Skip to main content
Topic: FIFA World Cups (Read 56755 times)

Re: FIFA World Cups

Reply #100
The long awaited report on corruption within FIFA has been published.

Well sort of.

What was published was a report by Hans-Joachim Eckert, Fifa's independent ethics adjudicator, who wrote the report. A synopsis, that is, of the full report written by Michael Garcia, a former United States federal prosecutor.

Eckert's report clears Qatar but criticises (the) English FA, concluding, more or less, that FIFA and Qatar are blameless but the English FA are really naughty.

When I started writing this post I was going to follow-on the above by writing something like "Bollocks" and pointing out that FIFA people have been mired in corruption for many years as evidenced by how many of them have been suspended from their posts. But then I would say that wouldn't I, being English.

But such words are not really necessary, Garcia has already objected to Eckert's interpretation of his (Garcia's) report :

Fifa report 'erroneous', says lawyer who investigated corruption claims. He is reported to have stated that the report
"contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations"

There are calls for Garcia's report to by published in full, naturally by the naughty English.

So FIFA's reputation remains questionable. Mind you I don't expect them to publish the full report.

Edit: I see that UEFA (with others) has joined the Naughty Club in also calling for the full Garcia Report to be published:

Michel Platini wants Fifa World Cup report to be made public

Reply #101
Meanwhile, things are going just fine in the favelas.

Reply #102
Noting the position of the finger I suspect a posed picture is what we're looking at.

SF to advise please.

Reply #103
Criticism of FIFA continues. According to Michael Garcia, the American Lawyer who conducted FIFA's own investigation in Corruption, Hans-Joachim Eckert, for FIFA, has misrepresented the conclusions of his report. This confirmed the suspicions of many and there is a growing clamour for the full report to be published. Both in the UK and in Germany there are calls for strong action by UEFA, raising the possibility of a boycott of the Russian-hosted World cup in 4 years time or even UEFA quitting FIFA.

External to Europe, in America is also dismay at the continuing inability of FIFA to  put its house in order, or even admit that a problem exists. Spicing up the whole thing is an ongoing investigation by the FBI - see  FBI moves ahead with FIFA corruption probe.

Australia too is not silent Fifa under fire after World Cup corruption report

This Thursday
- Michael Garcia and Hans-Joachim Eckert (are) to discuss FIFA bidding report. I doubt that anything will come of it directly excect that FIFA may well dig the hole they have fallen into even deeper - see here.

There are many articles to choose from Just Google

Corruption FIFA.

Reply #104
It looks as though FIFA is approaching an end game of sorts.

Arrests have been made for corruption and some FIFA officials/ ex-officials have admitted guilt already, as a result of an investigation by the FBI.

The arrest comes a couple of days before the election for a new President.
Fifa corruption inquiries: Officials arrested in Zurich

Reply #105
So far so good.

We are issuing FIFA a red card": US Department of Justice vow clamp down on football corruption

The USA showing the red card to the International Football Association?

One starts to wonder if it's really only about corruption or rather politically motivated.
Fighting corruption is one thing, instrumentalizing the FIFA for political purposes just another.

The next president of FIFA has a responsibility to ensure not only a safe and successful 2018 World Cup, but the endurance of the FIFA mission that claims to promote football ‘globally in the light of its unifying, educational, cultural and humanitarian values.’  We strongly encourage you to elect a president who will uphold these values and work to deny the Putin regime the privilege of hosting the 2018 World Cup.

Reply #106

So far so good.

We are issuing FIFA a red card": US Department of Justice vow clamp down on football corruption

The USA showing the red card to the International Football Association?

One starts to wonder if it's really only about corruption or rather politically motivated.
Fighting corruption is one thing, instrumentalizing the FIFA for political purposes just another.

Probably Putin had to pay up less to FIFA bosses than U.S did in their time, so the outcry is most definitely only about corruption. Under a fair system, the prices would be equal or in some agreed proportion.

Reply #107
In the meantime UEFA has asked Blatter to resign, which he has refused to do.  Putin has weighed in, accusing the US for pursuing a World Domination agenda in investigating FIFA. It is worth mentioning that the Swiss authorities are investigating the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups won, respectively, by Russia and Qatar. The FBI has been investigating previous corruption, money laundering and so on.

Platini, UEFA President, has openly mentioned the possibility of UEFA boycotting the FIFA World Cup should Blatter get re-elected.

Several people, ex FIFA Officials, have been arrested for questioning in connection with the FBI investigation.

This Friday there will be an election for President of FIFA for the next 4 years. UEFA will have a meeting afterwards to consider their reaction should Blatter win another term as President.

Quite a mess!

Reply #108
I'm not a FIFA fan but there's news about the scandal everywhere.

From http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/sports/soccer/sepp-blatter-fifa-corruption-soccer.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

ZURICH — Sepp Blatter, the president of world soccer’s governing body, acknowledged the “unprecedented and difficult times” for his organization on Thursday and said it must do a better job of policing itself, but he largely avoided taking responsibility for the actions of “a tiny minority” arrested in a corruption inquiry this week.

Jack Warner, a former FIFA vice president, is among those expected to face charges in the United
Despite Wednesday’s arrests, Sepp Blatter is expected to win a fifth term as FIFA’s president on Friday.

FIFA officials, including Eduardo Li, were led out of the Baur au Lac hotel on Wednesday. Mr. Li was set to join FIFA’s powerful executive committee this weekend.

Speaking at the opening ceremony of the annual congress of the members of FIFA, the governing body, Mr. Blatter initially struck a somber tone after the arrest of several top soccer officials during a dawn raid at a luxury hotel here on Wednesday. Mr. Blatter, who was not directly implicated in the indictment from the United States Department of Justice (which is seeking extradition of the executives detained on their request) or a separate investigation announced by Swiss authorities, said he knew that many soccer observers “hold me ultimately responsible for the actions and reputation of the global football community, whether it’s the destination of the hosting of a World Cup or a corruption scandal.”

Reply #109
What the fuck Americans sending international arrest orders against football? Do they even play it?
It will be like Strauss Kahn, some American prostitute trap used to interfere in international order.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #110
Some local news reports suggested that the arrests took far too long because the suspects were all writhing on the ground pretending to be injured.

Reply #111
Yes they play it Belfrager kind of but like everything else they do they think the usual boasting is sufficent!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #112
In the last world cup, the USA advanced past the first stage.
Portugal did not. :right:

Reply #113
Well Blatter got re-elected which sets him up to complete 20 years in charge of FIFA.

Now, is the ***t about to hit the fan?

OK. UEFA, let's see what you've got (they have a meeting tomorrow (.I think)

edit: Correction - the meeting is not this Saturday it is "next week" - see here

Reply #115
The London Times has been one of the most active media sources in the struggle to bring evidence of corruption to light in the FIFA/World Cup/Blatter saga. They amassed a large dossier identifying issues that needed investigation but were not successful in getting FIFA to gaze inwards at their own corruption. Such inputs were, it seems,  deemed "too late", or "biassed" or simply ignored.

But the Times data has been passed to the FBI and at last there seems to be the prospect of the whole business being brought to a head.

I don't normally buy the Times (it costs 4 or 5 € here in Majorca (my mind tends to black out unpleasant things!)) but yesterday, I bought the Sunday edition where they had some 6 large pages all about FIFA. I searched to see if there was a "killer" fact.

I didn't find one, but there were some promising remarks.

The view was that the FBI investigation was making good progress. Some 14 People have been arrested, including a couple of FIFA Vice Presidents (1 past,  1 present) and more information is being unearthed. The USA deems any criminal activity related to its currency as a Crime in America and this forms the legal basis for it's investigation and justification for arresting/deporting people from anywhere. This would normally be viewed as high handed, but I'll swallow it in this case.

The US also has the facility for "plea bargaining" where a criminal can get a lighter sentence of he helps the court, for example giving evidence against other criminals. This seems to be a major factor in the FIFA prosecutions and likely to gather pace. Chuck Blazer, the American head of the N.American Football grouping, is reputed to have taken bribes and to be availing himself of this arrangement. Walker, an ex FIFA Vice President has indicated he might be amenable to "spilling the beans".

In Switzerland, investigations are ongoing on the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, and the Swiss Press is apparently starting to fulminate against Blatter, a Swiss Citizen. It has been reported that he will be questioned by police although there has been no credible claims yet that he has taken bribes, only that all this happened on his watch and thus he should go.

UEFA have their next meeting on this Friday to decide what to do, and there is a rumor that they will consider a competing competition put forward by the Danish delegate.

All that is probably  more than enough for now, but I can recommend a very good article: Fifa corruption: The 161-page dossier exposing the organisation's dark heart

Reply #117
Blatter is innocent, and if you don't believe me, look at this bit from The New York Times.

The embattled Sepp Blatter struck a familiarly defiant tone as he began his fifth term as president of FIFA, blaming others for the widespread corruption scandal that has engulfed international soccer.
Mr. Blatter told reporters late on Friday and on Saturday that the United States authorities chose last week to make a raid in Zurich as an attempt to stop him from being re-elected as the head of FIFA, soccer’s world governing body.

