, i.e. they're lawfully in my possession.

Reply #60
 Yeah, you're :right:!;)
Let me test something - as we're where we are :D
[abbr=What does this last thing do exactly?]?[/abbr]

Reply #61
It's meant to be used more like this: HTML.

Reply #63
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-/ :-* :'(
Frans, your "Undecided" requires a backslash which is normally not found within the BrE keyboard layout. For one, I can only have it on my keyboard when in the Russian mode. ???

Reply #65
Frans, your "Undecided" requires a backslash which is normally not found within the BrE keyboard layout.

That doesn't sound right. Anyway, you can always click the images?

Reply #67
If only you could do that pre-post... :-\

Reply #69
I've just encountered an apparent glitch with that "new replies etc." stuff: from the board, I saw the "Central" showing "new posts", and the link was in place; I clicked - "no new".
It mustn't have been a coincidence of a deleted post - cause I repeated the checking (with reloading) 2 or 3 times.

(Congrat me - I'm a fool member now!:hat:)

Reply #70
Isn't it more likely that you already opened the new post in the background or something?

Reply #71
Sry, the little smartass inside me must of typed that.

On an actual problem:

The first one is similar to the one I posted, while the second one is just a video file link which comes up as a new tab here, & as a "Save As" Download request.

I got this using the quick quote from just selecting the word 'posted' with Opera M.

Reply #74
What about establishing a temporary forum section sort of "Testing area"? I'd like the polling thing to get worked with. It'll require starting several 'fake' topics with the polls differing in settings, that sort...