Skip to main content
Topic: Post Your Favorite FreeWare Repositories & Apps Here (Read 12041 times)

Post Your Favorite FreeWare Repositories & Apps Here

At one point in time the only way to own decent software was to buy it.

Now, there are thousands upon thousands of FreeWare Software Titles out there.

Some outstanding, & perform on the level of some[glow=red,2,300] 'Store Bought'[/glow] software -- sometimes even better in specific ways.

There are some that are very good, some OK, some so-so, & of course there are some real duds.

Here you can post your tried & true, favorite FreeWare Software that you would love to share with our members.

Here are some links, in no particular order,  that I've used in the past to find some very useful FreeWare:

http://www.downloadpipe.com/freesoftware.html

http://www.freewarefiles.com/

http://www.freewarehome.com/

http://www.sysinternals.com

http://www.nonags.com/

Feel free to post your own links, & FreeWare software here, that our fellow member might find useful.

Disclaimer:
I in no way have any vested interests, monetary or otherwise, in any software or sites found here.
I strongly suggest, & it should go without saying, that you rigorously test all software for any potentially malicious code using up-to-date, quality anti-virus, malware, & root-kit software from tried & true security software firms.

Re: Your Favorite FreeWare Repository

Reply #2
CoolPreviews 3.9  Extension for FireFox

FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Control how the preview window opens, i.e. speed, activation method, etc.
* Control the sensitivity of the preview window
* Toggle previews on/off on any specific site (click our icon on your browser status bar)
* Many more ...

FEATURES
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Preview web links, images, and videos without leaving your current page or tab.
* Automatically subsearch Google, Wikipedia, and others
* Temporarily bookmark items to the right column with our unique "stacks" feature
* Instantly send links to friends and family with just a click.
* Effortlessly preview Google Image search results

If you have too many links to look through, the CoolPreviews browser extension for Firefox might be what you're looking for. It opens a preview window to any link you mouse over when you point your cursor to an individual search result. A small, translucent blue box appears. Mouse over that and CoolPreviews pops up a floating window with that link's contents.

The extension comes with many useful options. It allows the user to change the size of the pop-up window, e-mail the previewed link to a friend, and "stack" the link, which is CoolPreviews-speak for temporary bookmarking. You can prefetch pages into memory, which is helpful if you lack a broadband connection. By clicking on a link in the preview pane, it opens in the same pane, so there's no messy jumping around. Other features include changing the CoolPreviews activator from a mouse-over link to a click or adding a Control key into the mix to avoid accidental previews.

Attractive to anyone who spends considerable time parsing through search results and uncomplicated to use, CoolPreviews should have a broad appeal to those who want to cut down on needless page loading.

Enjoy

Reply #3
ׂ

Reply #4
I've discovered many interesting freeware at
http://www.freewaregenius.com/

Lots of reviews and comparing tests at a not too much technical perspective.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #5
HDHacker Portable

HDHacker can be used, for example, to save and restore a particular boot manager (such as LILO, for example) before a new Windows setup (which, obviously, overwrites it). An MBR and BootSector backup can also be useful for simple precautionary purposes too, since sometimes viruses or other OS setup (like Linux) could overwrite and/or alter the MBR/Boot Sectors, making it impossible to start up previous OS and/or access datas stored on the disk. HDHacker can provide "insurance" against all these types of loss.

Caution: HDHacker is an advanced hard drive tool for system administrators. Improper use can result in inaccessible hard drives.

Reply #6
ׂ

Reply #7
No problem....hope it serves ya well!

Reply #8
SF - I note you like Dropbox.

Dropbox is included in a Samsung Product I have (Galaxy Note) but I have not used it, favouring Pocket instead. So I'm interested to know if there is a better logic to the one that led my choice, which, for all I know, might have been based on a misconception.

I use the Galaxy Note when away from home, that is away from my unlimited download contract. While away I use a SIM Card-based internet connection which charges for each and every Mb downloaded. That means that if I want to "capture" an article for later reading, I prefer to store it on the Galaxy Note when I have access to free wifi for later reading rather than download it from the Cloud and be charged each and every time I look at it.

It appeared to me that this could be done by Pocket with just the single initial download, but not by DropBox. Is that logic flawed?If so I might try DropBox again and re-read the driving instructions.

Reply #9
Dropbox on Android devices (or at least my Android phone) doesn't sync any files unless you "favorite" them. It's rather inconvenient because you can't "favorite" folders, but it's good enough for if you want some document with you on the go. Reverse syncing is far more problematic still.

Besides that, I also recommend AutoSyncAutoToggle. Android needs some taming to get it to behave without trying to go online all the time, but it can be done. This doesn't only save your wallet; it also saves your battery life.

Reply #10
In Windows, have you ever set your Taskbar to hide, & then one day all of a sudden it hangs, & refuses to hide? 

You check, & recheck the settings...........you reset the settings........click on the desktop.......you try everything, but to no avail your Taskbar refuses to hide!

The only way to fix this (until now) was to restart your Computer/Windows.

Why does this happen?

Windows thinks there is a balloon notification still pending, when actually there isn't, & until this phantom notification is cleared the Taskbar will never hide baring a restart.

Well, try this......it's called [glow=red,2,300]Taskbar Slapper[/glow].

What it does is simply force the issue by simply creating a balloon notification, & then a few seconds later it closes the notification freeing up the Taskbar to hide like you set it to do.

Download it here:

Taskbar Slapper

Unzip it into any folder you choose, & simply run it.      

You can even run it off a USB key if you wish.

Reply #11
In Windows, have you ever […]

That reminds me, back when Windows was my primary OS I used to use this tool called Unlocker (an old blog post about it). It forces Windows to release a USB drive when it just doesn't want to let go. I don't know about Windows 8, but on Windows 7 it was still quite relevant.

Reply #12
ׂ

Reply #13
Oops, I missed that.

Reply #14
I just tried EqualX. It looks like a decent enough equation editor for LaTeX.

Reply #15
TaskInfo is one of the most comprehensive Task Managers for Windows systems (NT 4.0, 2000, WinXP 32 and 64 bit, Server 2003 32 and 64 bit, Vista 32 and 64 bit., Server 2008 32 and 64 bit), Windows 7 and Server 2008 r2 (32 and 64 bit)
Screenshot
TaskInfo Home Page
"Free for personal non-commercial use"!

Something for advanced users and those who want to be there :)

Reply #16
ׂ

Reply #17
@ j7n

On modern computers it still starts up quite quickly.
If you could disable signature checks (I don't think you can, never bothered) even the newest version would probably start quickly on older systems.
TaskInfo was my preferred task manager since w2k. It was more comprehensive than ProcessExplorer or any other task manager.
Among the things I like abut TaskInfo is that it will also show you the kernel drivers (even those injected - you can test by launching ProcessExplorer).

Reply #18
Thanks to SF and others for posting this.

HTTP Everywhere and HOLA were damn good finds.

(Leaning heavily Chrome since my Opera break, though I am still using an old version of Opera, owing to the 45 or so tabs I have that I can't be arsed to part with.

Reply #19
45 Tabs.......no problem......If you have a copy of FireFox to run, try this extension [glow=black,2,300] Session Manager [/glow]  It can hold a single entry of say 45 or more URLs or tabs if you wish, & reopen them at any time with a single mouse click.

Hell, as far as I know there isn't a limitation on either how many URLs or how many groups of tabs you can create.

I could also easily do basically the same thing with a single editable custom button, where one can add/modify/delete any tab entry at their pleasure.

Here is the code (for a FireFox Custom Button) I'd use, & all it would take is to repeatedly copy & paste the code within the button inserting the url(s) of choice.

Each line opens a separate background tab.

Add as many as you wish.

This code example, if used in a Firefox Custom Button, would open 5 background tabs. It also contains a template line. Duplicate the line of code as many times as you need, & in each line use your URL of choice --- as seen in the example below.

