Skip to main content
Topic: Windows Frustration Thread (Read 40838 times)

Re: Windows Frustration Thread

Reply #50
I meant no notable difference between the Linux and Windows versions of LO. As far as notable differences between Writer and Word go:

• Writer has a much easier application of styles (F11, and if you're not using styles, you really, really should for the sake of your own sanity)
  • Writer deals much more sensibly with things like references to chapter numbers, images, tables, etc. in the text.
  • Writer also sports a much better navigator (F5), which is important in larger documents.
  • Writer supports SVG.
  • Word's track changes feature used to be significantly superior, but in LO 5 (and I think already since 4.3 or so) it's not half bad anymore in Writer.

Both share the ridiculous concept of saving the zoom level in the document, so that sending documents back and forth between people constantly results in adjusting zoom levels. I suspect this is a Word-imitation gone too far.

Reply #52
Everything in computers is about controlling people. Linux less than Windows, but just that, a bit less.
The problem is philosophical, not a matter of hardware and/or open/closed electrical circuits.
And I'm using a computer for saying it.
The Times of the Paradox.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #53
While investigating how Windows managed to gobble up 80GB of space, I found a C:\$Windows.~WS directory. It is said to be safe to remove.

Reply #54

Everything in computers is about controlling people. Linux less than Windows, but just that, a bit less.
The problem is philosophical, not a matter of hardware and/or open/closed electrical circuits.

With new technologies it will get only worse. :)
Microphone and camera will be built in into your flat screen. No way to disconnect.
During your online sessions you'll have to behave civilized and a groomed appearance will be mandatory.
For each misdemeanor you'll have to pay penalties according to the new list of penalties for internet users.
E.g.: 50€ for bitching about the USA, 10€ for sitting or lying unshaved in front of your screen or 5€ for each fart during your online session.
BTW, in case you can't pay the penalties you'll be disconnected from the internet and you'll be sent to jail.

Reply #55

While investigating how Windows managed to gobble up 80GB of space, I found a C:\$Windows.~WS directory.

It must be a Win10 thingy. Never happened to me with Win7 or earlier versions of Windoze.

Reply #57
BTW, in case you can't pay the penalties you'll be disconnected from the internet and you'll be sent to jail.

We were already sent to jail, we're just in the process. Some (many) of us even gladly pays for it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #58

It's a temp leftover from the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade.

I see. I have never done a Windows upgrade myself.
Call me a clean install fetishist. :)  Either I have the install package to install from or good bye.

Reply #59
Never? Hm, weird. An upgraded Windows is quite clean, really. Incidentally, someone made a video (on a real system) of upgrading from Windows 1 all the way to Windows 10.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WP7AkJo3OE[/video]

Reply #60
Never?

Never. :)

Incidentally, someone made a video (on a real system) of upgrading from Windows 1 all the way to Windows 10.

Neat :)
However I've read in forums many posts from people who have been tricked in by MS into upgrading to Win10 and ended up with a fu*ked up installation.
They asked for help how to revert. For others the upgrade went fine.

- Well, in the first place it makes little sense to install a new OS on old hardware - for me at least.
I usually keep the OS as long as the hardware doesn't become comfortless outdated.
- I want to be able to format and install the OS whenever I want - even so I've done it only a few times during my life, usually after buying a new computer.

In case you are wondering why a fresh install on a new computer? :)
A computer with no OS preinstalled is considerable more expensive. On the other hand you can make a bargain buy with computers with Windoze preinstalled on them.
However such computers have also a lot of crap preinstalled. So instead of wasting my time with cleaning up the crap I choose to do a clean install.

Reply #61
- Well, in the first place it makes little sense to install a new OS on old hardware - for me at least.

What matters is the state of the hardware, not its age. And in any case, you had to upgrade from Windows 3 to Windows 9x to keep up eventually. What surprises me is that you say you've never upgraded a version of Windows, ever. It doesn't surprise me that you haven't upgraded Windows in the past decade or so. I upgraded from Windows XP to Debian because Windows Vista+ is a POS. I've used all of them for extended periods of time, primarily on laptops, so it's not like I say that in ignorance. It's not that it's bad per se (except some of the Windows 8 nonsense), but it's just so inelegant and stifling.

