Skip to main content
Topic: Massive rise of the Russian Orthodox (Read 1089 times)

Massive rise of the Russian Orthodox

There has been a constant and vastly big rise in that Church since the collapse of the terrible USSR. Men training to be clergy and everywhere churches brought back in vast numbers with the clergy encouraged to have strong families when married. Now the latest and brand new on has the highest steeple in the country and is a military cathedral. Vast majority of the military statistically regard themselves as Orthodox nowadays. Every week several churches are added and being very much part of the country. Now the country has in the poll agreed that like the Orthodox only men and women can marry each other.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Massive rise of the Russian Orthodox

Reply #2
It's the first ever church in Russia built purely for political pomp. It doesn't have a congregation and it is not dedicated to a saint. It celebrates irreligious historical figures such as Stalin and features a display/exhibition of, among others, Nazi artefacts, possibly inducing pilgrimage of Nazi sympathisers. Controversial, to put it mildly.

Reply #3
For heaven's sake! It was NOT built as a routine church with a local congregation heavens.You are talking such a load of unintelligent rubbish The Orthodox Church was in total agreement and they also dedicated the thing for goodness sake. It is there purely form military services when appropriate so why could you not understand something that basic?? I have noted that the vast majority of the military people ARE now Orthodox.  In Yekaterinburg there is a regular church and near it a nice cathedral and that is there to mark where the old Ipatiev family mansion had been where the tragic Imperial Family were murdered.  :faint:

Reply #5
Firstly you are talking absolute nonsense and the Orthodox is NOT a State Church.

Secondly what was the point of that mention of the Imperial Family remains being found?? That was a lot of years ago so why are so so dashed slow with that for goodness sake?? They also had an official funeral and all buried except the son Alexi and they think the girl was the one just above him age-wise. So why the goodness are you years later in what was public and televised matters? ACTING RATHER WEIRD!

Reply #6
Orthodox is NOT a State Church.
From a legalistic point of view you are correct. But nothing in Russia works as a legalist would have it.

Reply #7
It has been growing back vastly and there is an Orthodox tv channel. Clergy have been interviewed elsewhere as well - many have a leaning towards having the monarchy back and even the hierarchy organised the dedication of the Romanovs as saints.  Even in the military there is a vast Orthodox leaning and the vast majority of those in it are proclaiming their faith. Churches being brought back are in hundreds a year and many men including the young applying for clergy training and the Church itself proclaims married ones are important and to have children.  In the West we have become a declined spiritual corner these days and just get leaned on regarding things and religion pushed in a corner and including on sexual matters/ Yhe Orthodox is strongly against homosexuality and increasingly so is Russia. When that stupid girls group danced and sung in a cathedral they got support from easy osey people here in the West and it is interesting that religion is a strong thing in Europe whilst here in the West we have to buckle into anything that the would-be so-called modern liberal minds want! Marriage has been pushed as a principled thing in that country and the Orthodox right into that as we as having kids. Heavy drinking was for a long time a very heavy and shocking level and even that has declined too so the country going the right way!

Have just nodded to my coloured picture on the wall which is a family one of the Romanovs!!

Reply #9
I think in general that Russia is correct not to follow the West and have it's own tradition and society.  I will only make a brief passing comment about the Orthodox strong stand on homosexuality in that I agree with it. Indeed I am moving from my own national church over having queer clergy etc. Anyway just before WW1 the US President made a statement that he foresaw at the rate things were going that Russia within 25 years would be away ahead and be one of the most powerful countries in the world. As for the Orthodox Church it has grown tremendously and Putin is indeed a very strong supporter of it. When baptised by his mother taking him to the local church. She had got a small cross to commemorate the birth and when she died Putin kept it as a personal thing. Strongly stands for the Orthodox and for Russia being independent and not going into the mish-mas that is the "West." As the largest country on the planet they are right o got the way they want and not fall into the moral mess everywhere else.