Skip to main content
Topic: Time boaters stopped getting into the UK - a farce (Read 2313 times)

Re: Time boaters stopped getting into the UK - a farce

Reply #25
Great Britain cannot just dashed well just keep having a growing population when one looks at the size of this island for goodness sake. The rise has been caused over decades by those coming in having larger families and we dish out more money in welfare, etc.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #26
There are power balances in every community, ever-present, ever-shifting. Any external change, be it technological, demographic or economic, can upset the equilibrium at a sensitive time. But any sensitive equilibrium will shift eventually, hopefully to something more stable.

Migration was extra disrupting back when humanity was farmers and new arrivals meant more competition over the same limited resource, land. Now the machines have taken over the countryside, as was their birthright, leaving humans to inhabit the enclosures made specially for them.

Anyway, new migration (be it immigration or emigration) is always disruptive, it shifts the equilibrium, and that disruption in itself is a cost.  There is no guarantee that the new equilibrium will be "better". But we are a creative, adaptive, social species. Things can quickly get worse, but far more typical in history it gradually gets a little better, a little better, a little worse, a little better.

If there is no political advantage in reheating conflicts, they gradually resolve. A historically deadly conflict in Europe was Protestant v Catholic (and sometimes even more narrow). As a religious conflict it is largely resolved (except a handful strange men in obscure forums), as a cultural/identity conflict it still has some juice, but not to kill for. So what happens when someone outside wanders into a stuck conflict? Some hindus perhaps between catholics and protestants, or English-speakers between Russian-speakers and Estonian-speakers? More often than not they may defuse the situation, but they may also end up the scapegoat for whatever group that believes themselves to be in the ascendancy.

Reply #27
Ah! That's the jax I remember! A wise and calming (and erudite and educated) voice moderating the sometimes heated discussions among the only group of misfits on the web whose company I've (mostly :) ) enjoyed...
And one of the few who often starts interesting threads that frustrate the contentious nature of most of us! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #28
Oh, there is a little bit of bait in there too.

Reply #29
...oh, yeah: I forgot to mention wit! :)
进行 ...

Reply #30
Things can quickly get worse, but far more typical in history it gradually gets a little better, a little better, a little worse, a little better.
A little better, a little better... until the final disgrace.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #31
You are drifting jax so do be tempted to get a grip ! This wee country has tens of millions more than when I was born and will soon go over 70 damn million and NOT STOP there. We cannot keep having this nonsense and all the extra cost it involves. When the turn of the century passes 100 million this country will be for goodness sake be finished and be a hellhole and possibly violent.

Reply #32
[...] and possibly violent.
Since that's never happened before, perhaps you'all should hire and train an adequate police force! In the meantime, cheer yourself by reading Ehrlich's Population Bomb... :)
进行 ...

Reply #33
You gave me a laugh there Yankee man as competent police standard here but not where you live!

Meantime another single  day with 400 damn folk getting here. Hell is getting nearer all the time moving towards a 70 million population and as I said a hundred million by the end of this century. All hell coming is going to be inherent. I will offer my services as a voted in Dictator....... :irked:

Reply #34
You gave me a laugh there Yankee man as competent police standard here but not where you live!
Our Sheriffs Department (Stanislaus County) and municipal PD (Modesto) are rated two of the best in the country, boy-o!
The central valley is quite a different animal than the Bay Area, Sacramento and Los Angeles...
进行 ...

Reply #35
Well you are fortunate there OakdaleFTL so a lucky Yank! (well done!). A while ago I mentioned that a US police officials visited over here and in the Scottish part of the Kingdom went to the police training college and were most impressed by the place. Twice on tv I have seen a retired police captain from Philadelphia speak and he was very critical of many who get into the police in America.