Skip to main content
Topic: Customizable menu bar (Read 2865 times)

Customizable menu bar

"Customizable menu bar arrives:" is listed under Weekly report #38 (22-09-2014), however I have been unable to find any menu customisation options in otter-browser-weekly38 or any subsequent builds.

Can anyone advise how to access this functionality?

Re: Customizable menu bar

Reply #1
Doesn't it mean customisable menu bar rather than customisable menus? And no, I don't know how to customise the menu bar either.

Reply #2
There's a JSON file, but I haven't played with it yet. Nor do I know how to customize it from your user profile rather than having it  overwritten by every update.

Reply #3
Just like anything else that is customizable in Otter, the menus are now imported from a user-editable (JSON) file. By default the file doesn't exist and you must create it in the <otter profile>/config directory. So just save menuBar.json there, modify it and run Otter.

If you're looking for a GUI within Otter, there is none. And I doubt it's a high priority, but you'll have to ask Emdek to be sure.

Reply #4

Just like anything else that is customizable in Otter, the menus are now imported from a user-editable (JSON) file. By default the file doesn't exist and you must create it in the <otter profile>/config directory. So just save menuBar.json there, modify it and run Otter.

I discovered that when Otter is built locally, then this and other interesting json files can be found in /otter-browser-0.9.0x-devxx/resources/ directory. So, these can be moved to the profile directory. Is the profile under Linux .config/otter/ or .config/otter/profiles/<profile-name> ?

No matter. I will try to find time to figure this out on my own and perhaps add something to tips and tricks.

Reply #5
I don't use the default profile location, but I believe the file should be ~/.config/otter/config/menuBar.json.

Reply #6
Currently there are no plans for graphical editor (it's kind of bonus feature, for advanced users), but as soon as someone would come with idea for neat UI for it then it might materialize. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.