Skip to main content
Topic: What is your weather now? (Read 141238 times)

Re: What is your weather now?

Reply #376
13°C Cloudy, with rain showers.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #377
11°C Dull and grey with intermittent showers.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #378
stormy  :)

Reply #379
Quite stormy. Tornado warnings have come and gone frequently today.

Same until Tuesday, per predictions.

Reply #380
Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness

Reply #381
14°C Grey and cloudy, with mist and drizzle.

Reply #382
17°C. Clear blue sky and the sun is shining.

Reply #383
Stormy. Earlier, we had a thunderstorm with small hail. About 55F.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #384
13°C Showers and grey skies, thunder forecast for later.

Reply #385
10°C The odd spell of sunshine, but mostly cloudy.

Reply #386
14°C Sunny, with showers.

Reply #387
14°C Cloudy with occasional showers.

Reply #388
10°C Dull and grey, with frequent showers.

Reply #389
Rainy  :yuck:

General notes

Reply #390
Quote from: Frans

Wind or humidity? Around here in the Winter, when they want to tell you the "real feel" temperatures they always figure the actual temps and the wind speed. I've never heard of them figuring in the humidity.

It might make sense that more humidity (even though at low temperatures that means practically nothing) at least could feel colder. After all, the layer of warm air around your body that has to be heated before you feel warm(ish) would take longer to heat due to the water contents. But wind often successfully tries to get rid of that warmed up air regardless of the humidity.

On the other hand, the effect of sea mist blowing in in large quantities (which happens frequently in winter) feels more like a warm blanket even if the humidity is 100% and you're getting as wet as if it were raining. I suspect that has more to do with the relative lack of wind (otherwise the mist'd be blown away pretty quickly) than with the humidity, though.
Physics and physiology.
Physiology: humidity limits your skin's capability of self-regulating the body temperature via sweating. So in warm weather it makes you (your skin) sorta suffocate.
Physics: in cold weather air moisture adsorbs to your skin/clothes and, as water has much more thermal capacity than gas (air), the adsorbed, cooled moisture withdraw your body heat more effectively than just cold air.
Apart from that, there's such a matter as partial pressure, i.e. relational oxygen density, which one can be heavily affected by humidity conditions, and as the human is a warm-blooded animal, influences your metabolic capacities of body temperate self-regulation.

Reply #391
Josh, somehow you managed to post that in the wrong thread. It belongs in this thread here.
The topic here is "What is your weather now?" Try sticking to it. 

17°C Grey and cloudy, rain on the way.

Reply #392
No,
Quote from: "The Department of Urban Affairs"
This thread is about cities and civilised life...

I agree that this one is about current conditions, but we don't have any other weather thread, so I put it here. If you have objections, start a "special" weather thread.

Reply #394
A chilly 50 degrees. Even my bed is freezing. Brrr!

Reply #395

No,

Yes! It wasn't a request.
My "no" was an answer to your presumed claim that weather conditions is an urban matter.
Those conditions exist and affect a person regardless if he/she is in town or not.
If you like, you can move my post to my "science" thread, though.

Reply #396
My "no" was an answer to your presumed claim that weather conditions is an urban matter.

You could have said that's what you meant, rather than just "no". You being a man of words and all...

Reply #397
17°C Cloudy, but the sun is breaking through now and again.

Reply #398
Rainy and cool all day. Snow reported in the Northwest suburbs this morning.

Right now, raining and 40F. Sump-pump running about every fifteen minutes or so.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #399
It is a tad nippy for my taste.  Looks like we're gonna peak at 61. 45 this morning sent me back in for a jacket tho.