Skip to main content
Topic: What's the real story of the solider? (Read 4578 times)

What's the real story of the solider?

At first I thought it was something very positive that the US solider held by the terrorists was a positive outcome. However other things started coming up which created a degree of puzzlement. One report said he had been made a sergeant whilst away. When Obama appeared with the parents he waxed lyrical as is his wont on how they never leave uniformed personell behind. Thi is odd apart from being treated heroically it seems he left his base unoffically and therefor without consent. Took nothing with him such as his armoured gear, etc. In one of his emails he was quite scathing about operations in Afghanistan and wanted to be a help to the people. At the same time accusing his own nation of being conceited. 

Of course I would have been happy if it was all just as originally informed but now with a different aspect kind of odd if he was promoted and festooned as some kind of hero when there are basic doubts??
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: What's the real story of the solider?

Reply #1
While Josh isn't there, I wonder what would matter to terrorists a US solider, and whether a US liquider would have the same outcome...

Reply #2
Yes, I often think about US liquiders and soliders. I've concluded that neither one thing or the other, they all are made of gas. Gasers? ah Geisers, as the Old Something at Yellowstone.

Now, the soldier. Maybe he developed the Stockholm Syndrome.
The release of a long time prisoner it's always a delicate operation and I don't believe the American military services could be so bad that they would allow for the circus that's happening. For some reason that I don't know nor I am specially interested in knowing all the story RjHowie is referring was deliberated prepared by the military services. It had to be.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #3
It would be of course greatly more helpful if the powers that be were being more honest. The only comment I have noted from Obama was that nothing else was important but returning every soldier. That borders on the hypocritical. Even more so when one reads what the soldier sent in an email home regarding his nation and his army.  Dare say the solider might in fact be truthful in his stance but the authorities are something else.  After 5 years I am glad he is away from the Afghan hell hole which obviously effected him much.  Trying to bend things and make him some form of national hero is pushing the boundaries. Especially when he as we know left the base at night ;leaving his rifle, armour behind and making a point. I don't think he expected to be held in such a terrible situation for years and he is no innocent it seems.

Reply #4
Well, this story about the poor hostage American soldier, who has been held 'against his will'  by the Islamic Terrorist Taliban for 5 years, & recently released via a "trade" negotiated by Barrack Hussein Obama (PBOH) for five (5) high level, blood thursty, proven Islamic terrorists being held in Guantanamo Bay, makes me sick.

As soon as these 5 scumbags of the highest order get back in with their rug kneelin' buddies, they will surely be on the front lines again trying to take American lives for Allah.

Thanks, Mr. President, may you live to taste the blood dripping from your hands!

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIZ70VFlZEw[/VIDEO]

Here is how  Bergdahl  was actually "captured", and how PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, & 2LT Darryn Andrews,  six (6) good men, died trying to find him.

This is from someone who was actually there:
Quote from:      The Federalist Papers    http://tinyurl.com/q53938s    

[glow=black,2,300]Bergdahl Snuck Off Post to Join Taliban; At Least Six Good Men Died Trying to Find Him[/glow]

‘We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard.

Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to “walk the earth” and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he’s gone. We search everywhere, and can’t find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife.

We find some Afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them.

We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that’s what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him.

PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him.

His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities.

The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth.

Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did.

Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday.’”

Here is a guy, who by all accounts of those that were side by side with him in Afghanistan, was a no account, disgruntled, Islamic sympathizer, who actually went AWOL where he 'fell' into the hands of the Taliban.

No matter what, it is for sure this turn-tail scumbaggo Bergdahl isn't a hero by any measure, & actually he should be held to account, at his court marshal, for the brave Americans who died at the hands of the Taliban looking for him when he went so called 'missing'.

BTW....&....Furthermore......

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z26lX8_RoDs[/VIDEO]

IMHO.....A firing squad would be too freekin' good!

