Skip to main content
Topic: The Awesomesauce of having a cow (Read 3464 times)

The Awesomesauce of having a cow

Having a cow has been the goal of ownership from time immemorial. (Heads of) cows is the root of capitalism, and the word "cattle" too originally meant "property".

The most successful mammalian species (measured in biomass), success has come at a cost. And the relationship with Homo sapiens sapiens is also up for reevaluation. Are we at last leaving the Age of Taurus, or are we reinventing it? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXPk2uw_8o

Re: The Awesomesauce of having a cow

Reply #1
But the green slice is quite big right now, and Bos taurus is a large part of the problem. Primarily on land use, but it takes a lot of energy to grow tham, and they produce a lot of natural gas in the process. Either we have to create a better cow, or we must have less of them. Some cause far more harm than others, particularly those in China shops, they will have to go. 

For the rest, there might be tricks. Sea weed may be better than grass which is better than maize and soy. We can make artificial cows, or alternatives to cow, or alternatives to meat all together. Here we intersect with another cultural/economic/moral phenomena:

They are vegans because they can. Throughout our history we haven't been vegans because we couldn't. Animal products have been a necessary supplement to our diet. Now we are affluent enough that we can forego it, and technology gives us alternatives. Thus we can ask ourselves: Is it right to kill animals for food? I find it likely that 22nd century people will look at our eating habits with revulsion.

"The aurochs are back", kind of: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6XGOlYBvY

Reply #2
Either we have to create a better cow, or we must have less of them.
Or less people. Stop overpopulation and cows will not be a problem. As many other current problems.

Thus we can ask ourselves: Is it right to kill animals for food?
Course it is.
As it is right to kill them for pleasure, it's called hunting and it's a perfectly legal and regulated activity all over the world.

P.S. With age I've been slowly changing my views on hunting. Today, I'm not so sure about it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #3
Some have a cow, some have a coffee.

Reply #4
Or less people. Stop overpopulation and cows will not be a problem. As many other current problems.

The cow carbon hoofprint would be no smaller with fewer humans, though if there were too few humans the current cow population would have difficulty surviving.

Reply #5
The cow carbon hoofprint would be no smaller with fewer humans
These cows are not wild animals, they are raised by people. Less people raises less cows because there will be less demand for cow products. Capicce? 
A matter of attitude.

Reply #6
@jax will you get a bull too for your cow?

Reply #7
Cow is predominantly unisex. Or unicow if you like. 

Reply #8
Fetchez la vache!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXx56WqqJw[/video]

Reply #9
The reality of owning cows isn't so glamorous. My grandfather raised them, prompting my dad to get involved when I was a kid. I do not miss the dumb beasts. The proclivity to make a ridiculously dumb choice, even given an obviously good/easy option to just follow the herd into a fresh field full of grass, was frustrating to say the least. The dumbest horse I've ever had would still be a gifted thinker in cow society.   

Reply #10
They were not selected for their creativity. Like us they have adapted to and taken advantage of the grass world domination. But unlike humans in the beer hypothesis cows haven't had their Monolith moment yet.

There have been many attempt to upgrade cows the last decade or so, Cows Are Way More Intelligent Than You Probably Thought

And sure, if the ability to hold a grudge is a sign of intelligence, cows are bright. Echolocating, whether in mazes or not, they probably are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvtT3UyhibQ

Which it turn means the cowbells may be a millennium-old imposition. GPS might be a better option for cow ears. We might have to start practicing our apology speech to a proper representative of bovinity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHvNH55wg0c

Reply #11

Which it turn means the cowbells may be a millennium-old imposition. GPS might be a better option for cow ears. We might have to start practicing our apology speech to a proper representative of bovinity.
Indeed. That makes me feel sorry for the poor cows. Their fate as being dinner is bad enough, but imagine having to listen to that clanging everytime you take a step!

“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal