Skip to main content
Topic: FIFA World Cups (Read 56493 times)

FIFA World Cups

This thread starts at the run-up stages to the 2014 Football World Cup with, as seems to be customary, controversy surrounding the event.

Will the stadiums be ready in Brazil? Will the Brazilian zest for fun win out over public concern over the cost over-runs and the resulting unrest?

Meanwhile, accusations continue regarding the allocation of the 2018 event to Qatar.

The UK Sunday Times (1st June)  claims to have several secret documents (millions - yes you read that correctly, millions), which are alleged to show that payments totalling US$5m were made in support of Qatar's  bid, suggesting bribery on a massive scale. Calls are being made to rerun the competition to host the event.

But is FIFA capable of making a credible decision? Maybe they could decide that the Antarctic would be a good venue!

Oh yes, there is that other little matter - who is going to win the World Cup?

Re: FIFA World Cups

Reply #1
Stadiums? We don't have enough hospitals, airports, railroads, highways, jails... and we have too much corruption and criminals loose in the streets. Who cares about stadiums?
I wish we could use stadiums to get health care to the people or to arrest criminals.
The world cup in Brazil is a shameless joke.

Reply #2
Are we talking here about  that brand of football that is actually played with the foot?

Reply #3

Are we talking here about  that brand of football that is actually played with the foot?
We are, and also a World Cup that is actually a World Cup.

Reply #4
@Barulheira - you have a good point, these International extravaganzas are often at the expense of real life. The concept is that there should be some sort of legacy from the "investment" but all too often that is simply ignored and just used as a fig-leaf to justify the ego of a few people.

That said however, I intend to enjoy the spectacle.

Reply #5
At the old times, people wanted pans et circens.
Today,  they satisfy with circens.

I hope that pseudo incorporation of my Country, a bunch of underhumans that goes by the name of
the "football selection" to be crushed, defeated and, if possible, kidnapped to some distant destination and never ever return from such "World Cup".
A matter of attitude.

Reply #6

At the old times, people wanted pans et circens.
Today,  they satisfy with circens.

I hope that pseudo incorporation of my Country, a bunch of underhumans that goes by the name of
the "football selection" to be crushed, defeated and, if possible, kidnapped to some distant destination and never ever return from such "World Cup".

Don't hold back. Tell us what you Really think

Reply #7
Ok... we are going to win it, we'll be the World Champions. We have Cristiano Ronaldo we need nothing more, I suppose we can play just with him in the field and spare sending the other morrons.

The more corrupt the championship, the better. It will add an extra humiliating sense of defeat and unfairness to the other competitors that will constitute poetry to my soul. :)

I'm also considering to suit the Portuguese "National Football Federation" for usurpation of the National Flag and Symbols.

Wait... are we going to play against the United States??  :lol:
I can't miss this one.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #8
I didn't bother to watch, but apparently we beat Spain by 1 - 5; the biggest Spanish defeat since 1963. Back then Spain lost from Scotland by 6 - 2.

Reply #9
I didn't bother to watch, but apparently we beat Spain by 1 - 5

You missed one of the best ever goals, scored in a WC. It was a breathtaking game to watch.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #10

I didn't bother to watch, but apparently we beat Spain by 1 - 5; the biggest Spanish defeat since 1963. Back then Spain lost from Scotland by 6 - 2.
It was a good result - congratulations to Holland.

The Dutch performance reminded me a bit of the way Ajax and then Holland used to play. The Spanish picked it up but the Dutch were better at it yesterday. Possession followed by instant denial is the key.

Reply #11

Ok... we are going to win it, we'll be the World Champions. We have Cristiano Ronaldo we need nothing more, I suppose we can play just with him in the field and spare sending the other morrons. . . .
Not a chance, they have an outsize TV screen, Ronald will be too busy looking at himself to score.

Reply #12
You missed one of the best ever goals, scored in a WC. It was a breathtaking game to watch.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkOWmDKqEQ[/video]

Found it. (Unless the other one's better still?)

Reply #13
Found it. (Unless the other one's better still?)

That was a good one too but I was thinking more of this one.
Best video I could find.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpR4dn99WPg[/video]

Edit: Fixed video link
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #14
Heh, nice.

Reply #15

Meanwhile, accusations continue regarding the allocation of the 2018 event to Qatar.

So the Emir managed to bid higher than Putin who wanted the event be played in his back yard the way he did with winter olympics...

Reply #17
Unlike others that remains mute when their country loses, I want to proudly announce to the world that Portugal was beaten by Germany by an humiliating 4-0.
As previously accorded, now we just have to pay half of our debt. :)

Mrs Merkel, present at the stadium,  seemed very satisfied with the agreement.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #18
I've said all along that Germany will win it all. They are my favorite, and I am pulling for them, but am also pulling for the US, who are currently leading Ghana 1-0 at 79 minutes.

Reply #19
The Iberic countries are doing the worst so far. :(
But I expect them to overcome this soon. :yes:

Reply #20

I've said all along that Germany will win it all. They are my favorite, and I am pulling for them, but am also pulling for the US, who are currently leading Ghana 1-0 at 79 minutes.[/b]

Is that something the Britts taught ya!?   

Isn't that what they call ........................ wanking?     

Be careful, I hear that that can affect yer vision!!!

Reply #22

That's what I keep thinking every time this particular brand of mad cow disease has another outbreak.

Reply #24
That was fun tt.  :D