Skip to main content
Topic: FIFA World Cups (Read 56493 times)

Re: FIFA World Cups

Reply #25
An asided, realting to the politics.

Blatter is to run for 5th term

The bad news is that he is likely to get it unless a combination of sponsors and the relative powerful European FAs stick their ground.

But in the end, the decision will depend on the number of votes for and against and on who has the courage to stand out against him.

The other day he annoyed the Europeans by claiming that the British Press was conducting a racist campaign on FIFA's choice to World Cup Venues, notably Qatar. see here and here for the European Reaction and here and here

So even after that criticism Blatter is eager to soldier on happily supported by a host of FAs who benefit from IFA largess and galvanted by racist goading from Blatter.

Reply #26
Here's a special World Cup recipe:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqjZSsx5ARc[/video]

Reply #27
Portugal lost  2-2 with the Usa.
Yes, lost.
Not winning 5-0 against the Usa it's always a defeat.

Perfect, maybe this football mummery will end once for all.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #28
I am terribly torn about tomorrow's match.

I have had Germany winning it all from the beginning, but of course have been supporting USA (us) as well.

Damn it!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQwLeMcbRY[/video]

vs

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYPN-1Yjt0[/video]

Reply #29
If the US and German team each bring some good food and wine and have a relaxing picnic on the grass for 2x45 minutes, they will both go on to play another day.

If on the other hand they play something resembling football, the loser risks being eliminated by the winner of the Portugal-Ghana match. That team would then have forfeited the game for having drunk too little wine.

Reply #30
I heard that Germany-Ghana was a very impressive match.

Reply #31
I think this world cup is the first one ever that I have no idea who is likely to be in the final. The teams that are left all look capable of winning their matches, except for Greece maybe. On the flip side due to some poor defending at times, they all look capable of losing their next match as well.
It makes a very good competition for us neutrals, who's team wasn't good enough to qualify in the first place. 
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #32
I'm going for Argentina and Netherlands in the finals.

Reply #33

I am terribly torn about tomorrow's match.

I have had Germany winning it all from the beginning, but of course have been supporting USA (us) as well.

Damn it!

The coach of Americans is also a German, so there's no reason to be torn. You are for Germany in both cases :)

Reply #34
On the Suarez biting offence, I heard an amusing suggestion for his punishment.

Take his teeth out!

Reply #35
It was in the paper so it must be true. A betting firm has paid out fifty thousand Euros to individuals who bet that he would bite at least one World Cup athlete.

Reply #38
Plus, don't most of the American players play in Germany?

Alas, they're out. They put up a fine show last night. Now it's time for Argentina to be bedeviled.  :hat:

Reply #40

I've said all along that Germany will win it all.

I wish you were right but it won't happen.
In order to have real chances for the title you need at least 15 players in best physical condition and in excellent form. At the moment we have 9 at most. It's an off-the-wall team we are playing with. With some luck we might get over les Tricolores (France) tomorrow but the next station, probably the Seleção (Brasileira), will be the last one for us :(

Reply #41
The Economist has made a neat graph of World Cup goals that I think is an interesting as a graph, more so if you are interested in scoring.

GOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLL!

Reply #42
You have nine? We have one, at most. :eyes:

Reply #43

You have nine? We have one, at most. :eyes:

Wonder which one that is :)

You could lend us 5 players so we can have a real chance for winning the world cup ;)
How about Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Marcelo and Neymar?

Reply #44

You could lend us 5 players so we can have a real chance for winning the world cup ;)
How about Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Marcelo and Neymar?

This is not some Eurovision where you can borrow performers from any random place you want.

Reply #45
I agree they are great players. Though they are still not working well together as a team. And I really appreciate the way the German team is doing lately. (As well as their #2 uniform.) :)

Reply #48
"Headball"?
What should be the name of a sport where you can move the ball with any part of your body except the arms? :right: