Skip to main content
Topic: Coal and Pollution (Read 3993 times)

Coal and Pollution

Coal is highly polluting and is still used in many countries, the top ten listed below.
I recall the arrival of the coal truck when I was a child and my father shoveling coal in the morning before he went to work and banking the fire before bedtime.

Obviously, these numbers aren't going to change any time soon.

Any observations?

Rank   Country:                  Amount:   
1   China                   1839.4       
2   US                            502.1       
3   Japan                    117.6       
4   South Africa             93.1       
5   Russian Federation     91.0       
6   South Korea             79.6       
7   Germany                     77.6       
8   Poland                     59.8       
9   Australia                     49.6       
10   Indonesia                     43.7       
==================================
Tony Abbott has some observations at...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/13/tony-abbott-says-coal-is-good-for-humanity-while-opening-mine

Obama recently targeted coal but don't hold your breath

Re: Coal and Pollution

Reply #1
Here in Beijing sometimes we have to.

Reply #2
My country isn't on the lost so that is positive. Well done.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #3
Clear and green day in Beijing, at least this part of Beijing which has currently the second clearest air in China where it's measured. We've almost reached the pure air of Los Angeles, California.

Reply #5
I meant places measured published by the AQICN site. Sweden for instance isn't air pollution free, just because there are no stations listed (that said, Sweden does quite well air pollution wise).

Speaking of Scandinavia, outside that thread: Scandinavia, much like Canada, suffered ecological warfare from their southern neighbours in the 70s and 80s. The acid rain killed of marine life (those juicy-sweet fishes) in half the lakes in Southern Norway, and that sulphur was predominantly from coal. The continent changed during the 80s and 90s, the collapse of the communist system in the East and their pollution-producing, value-destroying factories helped a lot, but the UK kept polluting long after that. More stringent rules have made SO2 pollution mostly a thing of the past in Europe, CO2 is another matter:

New coal power stations threat to EU’s emissions target

Reply #6
My home town is at 40.

Reply #7
My home town is at 40.
We register 69 here, not a surprising number for LV :left: Actually, that seems to be near Lake Mead Blvd, most of LV is in the teens to match our healthy lifestyles (32.81 % healthier than Glaswegians' as everybody knows. )

Reply #8
Tongzhou New City has been down to *16*, which is pretty impressive. The measuring station is a little away from here, but close enough. Now it is up to a more comfortable 153 ("Unhealthy").

Oslo has 8-30, except a park that for unknown reasons has 61, and it is too late in the year to be grilling. Stockholm is off the chart.

Reply #9
Around here* it's currently 70.

* Well, technically 7 km north of here, in the harbor.

Reply #10
Around here we don't use much, if any, coal. Instead we use hydroelectric from the Hoover Dam. There is the potential for a lot of pollution, with the city completely surrounded by mountains and a fast growing population, though. I guess that's there's mandatory smog checks for all cars older than 3 years. I'm not exactly sure why that one area reads a 69, but everyplace else (including around the airport) is in the mid to high teens, since we don't have any heavy industry or anything. That's a few miles south of the Airforce base, but they use solar.

Reply #11
everyplace else (including around the airport)

Glimpsing at the few Belgian locations on that site, the one right next to Brussels Airport looks the very cleanest (currently 26).

Edit: oh wait, there's a 25 close to the Belgian/German border. But that's only right now, while the history shows it was up into moderate recently as well.

Reply #12
Presumably the instrument at Banning Airport, CA is malfunctioning, consistently registering a hefty 830 when not registering results in the 40's.

A couple of the ones at LV list minimum, rather than maximum, value. The algorithm is to convert the measured concentration of pollutants (PM2.5, PM10, O3, NO2, SO2, CO) into a number (according to a given formula) and then display the maximum of of these. Some don't have the full battery of tests, PM2.5 tends to score highest, and thus show considerably lower value than the neighbours.

Reply #13
My solution is a very simple one, make them eat the coal they use. Americans, Chinese, whatever.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
Nice example jax but China is still having an ongoing pollution challenge.

Reply #16
Now that is far nearer the truth.

Reply #17
 :knight: I deal only in the truth. :knight:

Reply #18
And it was Mid-October (as in the Guardian-article) I griped about the air in the beginning of the thread, when the air was unseasonably bad, that is with high level of airborne dust (PM2.5).

The theory was that the dust factories had to produce dust overtime in the middle of October, as the beginning of the month had the national week-long vacation, and the beginning of November had the APEC meeting, which was supposed to be dust-free. After that normality seemingly ensued, but there will probably be some seriously dusty days in Northern China come winter.

Reply #19
Oh the Guardian that explains it!