Reply #5
As a follow-up to my previous post, here is Bergdahl's Former Team Leader's first hand account of actual events subsequent to Bergdahl's questionable capture, opening up to further speculation that Bergdahl was not only a deserter, but a traitor as well:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGreLRGoMpg[/VIDEO]

Ahh, to be at a vantage point with the weapon of my choice.....sigh..

And a further question needs immediate answering.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcV_dwt_uys[/VIDEO]

Did President Barrack Hussein Obama break the law, or laws, in releasing the Five (5) Guantanamo Detainees (Islamic Terrorists) in order to secure Bergdahl's release?

There are very strong & angry words being spoken about Obama's decision, & from both Republican, & democrat....Left & Right.

If Obama did break the law, or laws,  what should be Congress's  next move? 

The word impeachment has been thrown about --- by not only Republicans, but by democrats too.

What say ye?

Reply #6
Firstly SmileyFaze on the matter of laws and being broken. I am of the opinion that is a charge that can be made about your own government on spying illegally on it's citizens. Then there are prisoners in that Cuban camp who have been there 11 years with no charge no case to proceed yet the are stuck. Not a very good advert for a nation that thinks it is the world's no 1. Now back to the sergeant.

It may have been the case he was not aware at the hand-overs the situation and hurrahs going on. Will his home town which has been in delirious mood continue the farce considering what the man did? Then there was all that luvvy-duvvy stuff in front of the ameras with his parents. The excuse being they never leave a solider behind so what happens next? Will the army Court-Martial him for desertion? If they did would Obama step in and cancel any decision to punish him? Obama has put himself in a very stupid position and no doubt the culprit for all his sympathy for Afghans, etc is missing home.

There is a big contradiction going on here and I would not be surprised if there is a move to exonerate him due to being suffering 5 years with the Taliban. If he thought he was going to coax them then he has a damn mental problem especially when one considers the numbers killed and wounded in the military. I am not a big fan of American military activities and war creating around the world (as is known) but I think the powers that be are getting themselves into a very trying corner as things more and more come out. What did the fool think he was going to do walking out from his fellow troops especially as they will be leaving the country.

Reply #7
Eve if he was a deserter, Bergdahl still needed to be returned to the US to face investigations and possible trial. Leave it to Republicans to attack the president for getting a soldier back, either for freedom or imprisonment depending on his guilt or innocence.

Also leave to Republicans to cry crocodile tears over six men, but support going to war for little to no reason outside their lies and deception - resulting in the deaths of thousands.

Reply #8
Seems to me that deserting to the Taliban side would be chancy at best. Didn't I read a story a few years back, when they were tied in with AlQaeda, that a reporter decided to defect to them, and for his reward he was forced to denounce the US and then got his head cut off on camera? The sins of being an American and a Jew were things AlQaeda would never forgive the reporter for, so he was executed. Nice people to do business with, eh?
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #9
That's why I don't quite buy the story that he actually defected. At this point it still isn't clear that's what actually what happened. Fox, of course, got the information from a man who was a criminal himself in the Iran Contra scandal.  Wikileaks obtained copies of Taliban radio transcripts indicating that Bergdahl was indeed captured and was taking a dump at the time.

caps in original transcript:

UPDATE: 0610z LLVI TRAFFIC FROM REDRIDGE: freq 162.1 1- W ARE READY FOR THEM. 2- ALL THE NUMBERS ARE MESS IT. WE ARE WWAITING FOR THEM. 1- LOL THEY KNOW WHERE HE IS BUT THEY KEEP GOING TO WRONG AREA. 2- OK SET UP THE WORK FOR THEM. 1- YES WE HAVE A LOT OF IED ON THE ROAD. 2- GOD WILLING WE WILL DO IT. 1- WE WERE ATTACKING THE POST HE WAS SITTING TAKING EXPLETIVE HE HAD NO GUN WITH HIM. HE WAS TAKING EXPLETIVE, HE HAS NOT CLEANED HIS BUTT YET. 2- WHAT SHEAM FOR THEM. 1- I DONT THINK HE W 2-YES LOOK THEY HAVE ALL AMERICANS, ANA HELICOPTERS THE PLANES ARE LOOKING FOR HIM. 1- I THINK HE IS BIG SHOT THAT WHY THEY ARE LOOKING FOR HIM. 3-CAN YOU GUYS MAKE A VIDEO OF HIM AND ANNOUNCE IT ALL OVER AFGHANISTAN THAT WE HAVE ONE OF THE AMERICANS. 1- WE ALREADY HAVE A VIDEO OF HIM. 

