Skip to main content
Topic: I Feel Old… (Read 25471 times)

Re: I Feel Old…

Reply #75
So Mac is not modern enough to automatically link to dependencies? Good to know that my staying away from Mac has been worth it.
I wasn't installing a package; only a dmg...
What do I use jEdit for? Any type of file used in coding. (Opera's ini files, javascript, HTML, and C and Go source, e.g.) It's a versatile tool. (Not as versatile as Acme -- but then what is? :) ) And it looks good!
(Do you use Windows machines sometimes, ersi? I'm exploring Wine at the moment...)

About that "who knew" comment: Since the Viet Nam war ended, all I've heard about Thailand concerns its "dens of iniquity" and occasional "civil unrest".

I'm leery of so-called companies that seem based on the swap-meet model so, no, I've not tried Wish. (And I don't shop with my phone!)

I don't get your animosity for Macintosh machines and their operating systems and the people who use them. But I've seen such before, and accept it as a part of life as it is. I don't consider myself a Mac fanatic. I do, however, prefer Macs to PCs. (Were I constrained to a PC, I'd likely install some flavor of Linux. Then I could moan about the dearth of software like Mac users of old used to do! :) One of the serious reasons I "learned" to dislike Microsoft was having to use its Internet Explorer on the Mac. That's how I came to MyOpera Forums: I bought ver 6.03, and wanted to get the manual... :) )

My installation of Opera 11 needs some help: A plague of 404 errors has descended! (But, then, I remember: My history in Chrome should have -if it tallied where it usually took me- listed the Snap! page at the top!) The weirdest thing is that pasting a URL into the address field doesn't work...but typing it does.
Gonna have to do a clean install and forgo my changes while I figure it out. (Perhaps there's something in the Browser Javascript...?)

BTW: I'd gladly return to Microware's Level II os-9, rather than a Windows installation. (I'm looking for a way to set up such a system via emulation of the 6809 processor...) But since this is a new OS X install, I've got to get the developer's stuff all over again. Sigh.

Downloading xCode now; had to go through the Developer channel... :) Been a while!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #76
What do I use jEdit for? Any type of file used in coding. (Opera's ini files, javascript, HTML, and C and Go source, e.g.) [...] And it looks good!
If it cannot run in the terminal, it cannot look good. Java is one of the ugliest languages I know and Java apps are terribly unstable.

In addition to coding, it would be nice if the editor did some good note-taking language, such as markdown, and forum posts. My fav editor is better than yours, because mine can do all that - run in the terminal, has a good note-taking/drafting facility, and it can edit BBCode as used on this forum.

(Do you use Windows machines sometimes, ersi? I'm exploring Wine at the moment...)
I am forced to use Windows at my job. Wine is best avoided. The more elaborate the Windows program, the more glitchy it is in Wine. My plan with moving to Linux was to drop Windows entirely along with all of its programs.

About that "who knew" comment: Since the Viet Nam war ended, all I've heard about Thailand concerns its "dens of iniquity" and occasional "civil unrest".
In what movie was that? I can recommend a different movie.

I don't get your animosity for Macintosh machines and their operating systems and the people who use them. But I've seen such before, and accept it as a part of life as it is. I don't consider myself a Mac fanatic. I do, however, prefer Macs to PCs. (Were I constrained to a PC, I'd likely install some flavor of Linux. Then I could moan about the dearth of software like Mac users of old used to do! :)
Were I constrained to a Mac, I would also install some flavour of Linux on it, as I always do to any computer under my control. I have no liking for Mac because of what it represents. It is not a very deep hatred, because I have had almost no contact with Macs. My hatred for Windows is deeper by far.

There is no dearth of software on Linux. Well, there is some dearth of paid and closed-source software on Linux, but I have no use for such software on any opsys.

My installation of Opera 11 needs some help: A plague of 404 errors has descended!
I moved to Opera 6 first and foremost for its email client, and I still use Opera 11 for email. The browser part always was barely workable, because the web never became compliant. The browser part was (and is) only usable for some geeky testing, custom-styling a long webpage for a comfortable read, and occasional posting on DnD Sanctuary.

