Skip to main content
Topic: Money dumped in vast amounts for space? (Read 7035 times)

Money dumped in vast amounts for space?

Makes me wonder why so much is spent in vast massive sums to send rockets all into the Universe and even some would-be experts musing on getting us to places like Mars. What a load of cobblers and not much real point to the general people who live on Earth.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Money dumped in vast amounts for space?

Reply #3
The main point is the vast amounts of money being pent on all this Universe guff. Not as if people have somewhere to rocket off to and anyway most places a waste f damn time. Talk about people being brained.  :down:

Reply #5
You'll be okay as you know mental health is free on the NHS.

Reply #6
So... the United Emirates beated China and USA and their space probe arrived first to Mars.

Welldone. Yes, I know it is not a race... but it is.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #7
The Chinese is timed neatly for the Spring festival. The year of the metal rat is ending, and we're now entering a metal bullish year.

Reply #8
Metal rules.  :headbang:

Reply #9
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA6ppby3JC8[/video]

Meanwhile @ SpaceX

Reply #10
Here is a more complete video of the landing. It was a blast. As it has been every time.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIZOcsu8tWk[/video]

Reply #12
The sense of deja vu is strong. I did link to my Back to the Space Age piece in another thread, but I guess a rerun is better than an also-ran. (Speaking of media nostalgia, I guess I should watch For All Mankind, but haven't gotten around to it yet.)

Reply #13
Mr Elon Musk sent a Tesla car to  space orbiting the earth, wasn't it? He thinks space to be his personal trash can vanity.
Space is not his property, as that idiot seems to think.
Hope all his rockets explode. Beautiful.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #15
The sense of deja vu is strong. I did link to my Back to the Space Age piece in another thread, but I guess a rerun is better than an also-ran. (Speaking of media nostalgia, I guess I should watch For All Mankind, but haven't gotten around to it yet.)

Incidentally:
Base orbiting Jupiter moon and Venus (or on Venus, if story written early 60s or before)
That applies to my favorite piece of Dutch sci-fi, see http://www.letterenfonds.nl/nl/boek/824/torenhoog-en-mijlen-breed

Reply #16
You really can't ask more out of the Starship Program. Just when you think you've seen it blow up all the ways, they land one on fire and then it explodes. Pretty much Kerbal Space Program irl.

Reply #17
Mr Elon Musk sent a Tesla car to  space orbiting the earth, wasn't it?

It's in orbit of the Sun. Seems like they said it passes close to Mars too, sometimes, so probably an elliptical orbit between Earth and Mars.

Reply #18
space is still a waste of time and vast money showing that too many folk have not grown up.

Reply #19
Elon Musk blows stuff up in the name of science and progress. These are good causes.

Reply #20
Spending billions on floating about space and no practical living in planets is a total waste of dashed money and shows how folk can be brained.

Reply #21
I guess I can understand your problem with governments spending, but what's your problem with how billionaires spend their money?

Reply #22
Elon Musk is hardly spending his own money. Like with every good CEO, his most important function is fundraiser. He attracts investment (i.e. creates hype) to a project and that's the money that gets spent. Government money might be among there, might not. Some of Musk's own money might be spent in projects that he really believes in, but I don't think he really believes in any of the projects he is famous for.

I watched Elon Musk's appearance on Joe Rogan show. At one point, Joe Rogan asked something like "But how did you get the licence for digging the tunnel under LA?" and Elon Musk looked at him confused, as if puzzled "Licence for digging? What's that?" He did not answer the question. He might have been already pre-confused for the entire day. It was the show when they did weed on camera.

Reply #23
 I just hope they name one Enterprise. So we can legit say The Starship Enterprise. :spock:

Edit: This last launch was lackluster, huh? I haven't got to see one blow up mid air. Missed opportunity.

Reply #24
It was the show when they did weed on camera.
And to provide silly talking-points to flat-earthers, cynical greenies, an' a certain Scot whose name we won't mention! But, ersi, riddle me this: Was the "discovery" of America less a feat and fortuitous boon because Isabella finance it? :)
To speak to your specific point: Securing the tunneling rights beneath LaLa (eh? you say!?) is a political matter. Some builders are oblivious; some are adept. (You thought Trump was the naif who got the job -candidate, then presidency- by bluster and buffoonery?
That tells me you've had too much schoolin' an' too little learning! Or -at best- the mix was too uneven, and your list is noticeable...

Thanks for recommending Aristotle on politics to me! Them Attics and others of their time (cellar hiders, maybe?) did wonders: Surely something can learned from their experience and example; some of their schemes secured peace and prosperity for nigh onto a generation!
The United States stands -at my studied urging- ready to faint, in awe... Shucks! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)