Skip to main content
Topic: Why people don't have sense of humour? (Read 16505 times)

Why people don't have sense of humour?

Starting with DnD posters.

Not all of them, a few ones still resists to the monotony of globalization. The rest don't.
A matter of attitude.

Re: Why people don't have sense of humour?

Reply #1
In contesting the thread title, I have a sense of humour and that is why I am here!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #2
Seems more a lover's quarrel than topic? :-*

Reply #3
aint nobody will have sense of humour if they are unhealthy .

Physically or mentally .

sometimes -- mens sana in corpore sano , seems legit

Reply #5
I have never met anyone who doesn't believe he has a sense of humour.
Some of us are deluded.

Reply #6

Starting with DnD posters.

Not all of them, a few ones still resists to the monotony of globalization. The rest don't.

Because they are cantankerous old farts?    /s   :left:

Reply #8
I don't think health is the answer at all. Goodness, even creeps like Hitler and Stalin had a sense of humour. So too does that pain in the White House.

Reply #9
Hormonal and Chemical  imbalance  in Brain
can make people have difficulty with  Perception .

for some reason ,  they will become -- haters .

once you hate someone , everything they do is offensive .

even if they just crack some jokes  .

well,

not sure too about that .

but for sure , humor is good for mental health

Reply #11
Racist, as usual.  :furious:

Reply #14
I think the word 'hate' has become too casually accepted by those to whom it is easy to influence.

Reply #17
Freud once famously said, "A cigar may just be a cigar, but a joke is never just a joke.".  For example, an older person who laughs and tells jokes about dementia and deafness may be unaware of his underlying anxiety over such things.  Laughing and joking about getting older may be a way to release pent up anxiety and therefore it is a good thing to have a sense of humor about all aspects of life--good and bad.  (Do people who constantly tell racist, sexist, ethnic, etc. jokes have anxiety about being over run by others?  Natch). 

Life is full of absurdities and farces, if we can't see them for what they are and make light of them then we could certainly drive ourselves quite mad.  Some people think they are above having a sense of humor or joking about anything because it demeans their awesome intellect; they see a sense of humor as being childlike and irrational (we really must pity these poor souls--such as Ersi). 

IF there were a God, he would have to have the greatest sense of humor ever!  He would likely come up to me and say "Gotcha!", and then sit down with me and have a few laughs about it all while we chased a few Tequila shooters with beer. 
James J

Reply #18
Some people think they are above having a sense of humor or joking about anything because it demeans their awesome intellect; they see a sense of humor as being childlike and irrational (we really must pity these poor souls--such as Ersi).

Hard to classify all joking in one context. Surely a joke can be just a joke, or childish or spot on. A bit unfair to exclude someone because their humor doesn't resonate well with you.

In any case you're reaching beyond your own advice. Smile :)

Reply #19
A bit unfair to exclude someone because their humor doesn't resonate well with you.

I see it in a completely different way and it is no fun at all nor it was intended to be. I refer to the quote you made from the other poster.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #20
I refer to the quote you made from the other poster.

Regardless of their intent it's only demeaning to you if you take it that way, at first. Humor is no different. I can't fault someone for laughing at slapstick antics even if the source is me busting my ass and I am not amused. By the same regard you can't fault me if I'm not amused. Continuing to jeer on after the reaction wouldn't be humor anymore despite any joy derived. So really, if we're going Freudian, seems insecurities are to blame.  

Reply #21
Hard to classify all joking in one context. Surely a joke can be just a joke, or childish or spot on. A bit unfair to exclude someone because their humor doesn't resonate well with you.

First of all, most humor (from slapstick to sarcasm), resonates with me.  I was merely referring to people who lead humorless lives and are quite austere with every aspect of life.  One who takes this life (with all it's twists and quirks), too seriously misses out on much of what life is about.  If life can't be enjoyed and shared with others in a cheerful manner for the brief time we are sentient in this universe then I believe one has wasted much of that one and only brief moment.  Life is fleeting--then it is over and there is no more...(no joke). 
James J

Reply #22
First of all, most humor (from slapstick to sarcasm), resonates with me.  I was merely referring to people who lead humorless lives and are quite austere with every aspect of life.  If life can't be enjoyed to the fullest for the brief time we are sentient in this universe then one has wasted that one and only brief moment.  Life is fleeting--then it is over and there is no more (no joke).

You just tripped over the point, cut a flip over drastic generalization and fell face first into the obvious. I am not amused in the slightest. How you take that and how you feel about these "people" are up to you.

Reply #23
I am not amused in the slightest. How you take that and how you feel about these "people" are up to you.

What gives you the audacity to think that I give a rat's ass about your amusement? 
James J

Reply #24
Humour is as inexplicable and divisive as religion.