Skip to main content
Topic: Forum requirements and (un)desirables (Read 43906 times)

Re: Forum requirements and (un)desirables

Reply #100
Clearly Josh is on the right track. After all, letters are written like this:

Dear, Josh,
Hello, Josh,

Bla, bla, bla.

Bla, bla, bla.

Sincerely, yours,
Yours, truly,

Me.

:whistle:
:angel:
:rip:

Reply #101
Move those posts to grammatical mutterings. They are a very welcome addition there. Great resource. Awesome teachings from Josh.

Reply #102

Move those posts to grammatical mutterings. They are a very welcome addition there. Great resource. Awesome teachings from Josh.
Yes good idea - but that should be Great, resource., Awesomesauce, teachings ,from, Josh., and one , for luck.

Reply #104
So - about the comma, or the absence of one, in the phrase "  Hello Josh  ", which is not a clause, should be there because of some rule which is about clauses?

Did you drink?

Do I drink? - no - not at the moment.

It seems that you did and you have... -_-

Reply #105
...Yours, truly,

Me.
As we were taught, there are rules for letters (messages), one of which is about signatures.
Your final line (your name or alike in the very end) doesn't take the full stop -- it means you name or another alias hangs there without a full stop or any other such marking.

Reply #107
A guess --- it is actually a header - title - with a name of someone: the first name is "Hello" and the surname is "Josh":idea: THAT way it'll work ---- but WHO'S a Hell Hello Josh???
Did they mean a Hell O'Josh or something???

Reply #108
It's not easy to misunderstand that epically. You have to work at it.

Special note: I'm flying blind here so I probably missed it, but-- I'm surprised Josh hasn't gone ballistic because this thread is way off topic.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #109
As we were taught, there are rules for letters (messages), one of which is about signatures.
Your final line (your name or alike in the very end) doesn't take the full stop -- it means you name or another alias hangs there without a full stop or any other such marking.

I bodaciously added extraneous punctuation. :devil:

Reply #111

¡¡¡¡ssɐ 'ʎddɐɥ sʇuǝpoɹ ƃuıʎlɟ ʎllɐʎıoɹ ɐ ǝuıɥʇ ɥʇǝʌıƃ oɥʍ 'zǝloɯs 'zǝlnɹ

~~~  OR  ~~~

ɹnlǝz' sɯolǝz' ʍɥo ƃıʌǝʇɥ ʇɥıuǝ ɐ ɹoıʎɐllʎ ɟlʎıuƃ ɹopǝuʇs ɥɐddʎ' ɐss¡¡¡¡

Reply #112
Adding links could be more convenient.

Right now the selection is wrapped in
Code: [Select]
[url][/url]
, saving a little bit of typing, but it would be slightly better if it was
Code: [Select]
[url=|][/url]
(where | is the cursor position).

Even better would be to (have the option) of automagically pasting the content of the clipboard at the position of | if it seems to be an URL, e.g. it begins with http:. Alternatively an optional dialog to which to paste/edit the URL, My Opera style.

Reply #113

It's easy to ignore a thread. All you have to do is choose not to open it.

I am basically ignoring an entire board here (the Lounge) and it's not so easy. Whenever I open up the unread threads, which is how I read up on stuff, I see a bunch of Lounge threads. So I have to go to Lounge, mark all read, and return to unread threads to see what's really of interest to me. Any idea on how to make certain boards or threads easier to ignore?

How about an anti-bookmarks feature: Threads and boards specifically marked (say, Ignore) don't show up at Unread anymore. Make the list of ignored threads and boards manageable under bookmarks.

BTW, there is a way to get email notifications from a board when a new thread is put up. How about making bookmarks work for boards the same way: I can bookmark a board, and new threads that are written there show up under bookmarks.

Wouldn't these features make the forum bookmarks more usable?

Reply #115

Ersi, you're hot Estonian!;) Don't you have some fun sometimes?
I tried once. It was nothing but pain and frustration.

Reply #117
"Mark all as read" and "Mark selected as read": what about to make them switch places? I'm personally used to hitting the edge right button; but if a user's bothered to work the marking - he won't be "half-unconscious" hitting the buttons - so it must not be a problem having the "selected" one not in the far right. :right:?

Reply #118

A guess --- it is actually a header - title - with a name of someone: the first name is "Hello" and the surname is "Josh":idea: THAT way it'll work ---- but WHO'S a Hell Hello Josh???
Did they mean a Hell O'Josh or something???
Frans, is it REALLY HARD to add a comma and a, say, excl.mark, huh?:left: