Skip to main content
Topic: FIFA World Cups (Read 56810 times)

Re: FIFA World Cups

Reply #175
Businesses  is beyond evil .

since it serve Both Good and evil .

do not go too far till  to the US .

just watch how Hugo Boss played that so well .

Reply #176
Feel free to enumerate big corporations from "Spain, Italy..." able to boost with technology German war industry so it can wage war.

Portugal sold a lot of wolfram (tungsten) to Germany.
For counter balancing we also sold it to the Allies. Advantages of being neutral. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #177
Any soccer expert around? One who is also seeking for a new job?

The Football Association of Finland is on the hunt for a new manager and that job could be yours. All you have to do is submit your resume via email by August 3rd. :)

source

Reply #178
Is anybody here expert on anything?

Reply #179
Fifa: Sepp Blatter faces criminal investigation
Swiss prosecutors have opened a criminal investigation into Sepp Blatter, the head of football's world governing body Fifa.

The attorney general's office said he was being investigated "on suspicion of criminal mismanagement as well as - alternatively - on suspicion of misappropriation".

Mr Blatter was being questioned, and his office was searched, it added.

Fifa said it was co-operating with the investigation.

Hmmmm !

Reply #182
The end is nigher!

Sepp Blatter: Fifa president facing 90-day suspension
Fifa president Sepp Blatter is facing a 90-day provisional suspension.
Members of Fifa's ethics committee have recommended the sanction after the Swiss attorney general opened criminal proceedings against the 79-year-old.

Reply #183
I'm  running out if "nighs"!

The end is provisionally "nighed"

Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini & Jerome Valcke suspended

The decision stops Blatter being involved in any football related activities for 3 months, close to the time when he is due to step down in February.

One interesting implication is that his FIFA salary may become known. Given that the salaries of football's managers, players etc exceed what most would think are reasonable, I'm  prepared for a few raised eyebrows.

Platini is also suspended; he is a strong candidate to be the next president, albeit tainted by association with the shamed culture of FIFAs's Executive Committee.

Reply #184
I could be wrong, but I think that's killed any hope that Platini had for filling the post.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #185
One can only hope. :devil:

Reply #186
Agreed, I am not a fan of Platini. I am hoping that a genuinely new broom can be elected and reform FIFA comprehensively.

Reply #187
Charges raised against Blatter include those concerned with the payment oh £1.35 to Platini for services given in the period 1998 to 2002. These were not paid until 2011.

It now appears that Fifa’s £1.35m payment to Michel Platini: there was no written contract

So done by verbal agreement and in admissable under Swiss Law due to the elapsed time (see the very informative article).

It also appears that Platini is potentially a suspect in wrong doing, although this is not yet the case.

It is rumoured that the election for a new President may be delayed, not I suspect a welcome outcome. Discussions continue.

Reply #189
Apparently neither the 2006 World Cup nomination was clean. It seems that some votes for the World Cup 2006 in Germany were bought as well.

Wonder which World Cup nomination during the past decades was clean? Probably none.
FIFA under the reign of Havelange was as corrupt as it is/was under Blatter.

Is there any institution on earth clean of corruption? UNO, EU, local governments?
It would have been a miracle if FIFA would have been different.

Reply #190
There are bad apples everywhere of course. What has made FIFA different is the seeming tolerance by the top executives to corruption and the incompetence of its governance.

Reply #191

There are bad apples everywhere of course. What has made FIFA different is the seeming tolerance by the top executives to corruption and the incompetence of its governance.

It makes FIFA different from what? From e.g. Volkswagen? Different how?

Occasionally they get caught, but it's just the system itself blowing its own dripping nose. It never gets any better.

Reply #192

It makes FIFA different from what? From e.g. Volkswagen? Different how?

Good point, Ersi.

Occasionally they get caught, but it's just the system itself blowing its own dripping nose. It never gets any better.

Occasionally?
Most of the times only when there are 'upper' interests at stake.
Speaking of VW, it was known for 2-3 years that the software is manipulated. It was discovered here in Germany and it wasn't even kept secret except for the unwashed masses. The reason it was made public only now is something I won't start to speculate about.
BTW, Germany and VW is not the only one... Others might give even worse results if checked...

Reply #193
The "System", "Upper Interests"

Worth a new thread methinks - go for it.

I explained what was different about FIFA, whether what happened in FIFA is widespread is pure speculation. Cynicism is all very entertaining, but without evidence not convincing.

FIFA affects the lives of far more people than does Volkswagen by the way and those who enjoy football expect better than has been the case.

Reply #194

The "System", "Upper Interests"

Worth a new thread methinks - go for it.

Sorry, I won't. It would be predestinated from the very beginning to go utterly bad. ;)

FIFA affects the lives of far more people than does Volkswagen by the way and those who enjoy football expect better than has been the case.

I don't disagree.
The same way millions of people expect a decent life instead of wars and thralldom but I'm deviating again from the subject. Call it cynicism.

However, believe me or not, I'm nevertheless a football fan and tomorrow night I'll sit in front of the TV watching:

:)

Reply #195
The Volkswagen thing needs its own thread, as it happens--- but I have no idea where you'd put it. Maybe an off-shoot of the AGW thread?

I have a suspicion VW thought that because they have small engines they could get away with not hanging DEF systems on their cars. But that's just a theory.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #196

I explained what was different about FIFA, whether what happened in FIFA is widespread is pure speculation. Cynicism is all very entertaining, but without evidence not convincing.

You mentioned what had come to light about FIFA and you refrained from noting obvious parallels with other similar events. Sometimes I think that's cynical.

Reply #197
"Many people will cheat if they can get away with it" is true, but an extreme expansion of this thread on FIFA cheating.

There is probably a thread in waiting for the Wolfsburg manufacturer owning large parts of my town.

That the cheating goes further back than 2014 is a fair point, though probably not a hotly contested one.

Reply #198
There has been a twist in the FIFA Saga with a couple of bits of not exactly unexpected news

Blatter is reported to have stated that the awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia was prearranged.
Sepp Blatter: Russia 2018 World Cup 'agreed before vote'

The English FA certainly didn't:
Fifa crisis: We want our £21 million back over Russia 2018 World Cup fix, says FA chief Greg Dyke
and it appears that there is serious talk of suing FIFA by the FA. If they do the other bidders may well do also methinks.

Apparently, according to Blatter, the award of the 2022 World Cup was meant to be rearranged in favour of the USA, but there was a last minute switch to Qatar,
Blatter: US was agreed host for 2022 World Cup

Noting that the Swiss Authorities are examining the process for FIFA's decisions on those two World Cups, we can expect a certain amount of dirty washing to be exposed.

The following is an account of Blatter's interview with Tass, the Russian News Agency. This is what Blatter said:
In 2010 we had a discussion of the World Cup and then we went to a double decision. For the World Cups it was agreed that we go to Russia because it’s never been in Russia, eastern Europe, and for 2022 we go back to America.

I bet Putin just loved those remarks

There is a lot of self-justification going on in that interview, and a lot of blame being distributed to everyone but Blatter himself. Read ther rest for yourselves.
Blatter: FIFA scandal provoked by Michel Platini