Think what you will about Obama, but I'm telling you right now this is just another attack on the Obama administration by the GOP and their propaganda arm, Fox. In the 1% chance that I'm wrong, we still needed him back to throw his ass in prison.

Reply #10
I reffered to the matter of the reason for his sneaking out of the base. In his emails home he made it very obvious what he thought about what his country was doing in Afghanistan. I also said that perhaps he thought he could do something but it was a pointless gesture and would have been a waste of time. Even if he was thinking of being principled he is in the army and a leader of men and you cannot act like a civilian. Of course there will be people in the USA who will be angry - ine newspaper report said that his home town was now going a bit quieter on the homecoming. After 5 years stuck with the Taliban there will be mental issues too. All armies will get a degree of PTS but the US army seems to have a much higher proprtion than the others which is odd. Or is it the level of the incomers?

Reply #11
It sounds like he get disillusioned, but that didn't give him the right to walk away. You're right about him developing mental issues and Belfrager noted Stockholm Syndrome. If you're right about the US army having a higher than normal degree of PTS, that's definitely needs to be looked into.

A little more about his the defection accusation. More information came in that's increasingly unlikely. Right now he's in the hospital recovering from injuries he received at the hands of the Taliban and indeed attempted to escape and tried to had from them and hid in a trench he dug with his bare hands.

Now about Smiletfaze's claim that six men died searching for him, even Fox reports that's not correct. That was yet another GOP lie. Two members of his unit did die while the search was underway, but apparently  that had nothing to do with him. At all. Nada. Ziltch.

Reply #12
If you're right about the US army having a higher than normal degree of PTS, that's definitely needs to be looked into.

A quick search didn't yield any semi-trustworthy results, but even so I'd point out that "shell shock" was traditionally not acknowledged as a real problem. In that sense it's at least conceivable that, if true, a higher degree of PTSD diagnoses might be a positive aspect of the US military. Or simply a sign that the US military has been engaged in significantly more operations. You don't just want the rate per 1000 soldiers; at the very least you want the rate per 1000 deployed soldiers or some such.

Reply #13
What's the name of a tv series about a story very much like this one?
I saw a few episodes but then, I don't remember why, stopped watching it and now comes to my mind.

I'm just vaguely suggesting that reality it's already a tv series. No one cares if the general public knows the truth or not.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
We might never know the real story of the "solider" because the whole thing has gone political now. Once it becomes a Republican vs Democrat screamfest, you can just about forget about finding out the truth because both sides will lie to make the other side look bad. Which, incidentally, they're succeeding at because both sides are managing to look terrible right about now.

At very best, this soldier doesn't come off looking too good. Getting caught with your pants down in a war zone is not exactly a promotional bell-ringer you know. If he did, in fact, try to defect to the enemy then he's guilty not only of desertion, but of seriously not understanding exactly what sort of enemy he was dealing with. He should face court-martial for the desertion charges, we'll have to see what actually happens. Trading enemy prisoners to get one of our own back-- historically, it's been done before. Prisoner exchanges go back at least to the Civil War and maybe to the Revolutionary War. that I've read about. Nothing new there.

