Skip to main content
Topic: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland? (Read 132618 times)

Re: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland?

Reply #425
I don't understand how a war vessel can be searched by customs officials.
I thought the same thing. Also, in Estonia nobody resigns easily. They don't resign when they are criminal suspects. Sometimes they don't resign even after a court order (most recently this year with the mayor of Tallinn). But here two officers resigned over a customs inspection and, according to Estonian news, there's a private who got the direct charge, not the officers. Moreover, the story is somehow regarded reports-worthy in Western media. This case is fishy in many different ways.

@krake If you want to make Estonia look bad, post the stories when our officials DON'T resign when implicated for, for example, treason. Except that that somehow does not make it into Western news.

Reply #427
I don't understand how a war vessel can be searched by customs officials.
I thought the same thing.
I'm not really sure what else you'd expect?
There are things the military is immune to. From the reporting it appears the customs officials searched the ship. I'd expect it be possible that the sailors, as they land, have to go through customs with their belongings, but not that the ship gets searched. This is how it works in Russia. And apparently in Portugal too.

Reply #428
Of course never customs agents could ever search a ,military ship. They would be arrested by the military forces.
Custom agents, as well as the police, don't have jurisdiction over military personel or their material, facilities or anything else.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #429
but not that the ship gets searched.
Afaik ships of any kind aren't normally searched regardless, except perhaps as a random sample or training exercise. But are you talking about a difference without distinction which may well be lost in translation, like which specific organization has the jurisdiction to perform such duties,[1] or are you saying that the Russian military has a carte blanche?
For example, in the Netherlands there are four branches of the military: the land force, the air force, the navy, and military police. The latter would probably be responsible for this kind of thing.

Reply #430
...and military police. The latter would probably be responsible for this kind of thing.
That's right, the ordinary customs officials don't get to do it.

I don't think anything got lost in translation, but much could have gone lost in reporting, because our reporters are usually some high school students and when they stick with the career, they remain at high school level. Even though this is the kind of news that should have been assigned to some real journalist.

The same way as there's diplomatic immunity - a foreign diplomat may be caught for shop-lifting, but the (ordinary) police doesn't get to treat him like just another shop-lifter - there's also some level of immunity for the military equipment and personnel.

Reply #431
@krake If you want to make Estonia look bad,
Nah. I just found it funny. Dual-use military exercises. :)

I don't think anything got lost in translation, but much could have gone lost in reporting, because our reporters are usually some high school students and when they stick with the career, they remain at high school level. Even though this is the kind of news that should have been assigned to some real journalist.
Presumably lost on purpose, rather than because of dilettantism... ;)

Reply #432
At my time, a military could only be arrested if by another military of higher rank.

I'm not admired if these days a mere shitty police could arrest a General, such is the pacifist foolish that Europeans take care with of their defense forces.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #434
Generally Sweden has been a reasonable place to live so an interesting story. Unfortunately elsewhere and in places like the capital and such there are no-go areas due to immigrants and the police are losing 3 officers a day chucking the service. Change days.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #435
Two of those claimed "no-go zones" are next to me (20 and 30 minutes walk away). The first no-go zone I go to regularly, last there the day before yesterday, the second not so often, during summertime (probably winter too if I had enjoyed skiing).

Reply #437
Football: Last night Estonia took an honorable 0-0 tie against Scotland.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FV9hY8LSjA[/video]

Reply #438
Odd game with no supporters. Didn't know about the event as I tend only to note football when the 2 Glasgow giants play each other namely Rangers v Celtic. Both have religious undertones so I go for Rangers!

Reply #440
Huh, that's kinda cool.

Finland and Formula 1

Reply #441
Finland is doing pretty well in Formula 1 Racing, too.

Reply #442
That daft Swedish thing was seen on a news item and how immature and damn silly.

Reply #443
There's a first for everything, First ever Swede named as cardinal by Pope Francis

First ever Swede named as cardinal by Pope Francis
Bishop Anders Arborelius with Pope Francis in the Vatican in 2016. Credit: L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP/TT
In a historic appointment by Pope Francis on Sunday, Bishop Anders Arborelius was the first ever Swede to become a cardinal.
In a surprise announcement on Sunday, Pope Francis named a total of five new cardinals, from Mali, Laos, El Salvador, Spain – and Bishop Anders Arborelius from Sweden. 

READ ALSO: Pope Francis holds Catholic mass in secular Sweden

Except for Spain, all countries are peripheral in the Catholic world. Particularly Sweden, with its strongly secular profile, stood out, said Douglas Brommesson, a political scientist at Lund University who has studied the role of the Catholic church in international politics.

"But this is somewhat in line with the Pope's way of thinking. He has named cardinals in countries that are poor or that are located far away from Rome previously. It is likely a way of getting perspectives from other countries than the typically Catholic countries," Brommesson told TT newswire.

"I suppose this is a great encouragement for the Catholic church in Sweden. The Pope visited Sweden recently, and Sweden has in a short period of time ended up at the centre of the life of the Catholic church. That is, of course, encouraging," he added.

READ ALSO: Pope: Why Swedish men look for non-Swedish women

Apart from being the first ever Swede to be appointed as cardinal, 67-year-old Anders Arborelius became the first Catholic bishop of Swedish descent since the reformation in the 16th century in Sweden when he was named Bishop of Stockholm in 1998.

The cardinals belong to an elite group of members of the Catholic church, acting as the closest advisors to the Pope. Cardinals aged under 80 are also allowed to take part in the naming of a new Pope, which is why the Catholic church aims for having approximately 120 cardinals aged under 80.

Reply #444
(Groan)  :faint:

Reply #445
Estonia wants to launch its own government-backed cryptocurrency called 'estcoin'

Kaspar Korjus, managing director at e-Residency, Enterprise Estonia, said that the initiative was about creating a "borderless digital nation".
-
Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid said that her nation was "the only truly digital society," underpinned by the state.

Reply #447
Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid said that her nation was "the only truly digital society,"
Yeap... and Ersi the only truly digital guru in the world. Well, assuming he solved his problem with the
e-readers he's always complaining about.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #448
Worst known governmental leak ever is slowly coming to light: Agency moved nation’s secret data to “The Cloud”
There is no cloud, only somebody else’s computer.
;)

Now the funny part of the story:
The responsible director has been found guilty in criminal court of the whole affair, and sentenced to the harshest sentence ever seen in Swedish government
  :no:

She was docked half a month’s paycheck.
:lol:

Paycheck

Reply #449
That must be a huge paycheck. :left: