Skip to main content
Topic: The awesome word..... (Read 5748 times)

The awesome word.....

We all live in different places but often certain words used often can become very prominent amongst us all. For some time now I have noticed that the word "awesome" comes so easily to describing something from Americans especially. It even happens on forums for my hobby, train simulation. Routes are immediately awesome and so on. This even when something is only at embryonic stage. What made me laugh the other day was when my brother was on the phone and we were chatting about world issues and the US place in them and he commented on the same word! There are generalities like in interviews and even competent people will say repeatedly "you know or "at the end of the day" but awesome is a seemingly focus word in th ex-clones and will eventually be exported and become universal?!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: The awesome word.....

Reply #1
I don't thin awesome is used a commonly in America still as you might think. But words and phrases come and go out of style in all countries.

Of course, Nevada was never a colony and being "Battle Born" we wouldn't stand for anyone even attempting to call us that.  We'd have no choice but to retaliate by sending our women until the poor British couldn't stand it anymore. Mayor Goodman once said "Our women are approximately 56.7292 percent hotter than the British women, using round numbers." Governor Sandoval disagreed, citing a figure of 59.768 percent, based on his calculations of our women's awesome looks. Either way, British men would would be incapacitated by our women's beauty if they continue to insist we were a colony.  Your defeat would be humiliating for you, but awesome for us. You have been warned.

Reply #2
I actually had an English teacher that would agree with you, Rj. Some jazz about how the usage of awesome was degrading the meaning of what it was to be filled with awe. It seemed like a petty complaint then, and now.

But at the of the end of the day, you know, it's just a word. If you can't play nice you need to put your trains away. How awesome is that?

Reply #3
Of course it will be exported.

Culturally-speaking, our influence is like steel.

Also, glad to see that your obsession with our great country extends to IRL as well.  :left:    :yes:

Reply #6
Then tries to claim only Europe is "civilized".

Only civilized places collapsing are important, isn't it? The rest can well collapse that no one minds... /s
A matter of attitude.

Reply #7

Then tries to claim only Europe is "civilized".

Only civilized places collapsing are important, isn't it? The rest can well collapse that no one minds... /s

If you are trying to turn this into a regional debate................well played Sir, as it will no doubt rustle Mr. Howie's jimmies.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4[/video]

Reply #8
Your country is steel Colonel - eh? You have been watching too much Hollywood. As for that awesome word when it comes up in my train sim forum it is always Americans who are the users. Of course it gets exported like much else that is negative. Awesome as a word is fine used properly for the outstanding but used to cover even something routine is daft. Hey, maybe that bright spark in the White House has been listening to you Southern laddie because when speaking at West Point he finished by saying you had the greatest army in the world ( :rolleyes:). So even he is believing you now. Meantime, I do wish people would use the word as intended and not just for the routine.

Reply #9
As for that awesome word when it comes up in my train sim forum it is always Americans who are the users. Of course it gets exported like much else that is negative. Awesome as a word is fine used properly for the outstanding but used to cover even something routine is daft.

Brilliant! :rolleyes:  

Reply #10
Accepted!  :D

Reply #11

Your country is steel Colonel - eh? You have been watching too much Hollywood. As for that awesome word when it comes up in my train sim forum it is always Americans who are the users. Of course it gets exported like much else that is negative. Awesome as a word is fine used properly for the outstanding but used to cover even something routine is daft. Hey, maybe that bright spark in the White House has been listening to you Southern laddie because when speaking at West Point he finished by saying you had the greatest army in the world ( :rolleyes:). So even he is believing you now. Meantime, I do wish people would use the word as intended and not just for the routine.

1. Yes, our cultural influence is that of steel. No one else comes close these days. The Beatles made for a fantastic farewell tour to British cultural influence, when it was still, steel, but that time is over. Now it's would you rather be a pawn for Czar Putin, a puppet of the state for China, or do as you will as an 'Murican, who may occasionally pay homage to the ancient motherland for a quick view of the Queen.   :devil: :yes: :headbang:

2. Well, it has been stated numerous times that I am a charismatic and locally influential person, so maybe Obama did?  :o :lol:

Reply #12
There is nothing steel about the ex-colonies at all. So often you see folk over there wearing their heart on the sleeve instead of a good bit of stiff upper lip. When a President goes to see troops in Afghanistan the uniformed whoop and whistle like children. A bit like civilians trying to look like soldiers. Indeed the fanatical mawkish over confirms is endemic and so juvenile. We can accept any country recognising their military but the way it goes on over the pond is bordering on the childish. The only steel over there is from the corporates who run the place because elections are just sweeties given to the people to keep them content. Neither Reps or Dems are  proper political parties but the front men for Wall Street and the money barons. Having stolen most of the world and bullied nations into the hand of your corporates you have now stolen the word 'steel. Tut, tut there is no end to the arrogance built in from being in nappies onwards. Flags everywhere except in the lavatory (so far).

As for words one word we can all share is 'absolutely' which is anther word too overused all over the world. And finally let us throw in 'at the end of the day.' But I am willing to concede dear naughty boy that your country wins on 'awesome'........

Reply #13
I have no doubt that Americans on the train forum overuse the word "awesome." However, it's not used like you seem to think it is anymore.
There's plenty of other overused words and phrases, such as "at the end of the day" and "artisan" food products that are mass-produced by the millions. A hetrosexual friendship between two guys is suddenly a "bromance." "To be honest" or "Honestly" is a clue that something a person is saying isn't true.

Reply #14
Oh dear. It seems like a certain Union man is a little out-of-joint because the USA is doing what the UK used to do. And would do, if running a world empire didn't bankrupt it so badly.

Every empire has its day in the sun. RJ, the British Empire had its day, so please don't begrudge us ours. One day we, too, will be replaced by another empire--- nobody gets to be "King of the Hill" forever, after all.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #15
I totally agree with you mjsmsprt40 that every empire has it's day and have always accepted that. I would remind that your country in the 1930's was so envious of the British Empire it was determined to replace it. However the trouble is my Chicago friend that your political and corporate masters couldn't much care a damn for anyone they upset.  You have bases everywhere and still extending. Anyone who dares to contradict or refuse to come under the thumb will be sanctioned, surrounded, made unstable or just plain warred against. After that the corporates move in to make their money. If the country didn't go on about democracy, rights, freedoms whilst messing up in the world as well as internally  there would be less criticism. America likes to hink it is different and that it has some inspired or spiritual right to control the globe. In the process the nation is in fact on financial borrowed time. Instead of breathing it continues to be trillions in debt .

So it is a different kind of empire and does not have the traditional colonies as that would be too much bother but what it is doing in the world id not only dangerous, sanctimonious and hypocritical when you see the level of it's own poor and rights infringed, etc. To sum up it is the biggest financial empire but it's people are not making money it is the cororate barons and wealthy. It is not the USA's place to interfere but as voting is a waste of time due to the money men control one day it will all collapse. It is only a matter of time that China will overtake America and yet your country will still strain with debt to try and stay on top. The one country that you are in hock to is a Communist dictatorship! Dear, oh dear the nation has been hijacked  and your greedy Wall Streeters will continue with wars increased incomes and tell the ordinary Joes the world needs America. No it doesn't. As empires go yours is the worst kind ever so another first!

ps Hope the sun is shining in Chicago like here right now......

Reply #16

I have no doubt that Americans on the train forum overuse the word "awesome." However, it's not used like you seem to think it is anymore.

I know some people around here who do indeed overuse that word. I also know a whole bunch of people around here who mock them at every opportunity.

Reply #17
I don't know why you say the word isn't used any ore now but oh yes it is. In fact there is a television advert for M & M's think it is with as it happens with an an American accent. So it kind of overdoing it to think it just happens on train sim forums. Must admit that on the same sims unlike others around the world who indicate they are mentioning something in their country by name our American cousins just assume it's their forum! Actually I can almost understand this due to the size of the country al The next time the word comes up on one of my rail forums i amm going to raise it there as it is so dashed regular.

Reply #18
Maybe the commercial was made for British audiences, as subtle way of selling the M & M's American origin, just like British accents are sometimes used in American commercials. Anyway, this isn't saying the word isn't used anymore; just not as much as you seem to think it is. It's more of a 1990's word.  I'll sometimes use it sarcastically at work, though. Picked up that habit from the boss :p

A more commonly over used word is "hella."    Person 1: It's hot today.  Person 2: Hella!   (meaning "very" not "hot has hell" )

Reply #19
You'll just love when they start saying "Imma" on the forums. It means "I'm going to.:  Ie, "Imma build (insert 'awesome' thing) !!1111!!1"  And start leaving out auxiliary verbs, ie "Why you (something) " instead of "Why did you do that?"

Reply #20
Well, the late Donald Dewar who was the very first, ehrm, First Minister of Scotland always got up my nose as i didn't have much time for him. Every time he spoke somewhere, appeared on televison, etc, he would constantly he would say every few seconds "uuuumah" and you got it constantly every few seconds. Damn irritating. It was worse than for a Glaswegian getting stuck in Edinburgh.

Reply #21
Mr. Howie, in this thread:

Reply #22
And can still give a good run for the money. Next month I am speaking at a rally in a park so eat your heart out laddie. I do feel for you as no doubt you will never have had the influence I have had but there again I live not in the land of nutjobs so a bit easier all round.

As for that damn awesome word it keeps coming up on programmes with an American bent. For goodness sake even on my railway simulator forums the ex-colonists describing some route build will use the boring expression.