Skip to main content
Topic: When Will The Middle East Be At Peace? (Read 4716 times)

When Will The Middle East Be At Peace?

Presumably, the problems that exist in the Middle East will dissipate, but one wonders how long it will take. It would be easy to blame the foundation of Israel for much that is wrong, but that would be too easy. The area has too many tin-horn dictators and religious tyrants for that.

My hope is that the US stays out mounting problems in Syria. We've done too much damage in the region, and east of there, already.

Re: When Will The Middle East Be At Peace?

Reply #1
My old list of issues to resolve, in condensed bullet point version:

• Israel

• Kurdistan

• Iran

With the assumption that each point would be more difficult than the previous.

I have seen the conflict between Israel and its neighbours as basically solved, Israel won, moving on. Unfortunately Israel doesn't seem to think so.

We are into Kurdistan now. Kurdistan is like Israel, only involving more people and more parties. Kurdistan is the symptom as much as the cause, national boundaries that do not, and can not, match ethnic and personal ambitions. Kurdistan is anyway increasingly likely to be the outcome.

Much of what is happening can be seen as a proxy war between Saudi-Arabia and Iran. Other countries in West Asia and North Africa are involved too, but these are the two major players.

Reply #2
Concise answer - no.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #3
There will be no peace in the middle east until oil is no longer the main source of energy for the world.

I agree with Jax; the former colony drawn up by the UK simply must split. Without utter loons like Saddam in power, there can be no democracy in the state formerly known as Iraq. Kurdistan will come to be, and it will irritate Turkey.

Yet, in the bulleted list, all are united as one against ISIL. That's something to work with on improving relations perhaps?

Reply #4
The oil will run out, and the West will have learned to do without it. The Middle East will have pissed their billions up against a wall and can go back to eating camel shit for all I, and most of the West, care. The West will also have learned to exact payment for armaments in advance.

Reply #6
Aw that is a sad side point and you don't even come from Edinburgh.  :(
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #7

The oil will run out, and the West will have learned to do without it.

I wouldn't be so sure.
By then another fluid might become much more precious than oil is today - WATER!

Reply #8
Their Environments , and societies are insanely extreme .

A Peace ? how about no ? :spock:

it is simply because,  insane people are born from insane environments and insane societies .

if Their Environments , and societies are Peaceful .
probably there are lesser chance of wars , Conflitcs, etc .

also , Insane environments , insane societies , and insane people  perhaps deserves some insane sollutions .

probably some ideas like :

None of them are allowed to have children from those who identified have insane Genetics .

if that methodes combined with land restructurations ....  :idea:

...........ok , this is just    epic BS .

Nvm it ...   :faint:

Reply #9

it is simply because,  insane people are born from insane environments and insane societies .

Are you suggesting that Jesus was born in an insane enviroment?  :eyes:

Reply #10
i was suggesting for - in the now world .

not the past .

reasons :

the past and the future are just too fragile , can easily trapped in the  argumentum ad ignorantium , and gray fallacy , etc.

Reply #11
There seems to be no interest in the Middle East to teach succeeding generations not to hate, so there is no foreseeable end to it.  Besides, this universe will peter out in the next few trillion years and one cannot expect ME peace overnight.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #13

Are you suggesting that Jesus was born in an insane enviroment?  :eyes:

Well, it was supposedly quite stable.

So someone must have turned it into unstable.  :left:

Reply #14
The water boils and the pressure cooker needs a valve.
It was much worst when located at other places.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #15
Well, Syria, Israel, Hezbollah, the US and Russia, Jordan, Iran and Saudi-Arabia, and no longer squabbling Kurdish groups are all in agreement in the Middle East.

Mideast Rivals Come Together Against ISIL

President Obama calls the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant a “cancer.” Hassan Nasrallah, leader of Lebanon’s Hezbollah, describes ISIL as a “monster.” Sheikh Abdul Aziz al-Sheikh, Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, ranks al-Qaeda and ISIL, also known as ISIS, as “Enemy No. 1″ of Islam. And President Hassan Rouhani of Iran warns Muslim states to beware of “these savage terrorists,” for “tomorrow you will be targeted,” too, by ISIL.

