Skip to main content
Topic: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland? (Read 133398 times)

Re: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland?

Reply #375
You folks are going to destroy yourselves, even after all the help the U.S. has given you…
What help the U.S. has given exactly?

Rhetorical question, of course. It will be funny if you attempt to answer it.

Reply #376
You folks are going to destroy yourselves, even after all the help the U.S. has given you… (Assuming that ersi, Howie and Belfrager are representative…! Of course, they're not. Nor am I representative of the American electorate.)

What do you do against ISIS and Russia…? Putin and al Bagadii?
Unfortunately, there are many prejudices floating around the world and nearly no nation or country gets left out.
I can't tell if you're representative or not for how Americans see and perceive the world. For sure you aren't on these forums at least.
However one thing I can assure you with certainty though.
You manage to personify all negative prejudices an European can have towards Americans.

Reply #377
You manage to personify all negative prejudices an European can have towards Americans.
That's…interesting! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #378
If the European in question is rjhowie, that would be quite impressive.

Reply #379
Help the US has given? What pompous imperialsitic guff is that?

The country that Oakdale represents is run by the corporates. War after war created and especially on countries that will not bend the knee to the USA and the money me and military. One usually finds that after doing a country in America then goes on to have the corporate business minds in to make money. An then throw on that rather pathetic guff about Russia? When Russia has hundred of military bases everywhere doing what the US does then there is a debate to be had. Arrogance and hypocrisy on Oakdale's limited mind path. That there are ex-colonists who are more in the real world is great to hear of. Will leave it at that and have a laugh at what passes for an electoral system over there"
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #380
War after war created […]
Europe's history is not exactly "clean" in that respect. You might have heard of the two World Wars…
And the centuries of wars before them? Nah.
Would that you'd been a Quaker here, RJ: You'd have at least got an 8th grade education! :)
进行 ...

Reply #381
Not at all, he's the only American Dadaist I ever found...

A reviewer from the American Art News stated at the time that "Dada philosophy is the sickest, most paralyzing and most destructive thing that has ever originated from the brain of man." Art historians have described Dada as being, in large part, a "reaction to what many of these artists saw as nothing more than an insane spectacle of collective homicide."[10]

Years later, Dada artists described the movement as "a phenomenon bursting forth in the midst of the postwar economic and moral crisis, a savior, a monster, which would lay waste to everything in its path... [It was] a systematic work of destruction and demoralization... In the end it became nothing but an act of sacrilege."
:wine:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #382
Not at all, he's the only American Dadaist I ever found...
Cites or argument, please?
If that's too complicated for you -a university-educated European- perhaps you  could… No. You can't. Go back to your prejudices
That's what you do, mostly.
进行 ...

Reply #383
Cites or argument, please?
Open your eyes Oakdale, I've posted a self explanatory quote for Dadaism in order to help non saviors to identify it with you.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #384
I submit that his embodying all negative prejudices and being a Dadaist defined as "the sickest, most paralyzing and most destructive thing that has ever originated" and "a phenomenon bursting forth in the midst of the postwar economic and moral crisis, a savior, a monster, which would lay waste to everything in its path..." are in no way mutually exclusive. And his anti-semeticness nicely completes the picture.

Reply #385
When Europe is overrun by the Islamic fundie lot and the two of them are refugees, I offer a personal welcome and invitation to @Belfrager and @rjhowie to set up a Portuguese and Scottish pub in the 3rd world state of the US, the great sovereign state of Mississippi.

Oxford, MS, could benefit from @Belfrager's wine pub, and @rjhowie could prove my years of argument right about having a proper pub. :cheers: :wine: :beer:

Reply #387
When Europe is overrun by the Islamic fundie lot ...
No hard feelings Colonel but that's not even so far fetched as it might look at first glance.  :wine:
Those fundie lot or even worse, their main sponsor worldwide are (for now) 'our' dear friends and strategic allies in the Middle East. They have oil and some hundreds of billions invested in the USA.
And if this wouldn't be enough, our lovely leader (I mean the Leader of the Free World) is urging now Europe to admit Turkey (just another venerable player) in the EU. Victoria Nuland comes to my mind - "F*ck the EU".
The sultan from Ankara doesn't have neither oil nor did he invest hundreds of billions in the USA but Turkey is geographically an extremly important geostrategic hub for further US expansion towards East and Middle East.

BTW, within a short time Turks will be permitted to enter the EU without visa. At least a few millions of charming visitors are expected at first run...

Reply #389
I am not a drinker and stick to Irn Bru (diet version!). However I could assure the Southern boy that a traditional Scots pub would be an asset to his State.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #390
A bit old, but I just came across this article.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/4/639.long
Health-promoting effects of the Mediterranean diet have been in focus for decades, whereas less interest has been given to existing healthy dietary habits within other Western cultures. […] A healthy Nordic food index, consisting of traditional Nordic food items with expected health-promoting effects (fish, cabbages, rye bread, oatmeal, apples and pears, and root vegetables), was extracted and associated with mortality by Cox proportional hazard models. […] In conclusion, an index based on traditional healthy Nordic foods was found to be related to lower mortality among middle-aged Danes, in particular among men. This study indicates that traditional, healthy food items should be considered before public recommendations for major dietary changes are made.

Reply #391
Or more reasonably,  the "so-called" experts don't know much… :)
Go figure!
进行 ...

Reply #392
In conclusion, an index based on traditional healthy Nordic foods was found to be related to lower mortality among middle-aged Danes, in particular among men
What a f*cking conclusion, healthy Danese food kills less Danese, specially men.
Wau, I'm impressed how such conclusion demonstrates the Mediterranean diet to be worst than the Nordic "diet".
A matter of attitude.

Reply #393
Wau, I'm impressed how such conclusion demonstrates the Mediterranean diet to be worst than the Nordic "diet".
That's really not what they were saying. Rather, it's yet another study corroborating my semi-educated hunch that (most) traditional dietary habits probably have something going for them. Or to summarize my food philosophy in one sentence: overly processed food[1] not only tastes yucky, but long-term it's bad for you.
My way of trying to avoid "haha! cheese is processed and so are frozen veggies!!!111" type responses.

Reply #394
That's really not what they were saying
I know, but that's what they would like to say, so I antecipate the future and put things straight. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #395
Fair enough. :P

Reply #396
Summer is going on now. This time lapse is from Helsinki, the extreme south of Finland, and on the same latitude as Stockholm and Oslo (or St. Petersburg, or a little to the south of Anchorage).

Left in the winter, right in the summer (if anyone were in doubt).

https://youtu.be/nTjyt-6hJQw

Reply #397
How do you sleep? :sherlock:

Reply #398
Using advanced technology: curtains. More so up north where there is no night at all.

Reply #399
Nice video, jax. However, the photography makes the summer side appear darker than it really is. On the summer side, it seems to get really dark after 22, but streetlights turn on only just before midnight. This means that there's actually enough light until that time to keep streetlights off.

The streetlights turn on just before midnight and then off again just after 3. The sun makes a brief setting around those hours in summer, but stays close enough to the horizon to still shed some light.

In winter, on the other hand, the sun is up in the middle of the day, but so briefly that those who work at ordinary office hours arrive at work and depart in complete darkness.