Skip to main content
Topic: Why do we constantly need news?? (Read 754 times)

Why do we constantly need news??

Years ago news was more spaced out but in modern times gradually moved into 24 hours which is a groan.  A routine utterly daft thing is when the announcer says they will now speak to their reporter outside of No 10 Downing Street or say outside a Ministry Office. More ridiculous is when they say they are going to hear from a tv person at No 10 who is just there standing in the street with the door as a background yakking away! Along with that is getting a word from a reporter late at night in the dark making a comment outside a Ministry building and nobody about. Bonkers and treating us like idiots.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Why do we constantly need news??

Reply #1
Simple answer: course we don't.
The same way we don't need any of the things people are constantly pushed to buy.

I suppose that we are still allowed to ask why but it will not be for long. To justify it's considered something of the past at the post modernist consumerist society. Reasons are no good for the simple-minded.

Conform. Consume. Obey.  :alien:

A matter of attitude.

Reply #2
When I see the numbers who work in the BBC for example it is head shaking. That lot are now looking at demolishing their standard telext news columns for the UK and the 4 countries that make up this country. Much of the news is a damnable drag and the nonsense of a reporter standing outside No 10 Downing St or a Ministry while it is sut is almost stupid!

Reply #3
Simple answer: course we don't.

The simple answer is usually the best one. In this case, it's undeniably so.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #4
Still do not think we need tv news constantly and becomes a bore or they drag on and on over the same things. I must say I get niggled very much when a damn tv reporter is sent to stand outside No 10 Downing Street or a government ministry building late at night when the places are routinely shut.

Reply #5
Just shut the damned thing off, RJ. (In the good old days, I'd tell to hobble over to the set and turn all the knobs counterclockwise as far as they'll go... Then make your way back to your chair and -for God's sake- read a book! Any book... Even a girly magazine might be of some use.) Are you daft, man? You don't have to watch!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #6
This thread reminds me of a famous pop song from '82, although it's about TV in general and not just about the news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIOOiGDNFE

hé er is geen bal op de teevee
alleen een film met Doris Day
en wat dacht je van net twee
eine Wiener operette nee
er zit een knop op je tv
die helpt je zo uit de puree
druk hem in en ga maar mee
de bloemen buiten zetten

Hey, there's nothing on TV
only a movie with Doris Day.
And what about channel two
eine Wiener operette, nay!
There's a button on your TV
it'll help you with your trouble. (lit. it'll help you out of the mash)
Push it and come along
to paint the town red. (lit. putting out the flowers)

Reply #7
Of course you are correct Oakdale I do not have to watch what passes for news nowadays however must also say that far too many people are brained into the "news" and get control freakery.