Skip to main content
Topic: Australis moved on from Fx experimental GUI to regular nightlies (Read 10854 times)

Re: Australis moved on from Fx experimental GUI to regular nightlies

Reply #25
Did you ever try Opera v12.16 Portable?

With somewhere over 40 tabs open I only use about 620-680mb with the portable version (which is the only v12,0 I have on this machine).

I use 64-bit, so it uses a tad more memory regardless. I also use M2 (for newsfeeds), and to top it off it had been running for at least most of the day; i.e., it had many pages still in memory under the back button and under closed pages.

I'll also add that opening e.g. one Twitter tab easily takes two to three times as much memory as one page on this forum, at least according to the Chromium task manager. I don't know the numbers for Opera, but I assume something similar applies.

Reply #26

What's different about the "portable" version?

None, except an extra loader.

Quote from: j7n
Does it include Flash?

Nope. AFAIK, it would require Adobe's consent which they probably don't have.

Reply #27
Why use the portableapps.com version when the standard Opera installer has a USB option?

After 15 years of loyal Opera use, I have given up. Opera 12 and 20 have been eradicated from all three of my computers (work, home and laptop). I have been using Cyberfox 22-26 (64 bit) since July. It took forty extensions to get it to a comfortable level. I am also toying with the Australis Nightly and the Holly Branch Nightly. All of my extensions work in Holly and most work in Australis. Firefox extension authors Aris and Onemen are working on extensions to circumvent the Australis dumb down.

Industrial Engineer, Restauranteur, Graphic Designer, Shareware Author and Genealogist.  Computer user since 1977.
Custom desktop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 3tb drive total, 1mb Nvidia & Dell XPS-17 laptop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 512gb SSD, 1tb WD drive.

Reply #28
Funny thing, the tabs still down work at all for me in Australis, at least in Linux. I click the tab and nothing happens :lol:

Reply #29
Forgot to say, welcome pizzapops. :)

Reply #30

Funny thing, the tabs still down work at all for me in Australis, at least in Linux. I click the tab and nothing happens :lol:

The tabs work fine in Win 7. I am using a couple extensions that effect the tabs that you may want to try: Classic Theme Restorer and Tab Mix Plus. It will take some settings tweaking to make them work the way you want. I am running 37 extensions in the Australis 29 Nightly without major problems. All-in-One Sidebar has a couple quirks but I am still able to use it.

You may have to use the December 9 dev version of Tab Mix Plus to resolve some problems

Are you using the default theme? I have found that themes can have some strange effects on Australis.
Industrial Engineer, Restauranteur, Graphic Designer, Shareware Author and Genealogist.  Computer user since 1977.
Custom desktop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 3tb drive total, 1mb Nvidia & Dell XPS-17 laptop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 512gb SSD, 1tb WD drive.

Reply #31
Just like you fellas having severe issues with versions of Opera above 12.16, as a devout FireFox user for years, I have the same feelings with any version of FireFox above v17.0.11

Now, not being a power user with exorbitant technical needs that must be fed with a constant dosage of state-of-the-art browser tech-ware, I have decided that I will not travel to the latest releases......no AustraliShit......no ChromeCrap for this boy.

Nope, unless it becomes absolutely necessary because FireFox Portable v17.0.11 ESR becomes dysfunctional, I refuse to wander further. 

All my extensions (50+/-) work satisfactorily (not absolutely perfectly -- but quite, quite acceptably), & my Custom Buttons (all 300+) all work. I've settled on a Theme look with Noia 4, so until my needs expand, here I will stay.

So, I will watch all you fellas from the sidelines, bustin' yer rumps trying to make the new(er) monstrosities function.          

Reply #32
Results may vary on what's considered absolutely necessary.  I'll need better support for web audio than something like Fx offers, for example. Full list of html 5 differences between 17 and 26.

If worst comes to worst, I'll switch to Seamonkey or see if Ice Weasel implements Australis (If so, Fx is calling out for another fork that keeps the same interface.)  Or I might have go to many webkit browsers available for Linux and those have the additional advantage of being native the GTK or QT.  So we'll all be fine. For Windows users that don't like Seamonkey, Palemoon looks to be a good option to not wind up with an outmoded browser.