Skip to main content
Topic: What is your weather now? (Read 141179 times)

Re: What is your weather now?

Reply #125
Well, to us, windchill is an indication that, even though it might only be X temperature, it's freezing out there on your face, which is always exposed to the weather. It also can be so cold in the windchill that frostbite is an issue but not very often. It's rare for it to go below -10 here for any length of time.

There's also the difference between "it's 0° C and there's no wind, so I can walk around outside with a thick sweater" (extremely unlikely), and "it's 0°, the wind's blowing at 6 Bft, so I'd better put on a coat, scarf, etc."

That being said, I'm not sure how useful this "wind chill" value is for that, as opposed to knowing the wind force. We don't actually use such a thing.

Reply #127
Wind chill makes some sense in warmer temperatures, where people may be in various states of undress, but it is my argument it doesn't for temperatures below freezing when people are dressed for the occasion. Not many people walk through a blizzard in swimwear.

Reply #128
Odd, it's when it's warmer that I'd call it completely irrelevant. :P

But given that it's windy 90% of the time it's pretty irrelevant in winter too, of course. You'd be crazy not to take a scarf along just in case.

Reply #129
Sleet, snow, windy and freezing.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #130
It was supposed to be a slight DEfreezing, however, as the sun eventually decided to take a rest, and there was a wind, it felt like even colder today...

Reply #131
Sunny, mid-twenties.
Until May it will be like this, as long as we stay out of the wind.

Reply #132
The sun seemingly has got fed up looking at Pootin - and moved on looking at Cameron.
Still winter here, though...

Reply #133
Cold but dry, even seen the sun for 5 minutes.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #135
Just below freezing? That's cool. Just above freezing, less so.

Reply #136
Cold, wet and very windy.

Reply #138
Sunny, 33°C, no relevant changes expected this month.

Reply #142
Yes.

Reply #143
29 F with occasional snow flurries.

Reply #145
Cold with rain showers.

Reply #146
24 F and cloudless, with ice, sleet, and some snow expected in the coming hours.

Reply #147
10° C and raining moderately hard. I'd like to let some fresh air in, but alas…

Reply #148
13° F this morning, more snow on the way. Yes, that's just outside my back door.

Reply #149
You're up quite early for a retired person, it seems to me. Was it even light yet? :)