Windows 10 is still a POS, but since I only use the stuff for games (and potentially some light browsing while a game is running or loading or whatever, like right now) I don't care too much. In fact Windows 10 is significantly better than any previous Windows in a rather significant way: I connected my SSD to my new system, figuring I'd have to do either a repair install or a fresh install and instead it just worked (after 10 minutes of installing drivers or whatever). Any actually serious Windows work (i.e. running MS Office) takes place in a VM because you can take snapshots etc. and don't have to worry about Windows bitrot.

- I want to be able to format and install the OS whenever I want - even so I've done it only a few times during my life, usually after buying a new computer.

I fail to see any relationship to upgrading whatsoever. :)

A computer with no OS preinstalled is considerable more expensive. On the other hand you can make a bargain buy with computers with Windoze preinstalled on them.

Depends. My system upgrade (motherboard + CPU + RAM) cost me rather significantly less than the POS "bargain" systems. For a laptop it's true, of course.

Reply #62

However I've read in forums many posts from people who have been tricked in by MS into upgrading to Win10 and ended up with a fu*ked up installation.
They asked for help how to revert. For others the upgrade went fine.

From all the specific instances I have seen, problems were to do not with installation per se (which I take to mean some misconfiguration of opsys), but with limited data plans (in which case it's quite criminal of MS to covertly push through an entire OS) or with impossibly old hardware.

I usually keep the OS as long as the hardware doesn't become comfortless outdated.

In my case, the typical reason to install a new OS is that the old one has nearly stopped working, but I know that the hardware can still do its work for me with the right opsys. So, a new OS on old hardware makes perfect sense, particularly when I go from Windows to Linux. 

However such computers have also a lot of crap preinstalled. So instead of wasting my time with cleaning up the crap I choose to do a clean install.

The best laptop in the world right now is Dell XPS 13. Any good bargains on it over there? (It comes with various specs, so those are important, too, along with the price.)

Reply #63
The best laptop in the world right now is Dell XPS 13. Any good bargains on it over there? (It comes with various specs, so those are important, too, along with the price.)

The #1 place to look is Tweakers.net. That thing sounds like something I'd like, but for that price I think I'll wait it out some more with my late '08 (or was it early '09) laptop and '10 netbook (although that one is getting rather slow…).

Reply #64

And in any case, you had to upgrade from Windows 3 to Windows 9x to keep up eventually. What surprises me is that you say you've never upgraded a version of Windows, ever.

No Windows 3. :)
I had absolutely no interst for computers. All my friends were already computer 'experts' at that time.
My first computer was one with no Windows preinstalled. The OEM Win98SE CD was part of the package. You had to install it.
My interest for computers came after I was hit by malware (for the first and last time). This happened probably during the first week of my online debut but it took several weeks till I realized it. I was a bloody noob and this is an understatement. :)
My next computer had W2k on it. I skipped XP which was basically a slightly enhanced W2k and I also skipped Vista which I didn't like.
In the meanwhile my hardware became hopeless outdated. So I did buy a new computer which had Win7 preinstalled on it. That's it.

I fail to see any relationship to upgrading whatsoever. :)

I was referring to Mac style upgrades. ;)

My system upgrade (motherboard + CPU + RAM) cost me rather significantly less than the POS "bargain" systems.

During the past 17 years I bought 3 computers. The actual one might serve me well for at least the next 5 years.
The only extra spending during these years was a power supply which I bought for 15€. :)

Reply #65
During the past 17 years I bought 3 computers. The actual one might serve me well for at least the next 5 years.

My old motherboard+CPU+RAM was from '07, although I used my wife's discarded motherboard+CPU+RAM from '09 for about a year and a half. So yes, I'm definitely on board with at least five years.

The only extra spending during these years was a power supply which I bought for 15€.  :)

I'm not sure if a PSU that cheap can be anything good. Keep in mind that the quality of your PSU is the most important thing for the prolonged health of your components.