The unanimity of hatred and fear toward the ISIL militants rampaging through Syria and Iraq is testament both to the threat they pose and to an unusual opportunity. Not since Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait 24 years ago have the region’s most powerful players expressed such animus toward a common enemy. That’s because ISIL’s goal of replacing national boundaries in the Middle East with a Sunni Muslim caliphate threatens not just the usual “infidels”—Christians, Jews, Shiites, and other non-Sunni Muslim minorities—but the nation-states themselves.

With U.S. involvement heating up, a de facto coalition of the willing is already confronting ISIL. Hezbollah guerrillas are fighting the militants in Lebanon and Syria; Kurdish soldiers and U.S. warplanes are hitting ISIL militia in northern Iraq; Saudi troops are facing down ISIL along the southern Iraq border; and Iranian Revolutionary Guards, according to Reuters, are protecting Shiite holy sites near Baghdad.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axb2sHpGwHQ[/video]

Reply #16

The oil will run out, and the West will have learned to do without it. The Middle East will have pissed their billions up against a wall and can go back to eating camel shit for all I, and most of the West, care. The West will also have learned to exact payment for armaments in advance.
The Middle East consists of countries with a lot of people and little oil (like Egypt and Turkey), and countries with little people and lots of oil (the Gulf States), and a couple that have both, Iraq and Iran. Only the countries that have oil will care as sellers about it running out. The Gulf States are turning some of that income into Sovereign Wealth Funds, and into making cities of tomorrow with spectacular buildings.

UAE/Dubai and Qatar/Doha also has built up the airport/airline infrastructure (Emirates and Qatar Airlines respectively), betting on the oil not running out that quickly, turning Dubai (and perhaps Doha) into the big exchange station between Australia/South Asia and Europe, competing with Singapore, and between Africa and Asia and parts of Europe. I am on my way to Dubai now, it's a southern detour from Prague to Hong Kong. I think the airport gamble should work out, at least until most planes have range enough to fly direct.

Saudi Arabia has invested in Muslims, and they do have Mecca and Medina.

Reply #17
I think the airport gamble should work out, at least until most planes have range enough to fly direct.

The more jet fuel you take on board, the more of it you have to burn to schlepp it along — especially during the first half of the trip. Besides, don't you need to exchange pilots so they can rest or some such? Such long direct flights may not make much sense outside of a certain niche.

Reply #18

Back to the present days, the 777 has a long range, especially in the ER versions. The trick is to be relatively energy-efficient. From Wikipedia

On November 10, 2005, the first -200LR set a record for the longest non-stop flight of a passenger airliner by flying 11,664 nautical miles (21,602 km) eastward from Hong Kong to London.[7] Lasting 22 hours and 42 minutes, the flight surpassed the -200LR's standard design range and was logged in the Guinness World Records.[6][88]

777-8X

The 777-8X is similar in length as the 777-300ER with seating for about 350 passengers in a three-class configuration and has a range of 9,300 nmi (17,200 km) or more. It is to take the place of the -200LR and be a direct competitor to the Airbus A350-1000.[13][27][34] The internal cabin width will be greater to make a 10 abreast configuration in economy more comfortable at 19 ft 7 in (5.97 m) versus the 5.86 m width of previous 777 models.[13] Boeing has just released a configuration that will allow for 45.72 cm (18.0 in) wide seats at 10 abreast economy.

A350-900
The −900R variant has been proposed but not yet launched. It would feature the higher engine thrust, strengthened structure and undercarriage of the −1000.[127] Range of the A350-900R was estimated to 17,600 km (9,500 nmi), which would be boosted to about 19,100 km (10,315 nmi) by these design improvements to compete with the Boeing 777-200LR and be capable of non-stop flight from London-Heathrow to Auckland.

The journey at 21,600 km is longer than a normal commercial flights, but it was going eastwards from Hong Kong to London. The minimal distance between the two is about 9600 km, and that is about as far as you can travel from Europe to East Asia. 20,000 km is the distance between the antipodes, so basically the long-range flights can go anywhere.