Skip to main content
Topic: Black lives matter has a farce about it (Read 900 times)

Re: Black lives matter has a farce about it

Reply #1
Sort of, it asks for payment and I'm not quite interested enough to pay right now. :)

However, the opening lines don't sound too promising. How many people happen to die is hardly the point. People dying is (hopefully) an anomaly.

https://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7366&context=jclc
https://www.sentencingproject.org/publications/un-report-on-racial-disparities/

Relative to whites, blacks and Hispanics seem to have very different interactions with law enforcement—interactions that are consistent with, though definitely not proof of, some form of discrimination. Including myriad controls designed to account for civilian demographics, encounter characteristics, civilian behavior, eventual outcomes of interaction and year reduces, but cannot eliminate, racial differences in non-lethal use of force in either of the datasets analyzed.

Strikingly, both the black and Hispanic coefficients are statistically similar across […] income levels—suggesting that higher income minorities do not price themselves out of police use of force.

The bigger problem may not actually be the systemic racism itself, but rather the propensity to violence exhibited by American police. Police here normally deescalates, while police in America can use all manner of excessive violence or even shoot if there's a "reasonable" threat. "We have a society where it’s often considered reasonable to take a black person reaching into their waistband as a threat. The whole legal framework for determining whether lethal force is legal or not is premised on a flawed assumption that officers can determine what is reasonable."

But even so, assuming you fix the corruption and the violence, stopping minorities without any clear motive is at best a waste of tax dollars and a nuisance to those people. Splitting hairs over systemic racism vs propensity to violence sounds more like a way to avoid addressing either one.

Reply #2
the propensity to violence exhibited by American police
Maybe they're trained that way. Maybe not acting that way is interpreted as a mediocre performance so they don't get promoted, that kind of thing,  I don't know.

I've never been at the States but I lived a few years in South America and they are an incredible violent society judging by European standards. I see no reason for their Northern neighbors to be different.

I hear that Canada seems to be much more European like. Probably virtues of speaking French.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #3
I've never been at the States but I lived a few years in South America and they are an incredible violent society judging by European standards. I see no reason for their Northern neighbors to be different.
United States is frankly a third world country that is just so full of itself in international diplomacy that EU powers unfortunately think they have to look *up* to USA rather than down. USA commerce is married to the military, so peace unfortunately cannot win when dealing with the USA.

I have been to Costa Rica, expecting another third world dump, but my expectations were not confirmed - no beggars, no poverty or dirt on the streets, no pushy hustlers... A complete contrast to USA.

I hear that Canada seems to be much more European like. Probably virtues of speaking French.
Maybe it's the snow.

Reply #4
Would say that ersi does have a correct thought on the practicality of America and as a country it is a farce.  It does not matter whether Republican or Democrats run the thing the heavy faults are there under both! That includes the over 40,000,000 on food stamps and poverty over 2,000,000 in jail, no proper welfare State, people on death row for years which is a disgrace. The country also sticks it's damnable nose in everywhere and half the world military expense is from the USA!

When it comes to race it has been a mess forever. It's first President that Washington man was like others in his corner a racist so too was Lincoln. Blacks who got to fight for the US against the Confederates in the Civil War got virtually damn all out of that and even in the north right up to the 1960's sod all! General Robert E Le of the Confederates even came out during that war to tell black people in the South who came to fight for it would be immediately free!

The proportion of coloureds in the crime side of things is notable and head shaking regarding who spread it is whether some "balanced" people talk rubbish about. Although here in Gt Britain a different history of things places like London have a black crime problem and I watched a woman from the association inside the Met Police in a tv programme dancing away from what the stats are showing about the black imbalance.

What has happened in America since it was created by the money people has been a disgrace and all the guff about democratic values means nothing there. Right from the commencement of their breakaway at the two-faced revolution black people meant nothing. No great balance after that event and after the Civil War progress meant as I say, damn all!  Founding leaders meant nothing for coloureds nor from 1865 terrible time. Famous leaders were so two faced not just the founders of the US but that hypocritic Lincoln.  All the groaning violence going on over there is damnable and a farce by those causing it. Even where police have malfunctioned what is going on disgraceful As I said elsewhere on this forum the man they are using as a hero was a criminal with repeated arrests and jailed. Stole a weapon off the police trying to arrest him and treated as if some wonderful man?! Don't think he should have been shot by the police but the country is utterly brain cracked over gun rights. A massive military thing and big police numbers but everyone still needs to have the rights of the late seventeen hundreds??
"Quit you like men:be strong"