Skip to main content
Topic: A good improt from Chicago hoprefully to Edinburgh! (Read 10083 times)

A good improt from Chicago hoprefully to Edinburgh!

St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh is a top kirk of the (national established and Presbyterian) Church of Scotland and been in Edinburgh since before the Reformation. Being an important congregation in the national Church it has recently installed a new minister and he comes from a Presbyterian church in Chicago so a regular here might note this one?! Nice to know there are still Prots in the Windy City red socks centreLorry driver take note. :)
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: A good improt from Chicago hoprefully to Edinburgh!

Reply #1
What, did you think I wasn't Protestant? I'm not Presbyterian, but still..

The R/C church seems to be about half of the Christian faith here, the rest being the full mix of Protestant denominations.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #2
Ain't been in Chicago in over a quarter of century, RJ… And I've never been to Scotland. So, I ask with (unusual) humility, What are you talking about?
Are there not enough Scots to "man" the parapets :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #4
Somewhere drunk beating their children?

Either that or passing out drunk on the grass. A little while later, girls wander by. Upon lifting his skirt, they find nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth. :left:

:sing:

Well a Scotsman clad in kilt left a bar on evening fair
And one could tell by how we walked that he drunk more than his share
He fumbled round until he could no longer keep his feet
Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street
Ring ding diddle diddle I de oh ring di diddly I oh
He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

About that time two young and lovely girls just happend by
And one says to the other with a twinkle in her eye
See yon sleeping Scotsman so strong and handsome built
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt

They crept up on that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be
Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
And there behold, for them to see, beneath his Scottish skirt
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marveled for a moment, then one said we must be gone
Let's leave a present for our friend, before we move along
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon, tied into a bow
Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show
Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show

Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled towards a tree
Behind a bush, he lift his kilt and gawks at what he sees
And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes.
O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize
O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize

:sing:

Reply #5
  Ok.....maybe its just my occasional stint into grips of sobriety, but WTF is an "improt"??   Is that another twisted Scottish colloquialism??

Reply #6
Fat fingers on the keys-- or more likely RJ's not even attempting to get the spelling right.

"improt" translates to "import" when you look at the context.

Edit; add-on: Somebody seems to have cleaned it up-- I can actually read RJ's post without translating half of it from sorta-English to something halfway usable.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #7
Bit puzzling what you are on about asking me what i am on about! I made the story very clear odd you don't understand it even when humble.

Yes mjsmsprt40, I know you are Protestant and I also know how strong the white socks man's people are there too. Quite an honour for a Chicago Prot to get the charge at one of Scotland's top church's.  8)

Reply #8
Can we get a translation of OP's rubbish please?
Thanks.

Reply #9
Can we get a translation of OP's rubbish please?
Thanks.

He's trying to turn into a French philosopher, no way you can understand him.
Strange metamorphism from a Scottish serving the English.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #11
I suppose coming from a poor backwater Like Portugal it boosts moral by making statements that in truth are, well, daft. I do not serve the English I serve Britain. By the fact that I have repeatedly made it very, very clear that i am a staunch unionists what has Belfrager lost in his education skills?

Any, I was complimenting a clergyman from Chicago being fortunate enough to be installed in such a famous and imprtant Protestant cathedral kirk such as St Giles steeped as it is in history and the great and wonderful Reformation. The same event that Portugal missed and left it in such a sorry state for centuries. Methinks mjsmsprt40 should feel chuffed especially re chicago stuffed as it is with blind Romanists. It would take a fool here not be aware of the thread's direction but then forums are a wide church in themselves so they must be included.  :doh:

Reply #12

I do not serve the English I serve Britain. By the fact that I have repeatedly made it very, very clear that i am a staunch unionists what has Belfrager lost in his education skills?

This sounds about as sensible as non-Russian communists (USSR Communist Party members) during Soviet era saying that their allegiance was not to Russians, but to the (Soviet) party ideals. There may be a very highly educated difference between Soviet and Russian, but when Soviet was over 90% Russian, then the difference is illusory in practice.

Same between British and English. In many continental languages English and British is conflated, and the conflation causes no confusion in practice. The capital remains London.

Reply #13
The same event that Portugal missed and left it in such a sorry state for centuries.

:lol:
Yes, a sorry state of Independence.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
You lost me at that last turn. Why, exactly, should I feel "chuffed" because a Presbyterian clergyman left Chicago to take a position in Scotland? How, exactly, does this affect me in any way? Am I supposed to get my nose out-of-joint if a Roman Catholic family moves in next door?

Here's a clue: This ain't "the old sod". Over here, we don't have Protestants trying to kill Catholics and Catholics trying to kill Protestants. Somehow we actually manage to get along for the most part. Consider that this discussion, largely a bone of contention amongst certain Christian denominations over the pond, is taking place on a board largely owned and moderated by Atheists.....who are, no doubt-- laughing at this discussion at this very moment-- and that may give you some idea that the same level of rancor that RJH seems to feel for Roman Catholics, and the cheery good feelings that Smiley sometimes offers in return, is by no means universal.

