- allow to configure SSL ciphers priorities;
- allow to compile using Qt stack available in Ubuntu (outdated QtWebKit);
- various minor fixes and improvements.

https://github.com/Emdek/otter/blob/master/CHANGELOG

:o
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Re: Otter 0.9.01?

Reply #1
Whence that version number? Will beta be numbered 1.0?

Reply #2
@jasonliul, it's not official yet, I'll add some entries there. ;-)

@ersi, nope, next beta releases (there will be at least three in total) will increase last part of version number (so it will be: 0.9.02, 0.9.03 etc.).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #3
This means gift for children, today's june 1st.
:psmurf:
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Reply #4
@jasonliul, yes, kind of, nothing big, but big enough to show up there. ;-)

Reply #5
 :cheers:

You've update windows build 5/28, without mention?
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Re: Otter 0.9.01

Reply #6
OK, now it's official, packages are being uploaded right now, thanks to all who helped with this release. :-)

@jasonliul, nope, latest weekly stays unmodified.

Reply #7
This is really excellent, thank you.

Just two observations. At installation, a warning is showed saying that the package is of “bad quality” and ask to send those informations to the developer. The rest of the installation works normally.

Also, at least at Xubuntu 14.04, the system doest not recognize Otter as a web browser, so if you click in a link in Skype, for example, a error message will appear.

Reply #8
In Arch/Manjaro, this release came first packaged one way, then some time later there was an "update" which is the same browser version. I guess the package maintainer missed something the first time. Probably otter-browser.desktop translations were added, because, if I remember correctly, I didn't see the app name in my locale the first time, but it is in my locale now.

This release fixes an issue I had in Openbox desktop, namely a slightly off-centre position when the app is started maximised. Thanks for this. Oddly, the first startup after the update gave a fairly small geometry, but after this first launch the app remembers its size and position again over restarts. I suppose this was intended/necessary.

And the logo is, well, there. How should I describe it... Unmistakably unique. The app is recognisable from now on. Thanks for this too.

Reply #9

OK, now it's official, packages are being uploaded right now, thanks to all who helped with this release. :-)

@jasonliul, nope, latest weekly stays unmodified.

Ah, updated, now otter has its icon.
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Reply #10
@Rômulo, thanks for report, deb packages are generated by CMake, first warning might be out of my scope but second should be fixable (probably it's just missing variable in CMakeLists.txt).
About that issue in Xubuntu, that's odd, how exactly looks that error message (screenshot would be best)?

@ersi, probably missing translation files, and yes, desktop file was updated for beta (maybe someone knows how to automate this?).
Initial size should around 640 x 480 pixels, I've changed way how geometry is stored and restored, it also fixes issues under Windows 7.

Unmistakably unique.

:-D

Reply #11
I have no menu bar [Alt key] nor Bookmarks access key function.  No access letters are underlined.  Should that be? 

Reply #12
@rhubarbpieguy, "no menu bar [Alt key] "? What do you mean exactly?
I guess that we will need to force access letters, using & to mark them.

Bookmarks access key function

Do you mean that dialog for opening bookmark by keyword? It should be added soon.

Reply #13

About that issue in Xubuntu, that's odd, how exactly looks that error message (screenshot would be best)?

Well, Otter is not automatically recognized as a Internet Browser, so I can't select it as my primary browser, because it is not even showed in the list ( I believe it can be done with some command, but would be interesting if this were automatic showed as a option, such as Firefox, Opera and others)

So, if Otter is the only browser in the system, when you try to open a link this is the error message:

Reply #14

@rhubarbpieguy, "no menu bar [Alt key] "? What do you mean exactly?
I guess that we will need to force access letters, using & to mark them.

As an example, I can't enter [Alt F] to bring up the File menu.  File is just File in Otter, Edit is just Edit, etc.  I can click on File and the menu appears, but I can't [Alt F] or use the Alt key with any letter.

Bookmarks access key function

Do you mean that dialog for opening bookmark by keyword? It should be added soon.

I'm uncertain it's a dialog, but it's the same as above.  I have no underlined letter.  I just added IBM as my only bookmark.  It shows, but should appear as IBM and I should be able to hit "I" as an access key to open the bookmark.  It displays as IBM and "I" does nothing.  I was quite pleased to see in the release notes that bookmark functions are improved.  Perhaps this hasn't yet been added to the UI.

Reply #15
Seems to be unambiguous bug/regression: Sourceforge downloads don't offer a filename. Sourceforge has a delay when you want to download something. Then the prompt pops up asking where to save. The prompt used to contain the file-name, but not any more.

I verified with other browsers. They still offer the file-name, so there's no change on Sourceforge's side.

Reply #16
@Rômulo, thanks for details.
It seems that something might be missing in desktop file (most probably) or CMakeLists.txt, but I have no idea what...

@rhubarbpieguy, yes, it's known.
In case of bookmarks there was some discussion elsewhere which concluded that it could be a good idea to somehow let user to specify which letter it should be.

@ersi, thanks, we will investigate it, it would be best to report it on github.
There was change recently that touched code responsible for extracting filename.

Reply #17
In case of bookmarks there was some discussion elsewhere which concluded that it could be a good idea to somehow let user to specify which letter it should be.

And that we Opera users are also used to specifying such things through menu.ini. ;)

Reply #18

Yes, I started that thread.  I thought the letter would be automatically assigned, but through properties, a user could change or make permanent the letter.  That would eliminate the need to manually edit menu.ini.  However, I realize that may be more complicated than I realize and there are many ways to do things.

Reply #19
@Frenzie, @rhubarbpieguy, if it would be separate property then it could be set manually in XBEL file.
But we could also go for some kind of marker (but that's less obvious and more "magic", in bad way).

Yes, I started that thread.

Oops, sorry. :-)

Reply #20

@Frenzie, @rhubarbpieguy, if it would be separate property then it could be set manually in XBEL file.
But we could also go for some kind of marker (but that's less obvious and more "magic", in bad way).

I don't understand manually setting files as I currently manually edit my menu.ini file.  New bookmark properties could make that unnecessary.  By right-clicking a bookmark's properties, two new options, perhaps "Specificy Letter" and "Make Letter Persistent" would appear.  A user could optionally determine which access key letter he wants for a bookmark and if he wants that letter to not change when new bookmarks are added.

But perhaps I don't understand what you're saying and again, I'm certain it's more complicated than I realize.  It's rather easy for me to suggest "do this" or "do that."

The thing I do feel rather strongly about is wasting letters on Bookmark Page... and Manage Bookmarks...  I understand why Opera specifies a letter currently as it's inertia.  Menu options always specificy hot keys.  But by wasting letters on Bookmark Page... and Manage Bookmarks... Opera shoots itself in both feet with a high-caliber weapon.

Reply #21
@rhubarbpieguy, I guess that best option would be to add new filed in properties, possibly next to keyword (in the same row).

Reply #24
@jasonliul, thanks, I've read article about new vulnerabilities but it was missing information about new release.

And now I've added information about loaded SSL library in about dialog (along version of default web backend), it could be useful. ;-)