Code: [Select]
/*Code*/

gBrowser.addTab("https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?PHPSESSID=8d23d843b036a47d4135f09d36b75d33&action=profile;area=forumprofile");
gBrowser.addTab("https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?PHPSESSID=8d23d843b036a47d4135f09d36b75d33&action=unread");
gBrowser.addTab("https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?PHPSESSID=8d23d843b036a47d4135f09d36b75d33&action=recent");
gBrowser.addTab("https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?PHPSESSID=8d23d843b036a47d4135f09d36b75d33&action=rules");
gBrowser.addTab("https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?PHPSESSID=8d23d843b036a47d4135f09d36b75d33&action=bookmarks");
//gBrowser.addTab("ADD YOUR URL HERE");

Reply #20

45 Tabs.......no problem......If you have a copy of FireFox to run, try this extension [glow=black,2,300] Session Manager [/glow]  It can hold a single entry of say 45 or more URLs or tabs if you wish, & reopen them at any time with a single mouse click.

Hell, as far as I know there isn't a limitation on either how many URLs or how many groups of tabs you can create.

I could also easily do this with a single editable button, where you can add/modify/delete any tab entry at your pleasure.

Here is the code (for a FireFox Custom Button) I'd use, & all it would take is to repeatedly copy & paste the code within the button inserting the url(s) of choice.

Each line opens a separate background tab.

Add as many as you wish.

This code example, if used in a Firefox Custom Button, would open 3 background tabs. It also contains a template line. Duplicate the line of code as many times as you need, & in each line use your URL of choice --- as seen in the example below.

Code: [Select]
/*Code*/

gBrowser.addTab("https://www.dropbox.com/login?lhs_type=anywhere");
gBrowser.addTab("http://drive.google.com");
gBrowser.addTab("https://uploadingit.com/login");
//gBrowser.addTab("ADD YOUR URL HERE");

Once again, thank ya Sir!

I actually downloaded the newest version of FF around lunch, per your recommendation a while back.
Been having to work on a relative's browser as well. (Poor thing thought that IE was the only browser there was, lol.)

Reply #21
(Poor thing thought that IE was the only browser there was, lol.)

Lolz, reminds me of when my aunt came in from Oklahoma. She had told mom her internet wasn't working here and mom in turn asked me to take a look when she saw me next. So I did. My aunt told me the problem was her e-net wasn't working. I thought she meant ethernet first and was a little confused why she was going to the router to plug in... follow up questions made me realize she hadn't plugged it in anywhere. Thought then maybe e-net was an ISP from out her way, but follow up questions again lead to a dead end. So I asked what she did when "e-net" failed. She points to the IE icon and says, "I clicked that." :faceplam: ooooooooooooooohhhh! Icon with an "E" that provides internet equals "E-net". Makes perfect sense, smh. :-D

Reply #22
I actually downloaded the newest version of FF around lunch, per your recommendation a while back.

JUST AS A REMINDER, if you want to make/use any custom buttons, you will need to install the [glow=black,2,300]CUSTOM BUTTONS [/glow]extension.

If & when you do I'll be more than happy to make the button for ya (from above code), & any other buttons I might have that you can use/need.

Reply #23
Contributing to topic...
For gamers there's some open source remakes of classic abandon-ware.

Scorched 3D, is an awesome remake of the old 2D Tank Wars I used to love.
OpenTTD, brings back fond memories of Transport Tycoon but with many feature inclusions that were absent. 
LinCity-NG, is one I don't have any experience with but has entertained my son when Windows 7 wouldn't play SimCity2000. So a win in my book too.

And here's a list of open source games.

Reply #24

JUST AS A REMINDER, if you want to make/use any custom buttons, you will need to install the [glow=black,2,300]CUSTOM BUTTONS [/glow]extension.

If & when you do I'll be more than happy to make the button for ya (from above code), & any other buttons I might have that you can use/need.

Once again, thank ya Sir!  :cheers:
You've been quite the help, and I really appreciate it!

Got about 12 of those 45 tabs converted. Going to be a long process, but like Hemingway said, "Above all else, endure".

@ensbb3: LOL @ your story.