Skip to main content
Topic: We're back! (Read 12799 times)

We're back!

The dev subdomain was generating a 200% load on the MySQL server, which caused the hosting account to be suspended. Unfortunately I don't know what was causing it.

Re: We're back!

Reply #1
Wasn't aware that there had been a problem, as I was having my own kind of downtime.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #2
I wonder if the thing was hacked? Possible strange code?
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #3
Longstanding question with me...who is paying for keeping this site up and running?

Reply #5
Good morning state mate!

Is this causing a loss of Rubles, Krugerrands, Marks or Dollars? Pounds? Kroner?

Reply #6

Longstanding question with me...who is paying for keeping this site up and running?

The (shared) hosting is paid for by my wife and I. My blog and one or two other domains are all part of the same account. The domain name is funded through generous private contributions. There's enough for another year, but I'm open to securing the future further in advance. However, I haven't investigated if there would be any legal complications.

Reply #7
Keep us posted. I'm willing to help if needed. I'm a big bucks kinda guy.

Reply #9
Good to know it wasn't the fault of one of my devices.  :yes:

Reply #10
Frans Enterprises. I believe it's a Dutch conglomerate of skilled and dedicated entities.

Sorry ensbb3 but I suspect they want to dominate the world. Dutch always do that, fortunately they always fail. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #11
I feel better already.
I thought I must have been banned.

Reply #12

I feel better already.
I thought I must have been banned.

That thought crossed my mind too. Fortunately, I have ways of checking that. Unfortunately, the wording of the display page was such that anybody would wonder if this was personal.
Here, I tried the page on other browsers-- browsers I never sign in on, so no cookies. Nope, no good. So, I went to my blog, where Franz had replied to one of my posts and therefore I had an email address to try. I wrote and asked what happened, and he replied back that there was a problem with the servers. So-- it wasn't anything I said, it wasn't personal. I didn't think it could be, I've said nothing that should give rise to a suspension. But, accounts can be hacked and it's possible a nogoodnik said some stuff under my username-- can't tell about things like that these days.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #16
Well, the host reset the bandwidth for the month. You know that high MySQL load? It was caused by something visiting about 6 pages/second along with trying to register an account a second. Besides overloading the MySQL server, it also ate all of our bandwidth for the month. After complaining the host decided to reset the bandwidth.

I can't say I'm very pleased by the host's response to the situation. We were clearly being targeted, but they don't seem to be very interested in investigating if we can know anything about the perpetrator at all, complain to their ISP, that kind of thing. Instead we were punished twice for being abused.

Edit: btw, the whole domain was being targeted.

HTTP usage thedndsanctuary.eu   18.94 Gig
HTTP usage dev.thedndsanctuary.eu (deleted)   30.16 Gig

Clearly the goal was to take out this site either through overloading the CPU or by exceeding our bandwidth. Annoyingly, thanks to the host's response they (temporarily) succeeded in doing both.

Regular bandwidth use barely even scratches 2 GB on a busy month.

Reply #17
uhmmm that has to be the nsa, putin and isis all together...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #18
Welcome back. This was the seriousest downtime yet. Make your host cooperate on finding the perpetrator, Frenzie.

And thanks for taking good care of our precious intellectual material even when it was targeted :)

Reply #19
So somebody's trying to do a DDOS attack and the host doesn't care? Can you complain to the attacker's ISP yourself?

Reply #20
This "crisis" made me thought that we should have an alternative way of contact.
Basically what the "Internet" was made for....

Point two, who the fuck is trying to destroy DnD?
The host is not important, the attacker is.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #22

So somebody's trying to do a DDOS attack and the host doesn't care? Can you complain to the attacker's ISP yourself?

It seems to have originated from a number of data centers in Poland and in Ukraine. I'll send off an e-mail to to their abuse departments after collecting their e-mail addresses.

Reply #23
Maybe it was a Banned Member???

Banned members don't know how to do it / or don't have the needed resources.
I think this is more serious and I believe that I know why.
A matter of attitude.