Skip to main content
Topic: Post Your Favorite FreeWare Repositories & Apps Here (Read 12012 times)

Re: Your Favorite FreeWare Repository

Reply #25
ׂ

Reply #26
What do you mean precisely? They feel quite similar to me, although I admit I never played Transport Tycoon much. Just looking at one of the screenshots, I'm struck how it looks almost exactly the same. (And in any case, surely it'd be more like 3.11 > 95 than 7 > 8?)

Reply #27
ׂ

Reply #28
The UI button placement is no problem. Perhaps that's the cross-platform user in me speaking tho. You can import .dat files from TTD to OpenTTD so they can actually look/sound exactly the same. I'd take Locomotion/RCT's game engine with expanded TTD features and be happy... Well, that's really what Locomotion should of been. Instead more was removed than added. Depots, locks, canals and future rail should never of been removed.

A truly modern addition is missing.

Reply #29
OpenTTD does look almost the same. Newer commercial "Tycoon" games do not.

I was referring to Railroad Tycoon, actually. I should've made that more clear, but it was the contrast you were making.

OpenTTD still uses the same old font unless one activates a foreign translation, UI buttons respond exactly the same to clicking, holding the mouse button and dragging, the close button for windows is in the left corner, unlike in win95.

These I would all class as superficial differences, exactly like 3.11 > 95. I didn't even notice the location of the close button. The presentation has been changed slightly for obvious reasons,* but the functionality is still there. I don't see how you can compare that to dumbing down the interface and removing features so you simply cannot do what you want to do at all.

* Obvious reasons as in the game follows the conventions of the Windows GUI; for Windows itself the change seems arbitrary.

Reply #30
ׂ

Reply #31
*facepalm*

Somehow Rollercoaster Tycoon came out as Railroad Tycoon. Obviously Railroad Tycoon is quite different, although it also shares many features.

Reply #32
Repository means a different thing in Linux world. Manjaro is my most-favoured and most-used distro for both fun and productivity, so I use Manjaro repositories for software.

That's the deal in Linux world: When you use a distro, you use the distro's repositories to install software and update/upgrade the system. It's the easiest way, and usually also considered the most stable and safe way. It's possible to install software from outside the repositories too, but this takes a bit more hacking.

So, GTK 3.12 or some such thing has been released, and everybody damns it. Manjaro team tried to make their relevant update as considerately as possible, to minimise the impact of the change on desktops that are not Gnome. But it came out "bumpy" as they say, so the day after releasing the update, they now released an update to the update to fix the first update. I am updating now :)

On my Xfce desktop, my fav text editor with GUI used to be Gedit. From what I have read in the forums and reviews, the next release screws up Gedit's interface. From before, I also know Medit, which is directly meant as a replacement for Gedit, so before updating I switched to Medit. We'll see if I can live with it.

Reply #33
On my Xfce desktop, my fav text editor with GUI used to be Gedit. From what I have read in the forums and reviews, the next release screws up Gedit's interface. From before, I also know Medit, which is directly meant as a replacement for Gedit, so before updating I switched to Medit. We'll see if I can live with it.

It seems that every GNOME application has stopped integrating with my system. Luckily I use precariously few of them, besides Evince and File Roller.

Reply #34
Yes, I also use Evince. Evince has already been screwed up before. No change this time.

Reply #35

Quote from:      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey    
AutoHotkey is a free, open-source macro-creation and automation software utility that allows users to automate repetitive tasks in Microsoft Windows. Any application user interface can be modified by AutoHotkey (for example, overriding the default Windows control key commands with their Emacs equivalents). It is driven by a custom scripting language that is aimed specifically at providing keyboard shortcuts or hotkeys.

AutoHotkey scripts
can be used to launch programs, open documents, send keystrokes and send mouse clicks and movements. AutoHotkey scripts can also assign, retrieve, and manipulate variables, run loops and manipulate windows, files, and folders.

Re: Post Your Favorite FreeWare Repositories & Apps Here

Reply #37
[glow=black,2,300]STROKESPLUS[/glow]

StrokesPlus is a completely free mouse gesture recognition utility for Windows which allows you to create powerful mouse gestures that save you time. With rocker support, modifiers, and the robust Lua engine built right in, there's virtually no limit to what you can automate.

Traditionally, you begin a mouse gesture by holding down the right mouse button and drawing something, like the letter R for example, then release the right mouse button. This triggers the application to process your drawing and perform the specified action. The most common actions are maximizing/minimizing windows, navigating back/forward, or automated logging into a certain website. However, StrokesPlus takes it to the next level, giving you ultimate control over exactly what happens when your action executes.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIPp6NUBi4[/VIDEO]

Features:

Native code; no frameworks or runtime dependencies (uses very little RAM)

Built-in Lua processor

Endless gesture and modifier combinations

Granular control over program settings and actions

Many time-saving functions exposed to the Lua engine

Create global hotkeys for actions without using the mouse

Website

Download

User & Support Forum

Re: Post Your Favorite FreeWare Repositories & Apps Here

Reply #38
[glow=blue,2,300]Feewhee: [/glow] [glow=blue,2,300]Control window sizes and transparency with the mouse wheel [/glow]

Quote from:      THE WINDOWS CLUB    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/feewhee-free-download    

Feel the Wheel  or Feewhee is a freeware that adds an extraordinary and an amazing feature to your computer’s mouse scroll wheel. With this tool you can resize applications and control their transparency simply by scrolling. In short, it lets you control windows sizes and transparency with mouse wheel. The application is really very helpful and is based on a very innovative concept, as it allows you to easily resize the application window without dragging their corners...........continued

It's extremely small, & works unobtrusively in the background. To download it use this link (in the quote source).