Skip to main content
Topic: PALE MOON -- an open-source, cross-platform browser based on Mozilla Firefox. (Read 5049 times)

PALE MOON -- an open-source, cross-platform browser based on Mozilla Firefox.

Quote from:      http://www.palemoon.org/    

Pale Moon is an Open Source, Firefox-based web browser available for Microsoft Windows and Linux, focusing on efficiency and ease of use. Make sure to get the most out of your browser!

Pale Moon offers you a browsing experience in a browser completely built from its own source with carefully selected features and optimizations to maximize the browser's speed*, stability and user experience, while maintaining compatibility with thousands of Firefox extensions many have come to love and rely on.............continued

About the Pale Moon user interface layout, & why it will look & act somewhat different
to the new Mozilla FireFox, especially when it comes to Australis.

Several people have asked why Pale Moon has not followed the Firefox GUI (Graphical User Interface) layout. This document aims to provide a bit of background to the choices made in Pale Moon and to explain the reasoning behind the differences with Firefox.
These layout changes were not done lightly, or without thought. The fact that the end result looks more conservative is not necessarily because Pale Moon is adverse to change, far from it. Rather, the layout is the result of working with the existing elements and attempting to keep things logical, efficient and intuitive. It is also because the design choices in Firefox were considered regression rather than progression, and there being very little that is truly "innovative" about the layout (as that implies good reason for, and a clear and unmistakable advantage of, the new state of things)..........continued

Pale Moon author confirms that browser will not ship with EME, ads or Australis

Quote from:      gHACKS.net     http://tinyurl.com/nsn6woa    
There is no doubt about it that Mozilla has improved the Firefox web browser a lot ever since it switched to the rapid release cycle. I'm referring to performance and web standards improvements first and foremost.

There is also no doubt that Mozilla made several questionable decisions in that time as well. The controversial launch of the new Australis interface in Firefox 29, announcement that the organization will integrate Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) into the browser, or that it will display sponsored tiles on the browser's new tab page.

Mozilla has been criticized for all three of those decisions and it is likely that at least some users made the switch to another browser as a consequence.

One of the alternatives that gets mentioned regularly is Pale Moon. The Firefox spin-off is available for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows and for Linux.

[glow=green,2,300]It is not just a simple rebuild of Firefox though. This becomes apparent when you try to find the three features Mozilla is criticized for in Pale Moon.[/glow]

The short answer is that they are not part of the browser. The author of Pale Moon confirmed previously that the web browser won't switch the interface to the Australis design but will keep Firefox's original layout and design instead.........continued
[/size]

[glow=blue,2,300]Pale Moon Project HomePage [/glow]  at   http://www.palemoon.org/

Pale Moon for Linux *

* Further assistance with Pale Moon for Linux

Pale Moon for Windows                 Pale Moon Portable Browser for Windows      Here    &    Here

I'm using Windows 7 sp1

I usually use Pale Moon like I use most programs, in it's Portable Version -- located on my laptop's hard drive. I haven't found any reliance/dependency on other system files, folders, or resources to date -- specifically the registry.

My basic minimum configuration consists of the Pale Moon Portable v24.7.1 & only 2 extensions -- Custom Buttons & Speed Dial

I have two (2) other Profiles located in the Portable program's   \User\Palemoon\Profiles  folder, that I rename, dependent on which profile I plan on using. 

One (1) of those profiles is totally full blown with over 50+ extensions, & about a dozen Greasemonkey scripts,
while the other is totally basic -- strictly out-of-the-box.

Any of these Pale Moon configurations can be run simultaneously along side of my full blown FireFox Portable v24.7.0 ESR  --  without any apparent side affects to either application.

Re: PALE MOON -- an open-source, cross-platform browser based on Mozilla Firefox.

Reply #1
I'll have to check it out sometime. :)

Re: PALE MOON -- an open-source, cross-platform browser based on Mozilla Firefox.

