Topic: Otter 0.9.02 (Read 10006 times)

Otter 0.9.02

Most important changes since beta 1:

• added initial support for content blocking (Adblock Plus compatible);

• added Opera and HTML (Netscape) bookmarks import;

• added rocker navigation;

• added more keyboard shortcuts;

• allow to stop page loading by pressing Esc;

• no need for manual tweaking to get working binary for Windows XP (requires Qt 5.3);

• translation related improvements;

• some other fixes and minor improvements.

There were bigger plans for this release, but apparently hot summer is not the best time for programming. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Re: Otter 0.9.02

Reply #1
added rocker navigation;

I think you typoed flip back/forward. :D

But seriously, great stuff. And I know all about the hot summer.

Edit: in other news, Qt5.3 didn't fix the Qt font issue, but it certainly improved matters. Instead of horribly, unusably fuzzy it's now merely somewhat fuzzy.

Reply #2
Hotter now.

Reply #3
Hotter? Not here, luckily. :)

Reply #4
I like the more verbose About application dialogue and the language switcher :)

(I will just have to complete the translations that I have promised)

Reply #5
I don't want to look like a-hole :P
but if flash plugin doesn't get fixed soon (Youtube), you will just repel people from using this browser :P

also there would be nice if tray with zoom controls on bootom could be simple
re-alocated to either top next to trash icon for closed tabs, or be hidden (by settings/optional)

in any case, i hope this browser will shine soon, as alternatives are garbage

Reply #6
but if flash plugin doesn't get fixed soon (Youtube), you will just repel people from using this browser

I'm inclined to agree, although the fact that Flash doesn't work in either Otter or Opera/Blink for Linux doesn't really seem to affect YouTube much thanks to HTML5.

Reply #7
I also agree that it would be nice for Flash to work, but... Where and in what way is it not working? Maybe I'm just lucky...

Reply #9
@exley, in this case we need to wait for fix from upstream, here is related bug report (AFAIR there was another one too):
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-39533

@ersi, hopefully it will be, although there are some other, more important features to be added. ;-)

Reply #10
well its not only about flash crashing, but controls on (atleast youtube) they don't work
any click on flash object will just pause player, you can't change resolution nor sound
also

can you then please write it in changelog when the fix appears ?
as probably people who are not into tracking qt versions dunno when this happens

Reply #11
I also agree that it would be nice for Flash to work, but... Where and in what way is it not working? Maybe I'm just lucky...

For me it doesn't automatically pick up the Flash plugin like Opera/Presto and Firefox, but apparently that is not a shared experience?

Reply #12
@exley, it's more like news item, as it would be true only for Windows (shipped libraries) or users with up to date packages.
It could be a good idea to have some kind of page tracking status of known issues in Qt, AFAIK there are only two issues affecting all (this one and flash forms "eating" shortcuts) plus one issue affecting FreeBSD (compose keys issue).

Reply #14
@Frenzie, yeah, my mistake, that was another issue, actions with single character shortcut (for example 1 or 2) will be triggered while entering them into flash based forms, like survey at speedtest.net, shown after completing test.

Reply #15
Hmm, I don't think it gave me any survey.

So the issue was the reverse: that Flash didn't eat the shortcut? :)

Reply #16
@Frenzie, maybe they changed it, it was few weeks ago, but should be reproducible with any text input in Flash applet.
And basically yes, that should stop event propagation, I guess that it is missing case in QtWebKit, probably all key events should be ignored when applet has focus.

Reply #17
Great work. Congratulations.

Installation went fine and it seems very snappy. The Content Blocking is a welcomed feature.

When the ability to hide toolbars and the menubar, and add-on compatability hit this could be a real contender. I using it more and more already.