Now, as it happens the title of this thread makes me wonder. Do we also have liquiders? I expect we've elected more than a few gassers to political office so I'm reasonably certain about those.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #15
Everything is a Republican versus Democrat screamfest, even things that shouldn't be political issues at all. Why do think this country is going to hell?

Reply #16
Well Sanguinemoon, I watched a documentary a whiule back and it was very revealing as it also interviewed medical officers in the military. On top of that there are over 350 suicides in the US military so roughly one every day. Maybe it is something to do with the quality? With 40 million folk on food stamps, increased homelessness and lack of decent incomes the Army can be a way out. You also get free medical care that they wouldn't afford on civvy street. There have been several incidents over the years which add to this disturbing picture. Even the top brass have concerns on the mental health matters. Obviously it is a minority but a substantial one

As for this solider coming back having been languishing since 23 and now 28 when did he become a sergeant? Surely not at 23 for goodness sake. Or was it as I mentioned something dished out whilst he was a prisoner? That would be a daftness in itself. I also think that America will find out the true story as to why he shoved off because the nation is now so divided. Every time I see and hear that utter fool Senator McCann I groan so I hope they don't get him too involved as he IS a nut job and a complete nutter.  If the solider does have mental problems one has to hope he will get some decent health support and equally the truth eventually come out.

Reply #17
[glow=blue,2,300]Army general tapped to investigate how, why Bowe Bergdahl left base [/glow]

Quote from:     CNN      http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/14/us/bowe-bergdahl-case/       

Army general tapped to investigate how, why Bowe Bergdahl left base

By Leslie Bentz, CNN

June 15, 2014 -- Updated 0100 GMT (0900 HKT)

(CNN) -- The U.S. Army has appointed a two-star general to investigate how and why Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl left his base in Afghanistan, resulting in his capture, a senior defense official said Saturday.

Bergdahl spent five years in captivity until his release May 31, in exchange for five Taliban figures being held at a U.S. military detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Bergdahl, 28, returned to the United States -- specifically to an Army medical facility in San Antonio, Texas -- early Friday.

The investigating officer looking into the circumstances surrounding how Bergdahl went missing is expected to begin working on the case next week, though that doesn't necessarily signal anything about when the sergeant will undergo formal questioning.

The senior defense official declined to name the general who will investigate until there is a formal announcement.

Bergdahl went missing on June 30, 2009, in Afghanistan's Paktika province, where he was deployed with the 1st Battalion, 501st Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division.

An Army fact-finding investigation conducted in the months after his disappearance concluded he left his outpost deliberately and of his own free will, according to an official who was briefed on the report.

The Army has no definitive finding that Bergdahl deserted because that would require knowing his intent -- something officials couldn't learn without talking to the soldier, a U.S. military official recently told CNN.........continued

Do you think he was just an accidental wandering soldier, savagely pounced upon by the Taliban & held for 5 years against his will, or a lowly deserter determined to aid the enemy, an outright act of treason punishable by death, against a country he hated almost as much as the Orange Order terrorist RJ?

Reply #18
From his apparent emails he seemed very strong and almost vicious in his condemnations of the US military in Afghanistan.  It may well be that his emotional side got so bent that he thought in some vague way he could so something. In a war footing that is as daft as could be conceived especially with the barbarous attitude of the Taliban.  Dare say that if mentally unstable we will find out but there certainly needs to be a proper investigation but he is apart from what will be found out the man who created the problem by deserting his post on spurious grounds.

Reply #19
All's forgiven.

It seems Sgt. Bergdahl was suffering all along in humiliation as a closet Gay Muslim, so anything he did shouldn't be held against him -- it wasn't his fault, poor cherub.

Reply #20
Well the matter blew the patriot mindset out the water and I think that the outcome will be very interesting. Doing what he did was a nonsense especially in a war situation. One would imagine that his home town is now in somewhat mixed feelings from what they originally celebrated.

Reply #21
O note the wandering sergeant has now been given a cumfy desk job whilst the investigation is supposedly going on.