Skip to main content
Topic: Java JRE and Windows 7/Opera 12 (Read 2783 times)

Java JRE and Windows 7/Opera 12

Since my Upgrade from XP x64 to Win7 x64 Pro I had avoided to Install any Java JRE on my main machine - and now installed JRE 8u25 on it, got rid of it a few moments later as it is not working with Opera 12 (Javas Security Requester doesn't pop up) - so I switched back to 8u20 which is working with O12. As u20 also incorporates the changes in their security model (or is at least the first version AFAIK that removed the medium security setting as a possibility) I am totally unsure whatever reason may be the cause to why the security requesters are blocked for u25 - and whitelisting the url doesn't help as the "not visible" request for allowance (which happens even for whitelisted sites) still needs to be answered. Any Idea? Using an outdated Java Runtime is def. not a solution.
And maybe someone can help me with the following question:
Any way to relocate the Cache/Temp Folder (besides a SymLink)? So far I had always moved it to my temp-partition but under Win7 the change folder option is greyed out. (And some Hits I found when I searched for that topic recommended to set the compatibility mode to WinXP for Javas controlpanel, something that is not possible under x64 (Vista as the "oldest" possible OS setting) - and so far I haven't tried to run it with Microsofts Application Verifier to see if setting the os major version to 5 is indeed a workaround for the problem.

Re: Java JRE and Windows 7/Opera 12

Reply #1
Sorry, I don't use Windows as my primary OS anymore. Here's a stupid question: are you sure it's a 32-bit version? :)

Reply #2
Since my Upgrade from XP x64 to Win7 x64 Pro I had avoided to Install any Java JRE on my main machine - and now installed JRE 8u25 on it, got rid of it a few moments later as it is not working with Opera 12 (Javas Security Requester doesn't pop up) - so I switched back to 8u20 which is working with O12. As u20 also incorporates the changes in their security model (or is at least the first version AFAIK that removed the medium security setting as a possibility) I am totally unsure whatever reason may be the cause to why the security requesters are blocked for u25 - and whitelisting the url doesn't help as the "not visible" request for allowance (which happens even for whitelisted sites) still needs to be answered. Any Idea? Using an outdated Java Runtime is def. not a solution.

Using an older version might be the only way.
I tried to get it to work in Opera 12.17, when JRE 8u25 was first released, but no matter what I tried I failed to get it to work. It was the last straw for me as far as Opera is concerned.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #3
Frenzie: Aehm - for Win7, did I missed to mention x64 often enough? Ah yeah for Opera: of course I am also using Opera 64bit on my 64bit Systems.
And for the compatibility mode  mentioned for the cache folder question: As I used XPx64 before Win7 and the option to relocated the temp folder wasn't shadowed I assume that setting the compatibility mode under Win7 32bit to XP (I am not even sure that it is possible there, but had just cited what I've found) would be equivalent to just a "HighVersionLie" 5 for the Application Verifier.

Luxor: Damned, thought so - So i have to dig deeper to find out if it's possible/&how I can get my answers for the security requester to be treated as a persistent answer (so that maybe I can answer them for a side within IE once and use the side afterwards with Opera also)

Reply #4
Frenzie: Aehm - for Win7, did I missed to mention x64 often enough? Ah yeah for Opera: of course I am also using Opera 64bit on my 64bit Systems.

I thought Opera/Presto only came in 32-bit on Windows. My bad.

Reply #5
I thought Opera/Presto only came in 32-bit on Windows. My bad.

No Problem there - I am not sure from which O12 Version onward they stopped to advertise it on the download page, but for Prestos latest releases the ftp side was x64 users friend ;)