Mr. Blatter also said the arrests of 14 soccer and marketing officials had stemmed from resentment by England and the United States, which failed in bids to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
He also suggested that the United States authorities acted because of American political support for Jordan, the country of Mr. Blatter’s rival in Friday’s FIFA election, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein.
When FIFA has been confronted with charges of corruption, Mr. Blatter has often blamed larger nations to shore up his support among smaller, less developed countries.

The timing of the raid was not a coincidence, Mr. Blatter told RTS, saying, “The Americans, if they have a financial crime that regards American citizens, then they must arrest these people there and not in Zurich when we have a congress.”
On Saturday, Mr. Blatter said at a news conference that he did not believe he would be arrested and denied that he was the unnamed FIFA official accused in Wednesday’s indictments of offering a $10 million bribe in an attempt to influence the vote for the 2010 World Cup.
“I have especially no concerns about my person,” Mr. Blatter said.

You might take a look at John Oliver's assessment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qr6ar3xJL_Q
This is getting better and better. When The Onion gets in, madness can't be far behind.
http://www.theonion.com/article/fifa-assures-fans-investigation-wont-affect-2022-q-50536
From The Onion piece...
“Regardless of this ongoing probe, our officials are committed to accepting bribes in exchange for FIFA media and marketing rights, redirecting construction funds to personal expense accounts, and offering lavish gifts to Qatari political ministers in order to sidestep government regulations exactly as originally planned. These accusations of wrongdoing will not be a distraction as we prepare for what we all hope will be the greatest FIFA slush fund yet.”

And there's the clip from The Simpsons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UIj4c7dJsQ8

Reply #118
At last!

Blatter is resigning
Sepp Blatter says he will resign as president of football's governing body Fifa amid a corruption scandal.

In announcing his exit, the 79-year-old has called an extraordinary Fifa congress "as soon as possible" to elect a new president.

Blatter was re-elected last week, despite seven top Fifa officials being arrested two days before the vote as part of a US prosecution.

But he said: "My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody."

Reply #119
"My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody."

Obviously, the man is a genius. He's done something for the good of world football.

Reply #120
Yes, but in a very awkward way. Apparently the earliest that a new election can be held is in December, but it could be as late as March next year.

So even in resignation he is going to f**k things up!

In the meantime I understand he will be going ahead with some of the reforms he has been aching to do all these years.

Well it takes a long time to shred documents.

The right thing to do would be to ask the (ex) Vice President (who resigned earlier, refusing to serve under Blatter) to reconsider his resignation and hand over the reins to him as an interim President.

Reply #121
A local columnist described him as a man with a name like an anagram.

Reply #122
FIFA seems to be imploding with the potential body count of arrests seemingly increasing daily.

Fifa crisis: Jack Warner 'to reveal all despite fears'.

Jack Warner was a former Vice President of FIFA who is on the "Red List" (those for whom a warrant is out for arrest (he is on bail at the moment) and is probably going to be extradited to the US. He has been seriously compromised for years and this comes as no surprise.

He seems to be a bit of a drama queen. When he left FIFA some years back he was full of threats about telling all about other people and it seems this has now re-surfaced in his recent statements. Whether he is a reliable witness is open to opinion. As you will see from the link he is now implicating Blatter in a bribery scandal. That comes as a bit of a surprise to me, I have not been assuming that Blatter had committed crimes, just that he was blind to them.

Incidentally, the day after Blatter's statement of intent that he would resign, an English Newspaper had a pithy headline:

Blatts all Folks !!

Reply #123
From the New York Times...

LONDON — Jack Warner, the former FIFA vice president who was among 14 people indicted by the United States last week as part of an inquiry into corruption in world soccer, says d he knows why the organization’s president, Sepp Blatter, announced plans to step down from soccer’s governing body.
“Blatter knows why he fell. And if anyone else knows, I do,” Mr. Warner said in his home country of Trinidad and Tobago on Wednesday, referring to Mr. Blatter’s decision this week to resign after 17 years at the helm of FIFA, soccer’s governing body. Mr. Warner, who said he feared for his own life, also said he had evidence linking FIFA to his country’s 2010 election.
Mr. Warner was once a close ally of Chuck Blazer, the former general secretary of Concacaf, the governing body that oversees soccer in North America, Central America and the Caribbean. Mr. Blazer has admitted taking bribes from bidders seeking to host the 1998 and 2010 World Cups and is now cooperating with the American authorities. On Wednesday, a judge in New York ordered the release of a redacted version of his plea hearing in 2013

Reply #124
The problem with someone like Warner is that he's capable of lying and does so very well. Blatter may well be guilty but I wouldn't rely on the unsubstantiated word of Warner who will do anything to cover his own ass.