Skip to main content
Topic: Security questions and other spam stuff (Read 2956 times)

Security questions and other spam stuff

They're working, but we'd need better ones.

https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=6.msg64#msg64

Right now [the forum] sends [e-mails] on behalf of my Gmail account, but I should probably set it up as something like no-reply@dnd.fransdejonge.com which will ignore whatever spam comes its way.

Re: Security questions

Reply #1
Quote from: string
Although the point of gaining other members is indeed vital, that's for when the site is ready for it. But as I understand it mjm's comment was not actually a critique on that precisely (sorry for that misunderstanding mjm) but about the question asked to root out auto-spam entries. I like the idea of a question if one can be formulated which could be understood equally well across the world. Maybe In what country is the Eiffel Tower? or where is the great wall  of China? or Enter in letters the sum of 2 and 3.

I've replaced the myopera question with the last question. Let's see if we get any spam registrations.

Reply #2
I didn't see any trouble with "MyOpera"! Oh, with "Mary" -- did! ???
(I like the "Quick Reply" option! I anyway alway preview my submissions!)

Reply #3
If we are to entice new members not many of them will have heard of My Opera or D&D. On the other hand the last question should be clear to a human (*) in that the answer is not 5 but five and hopefully that is not obvious to a program. (*) if it's not obvious to a human then maybe don't want that human to join!

Reply #5
Ask:
The date of our parent forum's demise? (M/D)

Everyone should understand and know that... if they belong here.

Reply #6
That's much better conceived than my myopera question, but not so good on potential new applicants.

Re: Security questions and other spam stuff

Reply #7
eNter tHe caPped leTterS. 

I'll give some thought to more long term possibilities.

Reply #8
Interesting. Unfortunately the system only allows one answer and is case insensitive. I did see a mod that allows you to put in regexes instead, which would be much more interesting. The version 2.1 currently in alpha is also supposed to feature more functional questions.

Reply #9
This is a very interesting suggestion.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=14978442
Quote from: SmileyFaze date=1383351450

Quote from: Frenzie
Unfortunately spam bots have become quite adept at answering such questions. Or rather, the spam bots can simply ask Google. But I suppose it's worth a try; maybe I'm overestimating the spam bots. I am sure, however, that they can break CAPTCHAs better than humans.

The best CAPTCHA I ever saw was it's simplicity.

You were asked to convert the word or phrase above.

A Word:

ǝldɯɐxǝ
or
ǝxɐɯdlǝ

The answer you would need to type in is    example

A Phrase:

uıɐɹʇ ǝɥʇ ǝpısƃuolɐ uɐɹ ʎoq ǝɥʇ       
or     
ʇɥǝ qoʎ ɹɐu ɐlouƃsıpǝ ʇɥǝ ʇɹɐıu

The answer you would need to type in is   the boy ran alongside the train

Fairly simple for a human to comprehend (regardless of state of origin), but not so easy for a logical machine (SPAM bot) to decipher.

You can play making words & phrases...etc...etc.... here..........I can't for the life of me remember where the actual CAPTCHA was used???