Personally, I refuse to get "chuffed" until somebody offers me a really good reason why I should. This ain't it.

Reply #15
And when did I say I hated individual Roman Catholics dear over sensitive Chicagoan/ I do not have much time for the principles of the Church of Rome but wouldn't stop them having rights. Individuals are a different thing but that seemed to be a little beyond your ken but your problem i am afraid not mine. You do mis-interpret  sometimes. Nice to know that RC's and Prots don't kill each other in the ex-colonies and we don't do it here in Scotland either. You were getting a compliment from the centre of the universe you poor man getting a minister to the leading church in Scotland. And here was me thinking you were a sensible ex-colonist.  :faint:

Yeah, right Belfrager!  :)

Reply #16

Right on target there Mike......This sure as shootin'   "..ain't the ole sod.." 

I have not one shred of hatred for Protestants....on the contrary, most of my friends, former employees, & clients were probably Protestants.....as if I could care as I never, ever asked or was asked.

BTW, there were, I'm sure, a number of Jews & a few Atheists mixed in there too, but again I never knew because here in the States, for the most part,  we don't really give a rats ass who you pray to & how you do it, or what colors you wear (JFYI I have an acute dislike for some shades of orange, but that's only because I'm thinkin' about it just now).

I know that when I was down South it seemed a bit more important knowin' if you were Christian or not, but other than that in general, it's the same there too.

I'd have to say that I'd have to search far & wide to find any deep seeded prejudice relating to religion here in the States.

RJ would probably be aghast seeing Protestants & Roman Catholics alike & by the many thousands marching arm in arm down the avenue in NYC on March 17th each year......all marching for one reason.....a united Ireland, not which version of the Bible you read, or the like.

We're deep into religious overtones & notation here, but not stoked in religious bigotry like over that-a-way.

I never shot & killed any man because he was a Protestant, a Catholic, a Muslim, a Buddhist, etc...etc...etc....

I just sighted a target, & took the shot.......never ever asked his denomination before hand.

Nope, I just dispatched him merrily to his Maker with extreme prejudice. 

If you need to know why................because it was my job, & I enjoyed my work.

Reply #17
I just looked up "chuffed". OK, maybe it means the opposite of what I thought it might mean, but the same idea/response applies. There is absolutely no reason for me to feel one way or the other about this, since it's entirely a Presbyterian Church matter and I'm not Presbyterian. It's the same thing, to me personally, if the Archbishop of Chicago somehow manages to get himself elected Pope at some future date. It's a Catholic matter, and I'm not Catholic... though I have little doubt that a fair proportion of the city would go nuts if that were to happen.

So-- come up with a reason for me to feel "chuffed". This still "ain't it".

Edit; add-on: When did Scotland become "the center of the universe" and how did the rest of us miss that? Note that I'm now in the 6th generation since my forebears left Scotland, so it's doubtful I'd be looking back on the old place as the center of anything. I know of it now only because one of my uncles went to some trouble to trace the family history.

Reply #18
Ok.....maybe its just my occasional stint into grips of sobriety, but WTF is an "improt"??   Is that another twisted Scottish colloquialism??
Really? I always thought you had more Irish than Scottish in you for sobriety to be an occasional stint :confused: I'm only on my third beer for the night myself

Reply #19
Now someone explain satire to Americans please as it washes over their heads.

Reply #20
Edit; add-on: When did Scotland become "the center of the universe" and how did the rest of us miss that?
Perhaps you missed the science news. The theory that in the center of the galaxy is a super-massive blackhole has been confirmed. Astronomers at the Atacama Large Millimeter/Sub Millimeter Array (the most powerful telescope array in the world) were able to detect the edges of it and it bears a remarkable resemblance to Scotland. ALMA director Pierre Cox noted, "Like Scotland, light goes in but doesn't come out."

Reply #21

Edit; add-on: When did Scotland become "the center of the universe" and how did the rest of us miss that?
Perhaps you missed the science news. The theory that in the center of the galaxy is a super-massive blackhole has been confirmed. Astronomers at the Atacama Large Millimeter/Sub Millimeter Array (the most powerful telescope array in the world) were able to detect the edges of it and it bears a remarkable resemblance to Scotland. ALMA director Pierre Cox noted, "Like Scotland, light goes in but doesn't come out."

Ahhh--- that makes sense.

Reply #22
Well it would you're a yank and odd considering you are blind to passing things like satire.Good excuse to get you off the hook. When more than one ex-colonists joins the bandwagon makes one more resolute. Anyway it is Glasgow that is the centre you jealous wanderers. 8)

Reply #23
When my pastor gets called to join the head office in Springfield, Missouri-- and something I did materially or spiritually helped him get there-- then maybe I'll have reason to get "chuffed".

A Presbyterian minister heading to Scotland, and all I did was read about it on this thread? You're kidding, right?

Hmmm... I think maybe Sang has a point more and more about that "black hole looks like Scotland" thing. The epicenter of it appears to be in Glasgow.......only barely legible words are known to escape its intense field.

Reply #24
Imagine how different DnD would be if rj's mother knew how to child-lock her computer.