Skip to main content
Topic: The Russian Invasion of The Ukraine --- Is War on the Horizon? (Read 36544 times)

Re: The Russian Invasion of The Ukraine --- Is War on the Horizon?

Reply #125

As ever, Jim, the bold innovator.
Tennessee is a place you come from, not a place you go to.
Defying the odds, I came, I saw, I conquered.

It's all those double letters, isn't it. You were pining for Tallahassee.

Tallahassee is a good place. Warm. Sunny. Beautiful.

Reply #126

And what about double letters in double syllables? Mississippi comes to mind.

Reply #127

Yanks are in an even narrower band than that, Sang. Specifically, New England states, particularly Upstate New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts, with New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine thrown in for good measure.

Depends. It was explained to me more or less like this:
Outside the US Yankee == American
South of the Mason-Dixon line it's anyone from north of the Mason-Dixon line.
North of the Mason-Dixon line it means anyone from the New England area.
In the New England area it's someone with dutch heritage.
The latter may be spurious though, my wife's parents are from Buffalo, they refer to themselves as Yanks even though their grandparents came from Sicily, but wouldn't be caught dead using that term on anyone from further south.

Reply #128

It would have to be a pair of double letters, otherwise you might end up with an unexpected visitor to Eurobodalla.

Reply #129
No double letters, but I like syzygy because it has none of those damned vowels.

Ths mn hts vwls.

Reply #130
Myssyssyppy for you.

Reply #135
 :bye:

Reply #136
That's what I thought until I saw this "fake passport of Uzbekistan" offering.

I've always wanted to crash Uzbekistan without going through the trouble of getting a passport.

Wonder if he can get naked pics of Sarah Palin?

Now, back to the invasion of Ukraine!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/29/business/international/in-reversal-germany-cools-to-russian-investment.html?action=click&contentCollection=Europe&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Reply #138
This "invasion" title is a nonsense except to those brained easily.

Ukraine was in a state before the recent events and is tottering on the edge of financial collapse and has a hard and drastic financial policy via austerity. Pensioners not paid for months, soldiers likewise and corruption the rule of the day. It is also ruled by it's own oligarch as President. Kiev had a coup against a properly elected government even if the leader wasn't that great and when they set up their new system they did no involve the east nor consult and wonder why the 2 provinces were mad. Kiev shot itself in the foot with that thinking as a lot of the heavy industry is in those two areas At least pensioners in Crimea after the place voted to RETURN home get a bigger pension and regularly now. Mind you I would not be surprised if the US taxpayer needed up keeping Ukraine afloat and like other places be viewed as the latest expansion for corporates and such.  :D
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #139
The usual caveat though with the map above, it is based on the perception of corruption, which means that when people get serious about tackling corruption the level of corruption will seemingly go up as corrupt affairs will be uncovered.

There's a new 2014 perception of corruption map at http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Reply #141
Entrez-vous, Russian tanks, and boil alive.

Reply #142
Another Western (Finnish) composer of scenarios has come up with the following for now:

Scenario #1: Something unexpected will happen to Putin, causing uncertainty regarding the successor. Legally, the prime minister (Mishustin) is next in line, but he'd be a puppet and someone else would be pulling the strings. In Russia, it is illegal to suggest and discuss this scenario.

Scenario #2: Putin stays in power, further tightening his grip and making life worse for ordinary citizens. The war would continue and Russia would keep bringing up the possible use of tactical nuclear weapons. Opposition's underground activities may enliven, but the overall situation would remain largely unchanged for long.

Scenario #3: The elite surrounding Putin gets fed up with the war and replaces him, possibly citing his health as a reason and making the shift appear as orderly and controlled as possible. The overall situation would continue as is. The most favourable moment for this scenario is next year's presidential elections.

Scenario #4: General discontent causes mass protests. Anybody can become next leader. The unrest and chaos may continue for long.

Scenario #5: Regions rebel. The centre would lose power, similar to the times of the collapse of Soviet Union.

Scenario #6: Infighting between the country's military groupings. (Could Prigozhin challenge Putin?)

At the end of the article, you can vote your favourite/likeliest scenario. I voted in agreement with the experts, which is #2. Amazingly, Finns in general also agree.

Reply #143
More scenarios: An American general points out four options for Ukrainian counteroffensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTdOdhKdtBU

In my opinion, Ukrainian counteroffensive has already begun. It began at the latest with the Belgorod diversion.[1] It began silently and cautiously. The desire for victory is strong, but so is the need to avoid mistakes and failure.

The idea about a huge counteroffensive may have been thrown out at first as propaganda to scare Russians. It took on a life of its own and now there is high pressure to make it happen. It was called Spring Offensive, but now we are in summer, so the timing has been a miscalculation. Also, USA finally agreed to give some fighter jets, but if the counteroffensive is to include those, the delivery and training of pilots takes its time. So one way to look at it is that the huge counteroffensive will take some more time to prepare. But in my opinion it already started and this is what it looks like.
Ukraine is denying responsibility, but the diversants were in Ukrainian uniform (complete with signs in the colours of Ukrainian flag) and carried Ukrainian equipment, so the diversants are not quite 'green men' and not quite intra-Russian insurrectionists. Ukraine denies responsibility because the West is opposed to Ukraine's operations on Russian soil. Meaning, the West's position is that only Russia is allowed to invade, occupy and conquer (well, Western traditional colonial powers can do it too of course), not anyone else, not even when being invaded and occupied.