Skip to main content
Topic: Adblock for Otter (Read 12177 times)

Adblock for Otter

Is there an AdBlocker for Otter. In Opera 12 I am using Adblock. Is this compatible with Otter, or is there some other available. I don't want to get into writing scripts.

Re: Adblock for Otter

Reply #1
There are Adblock Plus compatible filters under the tools menu, but I haven't really tried it myself. :)

NB I believe this is just the very first implementation.

Reply #2
I did have a look under Tools menu and there is Content Blocking but it list various languages so thought that was not it. There is an edit option but that is greyed out.

I am using version 0.9.03 notified today.

Windows 8.1/64

Reply #3
Edit hasn't been implemented yet, but there might be an actual file for it somewhere. The language thing is just how Adblock Plus works: https://adblockplus.org/en/getting_started

I assume it's so your browser doesn't have to waste CPU by looking out for ads in 20 different languages you don't even speak. :)

Reply #4
@Frenzie, exactly, AFAIK there is simply one common list plus you can enable lists specific to your country / language.
We only ship headers, actual lists are downloaded after enabling them.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #5
Is there any update as to when an adblock can be installed.

I do use Otter occasionally but the ads that proliferate make me switch back to Opera 12.

Reply #6
@djgl, there is no need for separate installation, support for Adblock Plus filters is built-in, not perfect yet, but should be good enough to eliminate most of unwanted ads.

Reply #7
Thanks, but I don't see anyway of adding Adblock. In Opera you would go to Extensions and add it that way.

It seems that you are implying that Otter does not work this way. The options under the Tools menu for content blocking are all greyed out so it is not possible to effect the blocking. It seems I am misunderstanding you somehow.

I am using Windows 8.1/64.

Reply #8

Thanks, but I don't see anyway of adding Adblock. In Opera you would go to Extensions and add it that way.

AdBlock is implemented within Otter's codebase. What version of Otter are you using? In any newer version you should be able to use it through Tools > Content Blocking... by enabling some filter such as EasyList which contains everything except country-specific websites. Once you enable a list, Otter should download and activate it.

If this doesn't work as expected, then consider reporting it on GitHub.

Reply #9
With Easylist ON I can't play youtube videos that have ads on it. If I disable the adblock it will play the video just fine.

I'm on windows and with this weekly build.

Reply #10

AdBlock is implemented within Otter's codebase. What version of Otter are you using? In any newer version you should be able to use it through Tools > Content Blocking... by enabling some filter such as EasyList which contains everything except country-specific websites. Once you enable a list, Otter should download and activate it.

If this doesn't work as expected, then consider reporting it on GitHub.

Thanks - that's fine now. It wasn't working the way I expected it too.

Reply #11
@zundapp, it's possible that one of rules is blocking important resource, it could be a good idea to add feature to log which rules were used to debug console, another useful feature would be to set exceptions (as part of site specific preferences).

Reply #12
selecting and clicking on 'easylist' seems to crash my browser, weirdness
“I kill monsters and zombies with infeasibly large plasma-based weaponry”

Reply #13
@ultraviolet, is there any backtrace?
BTW, we are going to rewrite UI of that feature so it would be best to wait for next weekly and try it again (it shoyld be merged-in by then).

Reply #14

@ultraviolet, is there any backtrace?
BTW, we are going to rewrite UI of that feature so it would be best to wait for next weekly and try it again (it shoyld be merged-in by then).

sorry i don't know what you mean by "is there any backtrace?"

Reply #15
@ultraviolet, this isn't the best entry point, but better than nothing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_trace

Basically it's the best way to report reproducible bugs to programmers, as they usually show workflow of API calls that lead to the crash. :-)

Reply #16
just tried again and its not the adblock function, happens randomly while trying to load pages, just happen while loading www.html5test.com.

not been able to use the browser yet properly because of this, may be its a linux mint thing

Reply #17
@ultraviolet, which Qt version are you using (check in Help menu, About Qt)?

Reply #18
Otter is still connecting to ablock on every start.

Reply #20
@rincewind, I'm working on that update time settings now, although current master shouldn't connect at all (after that refactoring).

@ultraviolet, time to update, that was the most buggy release of QtWebKit (numerous HarfBuzz related crashes etc.).
Best way would be to find some packages repository with at least Qt 5.3, using SDK binaries form upstream (see INSTALL) as fallback (but that could be more complicated...).

Reply #21

@rincewind, I'm working on that update time settings now, although current master shouldn't connect at all (after that refactoring).

@ultraviolet, time to update, that was the most buggy release of QtWebKit (numerous HarfBuzz related crashes etc.).
Best way would be to find some packages repository with at least Qt 5.3, using SDK binaries form upstream (see INSTALL) as fallback (but that could be more complicated...).

i'm sorry, that reply went mostly over my head :-)

i take it that qtwebkit is not just one program i can find in the synaptic package manager to download the lastest version?

before i go ahead and download the .deb files in this link, are they the right ones?:

https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/landing-005/+build/6711546

Reply #22
@ultraviolet, nope, installing them package by package is the best way to break system. ;-)

Well, I guess that going for entire SDK from upstream will be the fastest path:
http://www.qt.io/download-open-source/

1. Download installer.
2. Install it to some directory (something in ~/ is fine too).
3. Fetch Otter sources (sf.ney or github).
4. Open QtCreator from SDK (should be in subtree of install directory, something like 5.4/gcc_64/bin/).
5. Select Open Project and navigate to otter.pro in source directory of Otter and open it.
6. It will ask you to configure project, defaults should be good enough, just continue.
7. Click green triangle icon on the left to build project.

When it will be built correctly then you will have otter-browser binary somewhere in build directory, you can create launcher and use it from now on.

Dependencies, must have: clang (gcc is fine, but clang is faster), gstreamer -dev packages (fetching them for plugins good should fetch others, failing to install them will generate errors mentioning gst), libxml2-dev.
These are the most common.

In case of issues it would be best to ask on our IRC channel (I'll be mostly unavailable until Sunday).

Reply #23
i think i'll leave that for the time being, thanks for the help, but, i'll wait till the browser goes stable and is available through normal means

Reply #24
@ultraviolet, I guess that we will try to create variant where newest Qt libraries are shipped with binary, that should work on most of Linux systems out of the box (assuming that basic stuff like gstreamer, libxml2 or curl are installed, curl used to turn out as missing sometimes when using SDK binaries).
Then you will just had to download one bigger archive and do not care about compiling, which isn't that scary anyway (we have just few external dependencies, and only Qt itself is the only direct one). ;-)