Skip to main content
Topic: Windows Frustration Thread (Read 40843 times)

Re: Windows Frustration Thread

Reply #150
That's why I keep a Word 97 installer at hand, if required.
(What's wrong with PDF, after all?)

Reply #151
Microsoft warns of a major update in May https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f449WCh5OGg

There does not seem to be anything major in the video. The biggest is perhaps the change to Cortana (suspiciously similar to Corona), which gains its own window, as if it were an application. Hopefully it will become possible to uninstall it at some point :)

The general design philosophy seems to veer towards Gnome: Every app is its own thing with its own theming and decorations, own possibility to resize, minimise, and on-top (or not), instead of letting a window manager handle all that. I am completely opposed to this philosophy.

Come on, you are called Windows, so why don't you manage windows properly?! There should be a window manager with ability to theme all windows and apply window decorations uniformly. Each window should be resizable, minimisable, and on-toppable.

In my current workflow, the Windows calculator thingy is most offensive. I would like to have it small in a corner on top of all other windows, but in the MS world, the on-top version of calculator is given a limited design (missing the history part) compared to the normal calculator window. Unusable.

Looking forward to more mess-ups, headaches and frustration with the next update.

Reply #152
Looking forward to more mess-ups, headaches and frustration with the next update.
that's the objective, nothing is to be ever well-done. The final objective is to perpetuate lousy working. clients will always keep on paying  (and testing)- so they think.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #153
The final objective is to perpetuate lousy working. clients will always keep on paying  (and testing)- so they think.
In their productivity apps they already have the ridiculous unsolicited popups asking feedback a la "Do you like our app?" and "Rate the call!" This is offputtingly unprofessional. It is not fitting to a desktop workstation.

Reply #154
I guess my gripe would be how Windows uses multi screens. Main problem there is one of mine is a touchscreen, and it has to be the primary else touches register on another monitor. Nvidia can't seem to help so I assume it's Windows' fault. I want the touchscreen as an aux for lighting, sound and other always up controls. It's the smallest in the trio so has no business as a primary.

Reply #156
Thank you! That worked. I remember going into those settings before but I apparently left a step out or something.

The touchscreen wasn't really for this PC it just ended up here, for now, until I started messing with home automation stuffs again. It's original intent was for a single board PC I was gonna use as a secondary or tertiary control hub somewhere else in the house. I've since got an even smaller screen for that and now may even just keep this one with this PC.

:) You're awesome mate! I guess complaining does help, lol.

Reply #157
Another end of an era.
Microsoft announced today that it will deprecate WordPad with a future Windows update as it's no longer under active development, though the company did not specify the precise timing of this change.

WordPad is a basic text-editing application that allows users to create and edit documents with formatted text and include images and links to other files.

It is automatically installed on Windows systems starting in 1995 since Windows 95 was released, providing users with a basic word processor and document editor integrated into the operating system.

The company now suggests the Microsoft Word app as a replacement for WordPad users and Notepad for those who don't need rich text support.
Will there be riots on the streets? Probably you can still get a copy of XP, install it and avoid upgrading.

Reply #158
I wonder what'll happen to running WRITE.EXE. To this day it starts Wordpad instead of Write.