Skip to main content
Topic: Fifteen Nationalists going off! (Read 728 times)

Fifteen Nationalists going off!

The Scottish Parliament election is due next year but the SNP started getting MSPs not going to continue standing and slowly crept up over en now it is up to 15!  :happy:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Fifteen Nationalists going off!

Reply #1
An MSP is a Member of the Scottish Parliament?

Reply #2
An MSP is a Member of the Scottish Parliament?

Yes.

Majority of them are stepping down as they will be well into their 70's before before they can retire. They can't retire mid-term (which I wasn't aware of until recently), so they have to commit to another 5 years.  Good luck to them going now to hopefully enjoy their twilight years. A couple of younger ones are going because of family commitments or health reasons.

There's plenty of young replacements coming through,
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #3
They can't retire mid-term
There's always the option of dying in office... More than a few of our Congress critters have taken that route. I'm generally against it, preferring citizen legislators. (Cincinnatus was an inspiration to many, including Geo. Washington...) One exception I'd maintain is John Quincy Adams. He'd served in the legislature, become president (he didn't do the job well...), and wasn't reelected; so he returned to the House of Representatives, where he remained until he died, even doing some good there! -- I mean, in the House; not in Death... :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #4
There's always the option of dying in office..

Yeah! but that's a bit extreme though.  :)
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #5
that's a bit extreme
Nonsense, lad! In some districts it's a tradition... (And who ever heard of an extreme tradition? :) Well, maybe cannibalism; perhaps revolution.)
进行 ...

Reply #6
Nonsense, lad! In some districts it's a tradition.

Well if it's a tradition can we nominate people? I can think of sixty MSP's I'd like o put forward for consideration.   ;)

Reply #7
I have never truly wished a politician dead... But I shed no tears over Ted Kennedy or John McCain, who -oddly enough- both died of brain cancer. Most other pols I detest (Schiff, Nadler, Pelosi, Waters...the list could easily be extended) don't actually have brains, so, that malady wouldn't suffice. :(
进行 ...