Skip to main content
Topic: Windows Frustration Thread (Read 41068 times)

Re: Windows Frustration Thread

Reply #75
last time i bought psu is $9 to replace blowned psu at computer lab.

it is brand new, not second hand.

my friend advice me to just replace the transistor if the coil arent burned.

i just  dont liked to be bothered with soldiering,  etc.
so i just grab a new psu at comp shop.

Reply #76
Just replace the transistor? Easier said than done. First of all, a capacitor is more likely to be broken. If you're lucky it'll be visible on the outside by looking poofy. If you're even luckier you'll be able to still make out what it says on the  side. And you're luckiest if that's actually the only problem.

Reply #78
If what you've got is working perfectly, you have no reason to "upgrade." Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves.

That being said, Samsung still not having working drivers is quite shameful too. I suspect you might be able to find drivers elsewhere even if not on the Samsung site; after all, what are the chances of there being a Samsung-exclusive Wi-Fi card?

Reply #79
Of course, Windows 7 comes with its own set of problems. Install these updates manually to be able to update your computer... (that's KB3065987 and KB3102810) which itself is necessary to install an apparently too new version of Office/Word...

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3frcib/heads_up_kb3050265_fixes_major_memory_leak_in/
http://appuals.com/high-cpu-usage-by-svchost-exe-netsvcs/

Without KB3065987 things go horribly wrong due to lack of memory. Without KB3102810 I let it run for 30 minutes without any success, but it seems to have taken "only" 10-15 mins or so with that update.

For future reference, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226 (KB2999226) will do for installing Office/Word 2016 all by itself. That's fine, I mainly figured it'd be safer to get it all. But Windows Update didn't install it (nor did I see it in optional updates).

After going through all this, I cloned one of my Windows 7 VMs and upgraded it to Windows 10. Now I've got a well functioning Windows 7 and 10 VM, finally. I couldn't get the Windows 10 VM supplied by Microsoft over at Modern.IE to run quite smoothly no matter what system settings I changed.

Reply #81
Ouch! :lol:

Reply #83
i dont trust auto -update .

manually update most of time .

to make sure have the previous version, incase latest update are full of crap

Reply #84
Supposedly, ridiculously slow Windows updates (not happening even after hours and hours) have finally been solved
Well, old news from Dedoimedo. :)   At least I can confirm that they are correct.
As for me, Windows 7 updates will end this month. I won't install each time hundreds of MBs in vain.
Starting with Oktober 16 M$ won't allow anymore selective download of updates.
Since W2k I only downloaded security patches and those only selective. Almost all security patches were addressed to InternetExploder (which I don't use) and to their insecure .NET Framework (which was always among the first things I've uninstalled from a fresh Windoze).
These habits served me well for many years and I've never encountered problems with Windoze.

Reply #85
Well, old news from Dedoimedo.  :)
I don't know; I tried to install a number of recommended patches manually a few months back and it didn't help too much.

These habits served me well for many years and I've never encountered problems with Windoze.
True, not allowing automatic updates will serve you well. I've had both Windows 7 and Windows 10 kill themselves automagically.

Reply #86
Well, old news from Dedoimedo.  :)
I don't know; I tried to install a number of recommended patches manually a few months back and it didn't help too much.
For sure, everyone (including myself) who didn't install all the shitload of updates M$ was offering, encountered this problem.
However, the solution offered by Dedoimedo now, was already available in August. ;)

Reply #87
I think he wrote July. :P

Reply #88
I think he wrote July. :P
The rollup package KB3172605 came in July. At that time nobody knew that it was part of the solution - neither did Dedoimedo.
If I recall exactly, it was M$ who came up afterwards with the solution for slow updates - the solution Dedoimedo is presenting September 30, 2016. ;)
So I was able to solve the problem (correct solutions were given on several sites) in August.
BTW, I still have on my HD the install packages (Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu and Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu) which I did download in August and which solved the slow update problem since.

Reply #89
The what's new in Windows 10 anniversary update video just told me you can now set reminders from the lockscreen. WTF!? It's the lockscreen. You know, the thing that keeps people from doing stuff on your computer…

Incidentally, apparently Edge has mouse gestures now.

Reply #91
Wasn't this big news last weekend? https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/05/wanna-decryptor-kill-switch-analysis/

What I am failing to notice in all the reporting is the word "Windows". And "Microsoft".[1] Did the ransomware really affect any and all opsyses?

But they are saying "Ukraina" :) http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=161&artikel=6695485
Edit: Yeah, I failed, but that one is actually there.

Reply #92
What I am failing to notice in all the reporting is the word "Windows". Did the ransomware really affect any and all opsyses?
You'll have to differentiate.
- Basically one can code malware for any OS. BTW, the first rootkits were written for Linux.
- This one was targeting Windows taking advantage of a zero-day (thanks to the NSA, in fact more than a decade old) security hole (SMB exploit).
Spreading through the network without user interaction was only possible because of the SMB exploit which exploited a Windows hole.