Reply #66
In mid-90's I was studying in Helsinki University. Finns were pretty computerised by then, only very few could not afford a computer. At the same time, it was not too urgent to buy one's own, because we had free computer halls... Anyway, I saw them using those things in their rooms and I thought I should buy something like that too. Unfortunately computers were far beyond my means at the time, so I bought an electrical typewriter instead.

This trend has continued ever since - I either use free tech (such as other people's leftover computers and free-access wifi spots) or I buy something near-ridiculously antiquated. I begin to understand tech specs only now and I see that the laptop I bought two years ago was not as awesome as I thought. However, it is still perfectly adequate for all the purposes I originally planned for it, and this matters, I guess. It was never meant to have any Windows and it's been perfect like this.

Reply #67
However, it is still perfectly adequate for all the purposes I originally planned for it, and this matters, I guess.

It does, very much indeed. Incidentally, if the laptop has an HDD, space isn't a big concern, and it's easy to replace, a cheap used SSD may well be the best, most noticeable upgrade it'll ever see.

Reply #68
Microsoft uses Windows as a deliberate way to force consumers to buy more powerfull hardware computers in a never stopping way.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #69
Microsoft uses Windows as a deliberate way to force consumers to buy more powerfull hardware computers in a never stopping way.

I believe new versions of Windows are the main reason people buy new machines in the first place. Unfortunately, Windows is by far the worst choice for a desktop OS security and privacy wise (not to mention IMHO Windows 10 is still butt-ugly with a bunch of useless and distracting tiles in the "start" menu, but that's the least of the Windows concerns)

OSX El Capitan is a little like using Gnome (because that DE attempts to copy OSX, of course) but is a much more useful and less annoying experience even if some things are odd such as moving programs from the download folder to the applications ones in order to install them.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #70
if some things are odd such as moving programs from the download folder to the applications ones in order to install them.

I think that actually makes a lot of sense. What doesn't make sense is drag to trash to unmount. At its core, Unity is also OS X imitator.

Incidentally, GNOME Shell is supposed to have matured a bit by now. I haven't yet tried it myself, but just like Windows I know they rectified some idiocy like not having an easy to find shutdown option. Whoever thought computers should only go into standby mode and never off should be fed to the polar bears or something. :right:

Reply #71
think that actually makes a lot of sense.

I think it was just because I was used to just installing the .deb file from the downloads folder. But since I'm an OSX noob, I didn't know about dragging to the trash to unmount and have been unmounting by clicking the up arrow in Finder. The latest version of Gnome Shell I used was 3.14. It was better, but little things annoyed me about it.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #72
See here about GNOME Shell:

Dedoimedo says GNOME 3 might finally be approaching usability again.

Fedora 23 Workstation with the Gnome desktop is a very reasonable release. I am surprised first and foremost by the advancement in the Gnome framework. It's usable, and there's no reason to hate it anymore. This shows how objective and cool I am, and that my past resistance was all legit techno babble. When credits are due, I'm a bloody bank.

Indeed, self praise aside, Gnome has reached a point where it can be used. 'Tis a paradox, because it was perfect before being ruined, and now it's approaching the same level of usability it had years ago. But if we put the background story aside, yes, it's okay, and it makes sense on top of Fedora. The distro itself also works well. It's stable, robust, the hardware support is really good, all my peripherals were properly initialized, all the network protocols ate their bits and bytes without hiccups, and with some extra pimpage, you have a pleasant, friendly system that can serve entertainment as well as state-of-the-art functionality.

Fedora 23 comes with GNOME 3.18.

Anyway, I haven't tried it myself.

Reply #73

I'm not sure if a PSU that cheap can be anything good.

It wasn't a brand-new PSU. The guy from the workshop whom I knew well didn't want to take any money at all for it.
However, next day after I've replaced the PSU, I brought him a crate of beer - hence the 15€. :)

Reply #74
linux it is just works.

windows is usefull but easily to broken.

upgrading win 7 to win 10,  sounds like a bad idea.

always install it at different partition.

i use win10 to play PES ,  and experiments.

and it doesnt acting at all.