Reply #3

I'll have to check it out sometime. :)

If & when you do, if I can assist you in any way, please don't hesitate to PM me.

How it works, & specifically why it does what it does is technically beyond me for the most part, but I can usually configure it & get it up & running on Windows pretty well.

Reply #4
[glow=black,2,300]Pale Moon 25.1[/glow]     has been released which is a significant update of the browser, adding new features and focusing on compatibility with the currently rapidly evolving Web. More details in the release notes.

Still no [glow=green,2,300]Australis GUI, [/glow]& according to the Pale Moon Team, there never will be!  

So, if you are into Firefox, or have been turned off by Australis, this might just do the trick for ya! 

Reply #5
[glow=black,2,300]Pale Moon 25.2.1[/glow]     has been released.

This is an important update after rapid development on the back-end to extend browser capabilities and implement some ES6 draft functions for web programmers, as well as provide some important crashfixes, bugfixes and security updates.

More details in the release notes.

Pssssssssssssssst  .............  as promised, still no Australis GUI

Reply #6
i'm interested in trying this out, is there a .deb file for it?
“I kill monsters and zombies with infeasibly large plasma-based weaponry”

Reply #7

i'm interested in trying this out, is there a .deb file for it?

There's an installation script for it, applicable to all distros http://pm4linux.sourceforge.net/ It should work like a walkthrough.

I have not tried this Pale Moon thing, but I have Seamonkey which, I suspect, installs in a similar manner. Annoyingly, it only installs for a single user and is very hard to install for the entire system, for all users.

I have tried following some instructions to install it for the entire system, but it did not work. The only way is to look carefully on the web if someone has made a build that should work. Seamonkey has such a build for my distro (Manjaro).

Btw, also Otter is easy to install on Manjaro, because there's a package maintainer for my distro who is doing his job. Without it, Otter's dependencies would be impossible to compile.

Reply #9
/opt is where you would install software that isn't part of the distribution for all users. A symlink in /usr/bin would take care of the PATH. You might still want a .desktop file.

Reply #10

@ultraviolet

I found these instructions http://www.itworld.com/article/2696377/open-source-tools/install-pale-moon-24-6-2-browser-in-ubuntu-14-04.html

I tried to follow similar instructions on my distro for Seamonkey but they didn't work. Hopefully you will fare better.

thanks for the link, although then i tried it, didn't work :-)

Reply #11
Which part exactly? You shouldn't copy the version number, but everything else looks good in principle.

Reply #12

Which part exactly? You shouldn't copy the version number, but everything else looks good in principle.
When I tried it with Seamonkey, the end result didn't work, i.e. to type seamonkey did nothing. Similarly to type the path to any file that I thought could launch Seamonkey didn't work.

I went through the procedure multiple times to make very sure I didn't miss any step. I didn't miss anything, so something must be inapplicable in the instructions. And I can make Seamonkey work for only my own user sure enough, but this is not what I want.

To suggest a .desktop file is a good addition on your part.

Anyway, AUR provides the right PKGBUILD for my distro. I don't have to waste my time thinking why other instructions don't work.

Reply #13

Seemed to work fine in the terminal, no errors coming up. But couldnt find it in the start-menu though. And couldnt find it in a program search

Reply #14
Seemed to work fine in the terminal, no errors coming up. But couldnt find it in the start-menu though. And couldnt find it in a program search

Without a .desktop file that's to be expected. See e.g. my earlier link or here.

Reply #15

As the instructions step #3 says, you start it by typing palemoon. To have it in the start menu and programs list, you need to put together a .desktop file like Frenzie says. Here's a little intro to what .desktop files are about, starting 7:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5RO9H2bw9U

Reply #16
[glow=green,2,300]Pale Moon 25.5 has been released which is an important maintenance release
with a good number of changes.  Please take a moment to read the release notes !
[/glow]

Again, please note, PaleMoon is completely free of any trace of the Australis UI, & Australis features.