But they are saying "Ukraina" :) http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=161&artikel=6695485
Either Lars Ericsson, Web and IT Manager at Region Dalarna is an idiot or he considers all the readers of his statement to be idiots.
Neither are the "attacks from Ukrainian banks" related to the SMB exploit nor does an originating IP reveal the identity of an attacker.

Reply #93
Either Lars Ericsson, Web and IT Manager at Region Dalarna is an idiot or he considers all the readers of his statement to be idiots.
Neither are the "attacks from Ukrainian banks" related to the SMB exploit nor does an originating IP reveal the identity of an attacker.
You are trying your best to leave the impression that IP addresses reveal nothing. I have not seen any expert leave this impression. IP addresses usualy give a strong sense of direction of the attack. Just like wind, even though it doesn't tell you where it originated, it tells you from what direction, in relation to you, it's coming from.

Upon running the sample in my analysis environment I instantly noticed it queried an unregistered domain, which I promptly registered.

[...]

Our standard model goes something like this.
  • Look for unregistered or expired C2 domains belonging to active botnets and point it to our sinkhole (a sinkhole is a server designed to capture malicious traffic and prevent control of infected computers by the criminals who infected them).
  • Gather data on the geographical distribution and scale of the infections, including IP addresses, which can be used to notify victims that they’re infected and assist law enforcement.
  • Reverse engineer the malware and see if there are any vulnerabilities in the code which would allow us to take over the malware/botnet and prevent the spread or malicious use, via the domain we registered.
They take note of IP addresses and domains because that's probably somehow important. Just a hunch.

Reply #94
You are trying your best to leave the impression that IP addresses reveal nothing. I have not seen any expert leave this impression. IP addresses usualy give a strong sense of direction of the attack.
I'm trying my best to make clear that the originating IP of an attack reveals only the source of the last hop.
So while the  originating IP of an attack can be attributed to a bank from the Ukraine, the attack could be performed from anywhere.

Reply #95
You are trying your best to leave the impression that IP addresses reveal nothing. I have not seen any expert leave this impression. IP addresses usualy give a strong sense of direction of the attack.
I'm trying my best to make clear that the originating IP of an attack reveals only the source of the last hop.
So while the  originating IP of an attack can be attributed to a bank from the Ukraine, the attack could be performed from anywhere.
This much has been clear all along. Yes, the attack could be from anywhere, but just like the direction from a bank in Ukraine was traced, cannot it be further traced by examining what's been going on in the bank servers?

Reply #96
Yes, the attack could be from anywhere, but just like the direction from a bank in Ukraine was traced, cannot it be further traced by examining what's been going on in the bank servers?
For sure it can. At best you'll end up with another IP which you can't trace any further. :)

Reply #97
What I am failing to notice in all the reporting is the word "Windows". And "Microsoft".[1] Did the ransomware really affect any and all opsyses?
Didn't really affect MS either as they'd already patched the vulnerability last year iirc.

Reply #98
For sure it can. At best you'll end up with another IP which you can't trace any further. :)
That the tracks end without a clear suspect might be a common outcome, but the best-case scenario is still better than that http://list25.com/25-most-notorious-hackers-to-ever-get-caught/

The recommended recipe for success is as follows.
The key to successfully hiding your identity during an attack seems to be making sure you pass through enough interim sites to conceal your point of origin permanently – either because they're in a country not vulnerable to pressure from the FBI, specifically offer to protect users' data by not saving the login or tracking data on their servers for more than a few days, or because they're zombies being remotely controlled by someone else, who makes sure the zombie doesn't keep enough information to point back to a command-and-control site.

Lacking a trustworthy proxy, the best thing to do is to go through so many interim sites and services that the process of tracking you through them all is too time consuming for most security teams.

"Even if hackers redirect through other sites, it's frequently still possible to track an attack back to them," according to Clifford Neuman, director of the USC Center for Computer Systems Security, who was quoted in InfoWorld's recent Stupid hacker tricks: Exploits gone bad article. "You trace it back to one point, then you go through diplomatic channels to get the authorities in the outside country to find and collect the logs. It's a months-long process, but it can be done."
It might be tedious to track down things like this, but if the attacks are serious and recurring enough, the tracking will be done. Just like when a serial killer keeps killing, even a lazy detective will have a gradually better chance of finding him.

Reply #99
Didn't really affect MS either as they'd already patched the vulnerability last year iirc.
Not exactly.
Because MS killed security only updates many IT people were reluctant to swallow MS all-in-one shady updates.
The patch for WinXP came out after the break out. Even so WinXP isn't supported officially by MS anymore, many institusions worldwide are still using it - among them Britain’s nuke subs.