Reply #77
If it cannot run in the terminal, it cannot look good.
Yeah. Who need graphics and sound? (I used a windowing system on alpha-numeric terminals, long ago... :) Funky, but it worked! The C code is probably still available...)
I assume you refuse to use a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse?! Perhaps a Televideo 910 would suit you? (I used one for years! Solid keyboard, 19,200 baud communication rate...full duplex, of course. :) )
My fav editor is better than yours
...for what you like to do, perhaps. (Note: It's included on my system too.) I'd ask you, which programming languages does Nano do syntax highlighting for? (Or would you eschew such wimpy reliance on software? :) ) Of course... Wait? What?
I have no liking for Mac because of what it represents. [...] I moved to Opera 6 first and foremost for its email client
Why didn't you just use Emacs for your email? :)
"What it represents"? As I'd thought: It's a religious thing... :)

进行 ...

Reply #78
If it cannot run in the terminal, it cannot look good.
Yeah. Who need graphics and sound? (I used a windowing system on alpha-numeric terminals, long ago... :) Funky, but it worked! The C code is probably still available...)

I assume you refuse to use a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse?! Perhaps a Televideo 910 would suit you? (I used one for years! Solid keyboard, 19,200 baud communication rate...full duplex, of course. :) )
Looks like a respectable device. I may hunt one down at some point. Currently I am using something similar

I'd ask you, which programming languages does Nano do syntax highlighting for? (Or would you eschew such wimpy reliance on software? :) )
Nano has been evolving significantly over past ten years or so. On my distro, there always was some syntax highlight as long as I have been on the distro. Output of ls /usr/share/nano right now:

Code: [Select]
asm.nanorc
autoconf.nanorc
awk.nanorc
changelog.nanorc
cmake.nanorc
c.nanorc
css.nanorc
default.nanorc
elisp.nanorc
email.nanorc
extra
go.nanorc
groff.nanorc
guile.nanorc
html.nanorc
java.nanorc
javascript.nanorc
json.nanorc
lua.nanorc
makefile.nanorc
man.nanorc
markdown.nanorc
nanohelp.nanorc
nanorc.nanorc
nftables.nanorc
objc.nanorc
ocaml.nanorc
patch.nanorc
perl.nanorc
php.nanorc
po.nanorc
python.nanorc
ruby.nanorc
rust.nanorc
sh.nanorc
sql.nanorc
tcl.nanorc
texinfo.nanorc
tex.nanorc
xml.nanorc

Why didn't you just use Emacs for your email? :)
For that I should have gotten into Emacs much earlier. I only got into it very recently. Org mode won me over.

"What it represents"? As I'd thought: It's a religious thing... :)
Yes, that's what I am talking about. For example.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFhjDX-DUew[/video]

Reply #79
Well drifting back to the starting picture I decided to replace a second phone in a room upstairs so got one with the dial up and also in my favourite colour of orange. Brings back old memories when I use it and the dial whirs round with that lovely sound, Had also missed the dial style and putting up with pressing buttons (until  at least upstairs) !
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #80
For someone who "reads" the news for a living, you seem extremely gullible... Your example above is a commercial for "a transformational coach and motivational speaker who works one-on-one with individuals to reach magical new heights in. (sic)" :)
进行 ...

Reply #81
For someone who "reads" the news for a living, you seem extremely gullible... Your example above is a commercial for "a transformational coach and motivational speaker who works one-on-one with individuals to reach magical new heights in. (sic)" :)
You are the gullible one, if you thought I would pick anything but the most insulting material for you. I could have picked this rant by a tech pro, but you'd fail to appreciate his expertise and it would be no fun.

Anyway, here it is, and it makes the same point you correctly identified: It's a religious thing when it comes to Apple fans.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8[/video]

Reply #82
Eh? I make allowances for the country you live in Oaky but what was that guff about a dial phone?!

Reply #83
what was that guff about a dial phone?!
I'm curious, too, RJ: What are you talking about?
进行 ...

Reply #84
Your last contribution puzzling.

Reply #85
Your last contribution puzzling.
I merely asked what you thought I'd said about dial phones that you considered "guff"... Indeed: What did I say about dial phones?
进行 ...

Reply #86
It looked odd but so you can relax and get a decent sleep (!) I always loved the old dial phones so why I bought one for my bedroom upstairs!Bright orange (of course) and lovely to hear the sound when I dial. Ah, like enjoying a cuddle from a pretty woman.  :up:

Reply #87
Is this a case of "You can take the boy out of Glasgow, but you can't take Glasgow out of the boy"? :)
(Just another instance of Howie waxing erotic!)
进行 ...

Reply #88
Take Glasgow out of a boy? Shocking thing.  :rolleyes: