Skip to main content
Topic: Smacking a child to be dropped now (Read 1387 times)

Smacking a child to be dropped now

Scotland is to be the first of the UK nations to ban this activity. All part of the drift in modern times of would-be liberalism. I have never thought it a big issue and recall when the strap banned in schools how the suspensions rose, etc.In my city education department where I was remember parents who were not happy when that happened.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Smacking a child to be dropped now

Reply #1
I have never thought it a big issue

It's not about you though, it's about assaulting children. Now they have the same protection from assault as adults do.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #2
More modern would-be wonderful liberalism. Smacking children was not some massive big wide fiasco and i would say in most cases where it happened it was more of a child getting voiced at being caught out and punished.  Was not an essential problem just occasional cases.

Reply #3
Smacking children was not some massive big wide fiasco

It's assault no matter how widespread it was.
I would be arrested and charged with assault if I gave you a smack, a child deserves the very same protection.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #4
Daft and liberal nonsense. Going on about smcaking as if a kind of pandemic.

Reply #5
a child deserves the very same protection.
And access to drugs and spirits, the right to vote (and drive...) and to change its sex...

I would be arrested and charged with assault if I gave you a smack
Only in a very litigious country, for the benefit of "girlie-men". :)

Quite seriously: Is it the aim, to treat parents as children and children as adults? Is that what government is for?
Perhaps we should treat government as inmates of homes for the delusional? Just nod at their nutty notions, and go about our day...

进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #7
Is it the aim, to treat parents as children and children as adults? Is that what government is for?

Governments job should be to protect all of it's citizens and that includes children.

Reply #8
So it's still legal in the UK (barring Scotland)? Here it has been illegal for 41 years.

Then again the English have had a reputed penchant for punishment, must have been why.

I don't know why it is still legal in Belgium, though.

Child corporal punishment laws

It's been the law in Scotland for over a year. Any breakdown in society yet?

Reply #9
Huh, I didn't realize that. I would imagine consistent beating would nevertheless fall under child abuse laws.
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/04/08/waarom-heeft-belgie-nog-steeds-geen-verbod-op-het-slaan-van-kind/

To be clear, smacking a child's hand away from an open flame or janking them onto the sidewalk in the face of traffic is evidently something else.

Reply #10

It passed through parliament a year ago but only came into effect on the 7th November this year.

Reply #11
That earlier comment about smacking me could mean well assault and no doubt action. utterly silly. Smacking a kid lightly on the bottom was not heavy nor everyone doing it. We just get rolled back in society now and if you object get labelled daftly. The other thing here in Scotland was the project to change the law and not want someone jailed for under a year. That direction was a groan when the lowest level the District Courts could not jail for more than 6 weeks! Way we are being taken a glare will be a crime!  :irked:

Reply #12
Any enforcement actions? (Arrests, incarcerations, court cases...)
Governments job should be to protect all of it's citizens
Whose job is it to protect the citizenry from the government?
The Nanny State is the only permissible authority, eh? (Wait: Are nannies exempted from this law? :) )
进行 ...

Reply #13
Wait: Are nannies exempted from this law?

No.

Reply #14
Oakdale it is all part of the increasing nanny state process......... ;)

Reply #15
I was under the impression that you, RJ, were in favor of the Nanny State... It's Ye Olde Slippery Slope, it is! :) (I recommend settling in with a mug of hot spiced cider and reading Robert Frost's poem "Farmer Brown's Descent"... :) )
进行 ...

Reply #16
No nanny thing not my cup of tea Oakdale! The issue of a child getting a slap on the backside was not some massive and wild thing at all. In most kids where it happened and they were a minority when they cried it was more because they were caught out on something and  that was it. You would think it was a mass terror thing which was nonsense but the willy-nilly attitude pops up everywhere these day.The nanny state minds are a groan. Can I also let you know dear man that our local government started coming u with an authoritative situation that every child in Scotland would have someone to be responsible for not matter what your background was. However the population across the board were determined not to have such State authority. Talk about modern control freaking!  :-[