Skip to main content
Topic: The Awesomesauce of the American 2024 Presidential Elections (Read 9194 times)

The Awesomesauce of the American 2024 Presidential Elections

The election is getting closer now by the day, and we have a candidate. Who will win the election and why not? Excitement awaits.

Tucker Carlson in 2024? Republicans see a frontrunner

Re: The Awesomesauce of the American 2024 Presidential Elections

Reply #1
The main disasters and let downs in the USA essentially do not get dealt with whether Democrats or Republicans take the White House as the system is not something to admire. Oddly although I am not clapping hands for Trump it seems he did reduce unemployment and black unemployment had been reduced to 5%?
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #3
I note you like a lot of folk here in Gt Britain have got brained by Yanks. The 'awesome' word and we tend to use the words they use here routinely which I find a groan.

As for Trump I am not a fan of his yet I understand that he did make some progress in jobs and things like lowering the number of black citizens who had been unemployed?  Overall it does't matter much to be frank whether Democrats or Republicans running things as in general makes little overall damn difference!

Reply #4
What the Post-Trump Right Will Look Like

Conservative intellectuals will end up focusing on China, the internet and the left.

The upcoming U.S. election raises a question also asked the last time around: What will the intellectual right look like a few years from now? Even if President Donald Trump wins re-election, the jockeying for 2024 will begin almost immediately — and the smartest and best-informed thinkers on the right will have to decide which views and attitudes to emphasize.

Here are a few predictions about what might happen, as distinct from claims about what should happen.

Reply #5
Quote from:  the Bloomberg's article
In the coming years, three things will dominate the attention of the intellectual right: the main international rival (China), the main domestic rival (the left), and the main thing they stare at all day long (the internet).
Intellectual Right? American Intellectual Right?? where are they? not in Bloomberg fore sure.  :lol:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #6
Yew don't here two much from them rite now because their's to much dumb en the party to even bother trying too make since.

Reply #7
Doesn't matter a dashed thing whether Republicans or Democrats running the White house the large and gross negatives continue under both. The giant numbers in prison, tens of millions on food stamps too much spent trying military wise to run the world while too many of their own are in difficulty. Interesting way to spell 'right' there!

Reply #8
"Intellectual" is a wonderfully fluid concept. As is, of course, "right-wing". The Republican party is more clan-based than the Democrats, who are more on a regular left-right scale, but if we leave the parties behind, the intellectuals/"intellectuals" are all over the place.

Tyler Cowen seems to be talking about loud and influential voices here, not necessarily (or even probably) deep thinkers.

I think he's wrong on China being a major topic because he is right that they are primarily motivated by a hatred of the left, and the US left has been, and still is, cool on China. And if the left dislike China then the right can't. Bipartisan collaboration will not be for them. Thus I think "Chyna" will be reminiscent of the right-wing reaction to Covid-19, split between two paths: Covid-19 doesn't exist, and Covid-19 is deep state.. And we certainly could get a pinball effect. If the right hates China, then maybe the left will begin to love it.

Where the left/right will stand on the Internet, depends on the utility of it. Whether it is a medium for information or disinformation will be further down on the list.

Reply #9
As 5 November 2024 is getting closer with every passing day, it's worth noting that the election year 2024 will have a syzygy of sorts. Not only will there be a US presidential election, but a Russian presidential election as well. There will be parliamentary elections in India, the EU, and the UK (and both Koreas and Taiwan).

Reply #10
I have in the past made it abundantly clear that it does not matter a joss whether Republicans or Democrats run the nutjobland as the massive faults on jail numbers execution delays, large numbers on food stamps and son continue. So too does the damnable refusal to leave a military base in a foreign country (Cuba). That the place boasts about how good they are in the world is farcical. Capitalism is basically needed but over there if is a corporate control system. Americans continually in discussion must have that word 'awesome' in use and now here too! Farcism is better and neat word.

Reply #11
Not only will there be a US presidential election, but a Russian presidential election as well.
The first of these is a failure regardless of the outcome because the choice between two is not really a choice and the constitution says the people are not supposed to be involved anyway, except by popular delusion.

The latter has already been decided - Putin for life, until death.

Reply #12
Queen Elizabeth II will be there to comfort his relatives.

Reply #13
Europeans talk talk talk criticizing the rest of the world and everyday it passes we are more out of the map.
I imagine the same happened with the Romans.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
Yes, it has been downhill since the Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie went bankrupt.

Political power grows out of the barrel of a bank. 

Region%population%GDP (PPP)%GDP (nom)
USA4.2%14.7%24.6%
EU5.7%13.2%18.3%*
China18.0%20.1%16.2%
India17.5%8.2%3.4%
Respective IMF/Wikipedia data. The nominal GDP was 2019 numbers pre-Brexit (21.4% otherwise), PPP is 2020 (post-Brexit).

In future share of the world's economy China is expected to level off (China is still growing faster than the rest of the world in GDP/capita, which is catching up, and then fall in population), India is expected to grow both population (at world speed) and economy (above world speed). The US and EU is expected to fall slightly behind in population, and significantly behind in economy (as the world catches up). 

If the EU can be considered a single unit, it will be a major player (#2 or #3, long term slated for #4). Long term, after the US has finished squabble with China about who is #1, the US will find it as #3, after India. Even further ahead, on existing trends, India will become #1, with China falling down to the US again, based on demographic trends.

No country, or likely integrated block of countries would beat the EU for #4, but there are several candidates for #5-#8. 

Reply #15
Europeans talk talk talk criticizing the rest of the world and everyday it passes we are more out of the map.
I imagine the same happened with the Romans.
Europe already had its Rome a very long time ago. I think right now USA is experiencing its end-of-empire times.

Reply #16
While the US founding fathers had a hangup on the Roman republic, the natural analogy isn't Rome, but London. Sometimes, during the worst excesses of Trump, Moscow springs to mind, but really it is London. The Fall of The British Empire was a rather protracted affair. Hopefully the US will do better.

The US part-obsession with China will pass. While Washington D.C. took the baton from London. Beijing will never get it. The EU will compete with India for the bronze medal, but actually we will have a bunch of frontrunners making more or less permanent alliances. 

Reply #17
The US should do rather well as soon as it gets out of the Pax Romana mindset and into a global version of the Concert of Europe. The US mostly has opportunities and few threats. The EU needs to come to some understanding with our neighbours, Russia, the Middle East and the African Union, while the US got this beautiful wall from sea to shiny sea.

Reply #18
"Awesome :faint: e".

Reply #19
A poll back in December (before Biden secured the 2020 win) had Buttigieg as the favourite Democratic nominee.

Axios|SurveyMonkey: 2024 presidential vote for democrats

Pete Buttigieg: 30%
Kamala Harris: 26%
Cory Booker: 24%
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: 20%
Oprah Winfrey: 20%

More recently, according to a betting site
AOC leads odds for 2024 Presidential Candidates

I don't recognise the format, but I assume this comes down to:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez 3:1
Joe Biden 3:1
Kamala Harris 3½:1
Elizabeth Warren 8:1
Bernie Sanders 10:1
Michelle Obama 10:1
Andrew Cuomo 12:1
Pete Buttigieg 15:1
Michael Bennet 20:1

Reply #20
A poll back in December (before Biden secured the 2020 win) had Buttigieg as the favourite Democratic nominee.
A poll where Biden is not present, but somebody like Oprah Winfrey is? Who were being polled? Martians? Gremlins?

Reply #21
'Awesome' is another regular brainless express by Yanks and infiltrated everywherelike other US expressions like' law enforcement' etc. I groan.

Reply #22
I note you like a lot of folk here in Gt Britain have got brained by Yanks. The 'awesome' word and we tend to use the words they use here routinely which I find a groan.
"Awsomesauce" is from a TV commercial (an amusing one, I'll admit...) from, what, eight years ago? But I've never heard an American use it. You do know, RJ, about the Valley Girl dialect? It's similar to Glaswegian, except that it can be translated into English with a savings of half the words; whereas Glaswegian barely admits translation without at least doubling the words... Is it parsimony? Or is Scots nothing but idiomatic usage with a smattering of English to hold them together? :)

[Okay. I'm think I'm back in the mood... Back to the thread! Forgive the interruption.]
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #23
Yew don't here two much from them rite now because their's to much dumb en the party to even bother trying too make since.
Wow! I wonder if OpenAI's GPT-3 could digest such a perfect example of autological liberalism? :) No wonder Trump won! I'd bet you weren't even fazed that Hillary still doesn't understand the Electoral College... That's understandable: It ain't Yale. Her dissertation on Alinsky was a hoot! (Did you ever read Michelle dissertation? Bet you she's still Black.) And good ole Bill talking about the Oval Office, this from the guy who gave us the euphemism "Lewinski," was just too funny for words!

I'd like to read Cowen's article, jax, but I'm unwilling to shell out the $4 for it.... Still, I think I got its gist. (It's not much different from this, is it?) The idea that cancel-culture and BLM's Marxism is all that's left of the Left is probably too true to prevent Tucker Carlson from becoming the Right's standard bearer....

The neo-Cons have banished themselves, which is a good thing! The cruise-ship pundits at the National Review will recover from their Trump Derangement Syndrome, or they won't. And, as Cowen predicts, the internet will creditably compete with the MSM; and, yes, even with Fox.

Unfortunately, Jerry Pournelle's gone. So, the most articulate (and sensible) Paleo-conservative is unavailable. Trying times...
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #24
I'd like to read Cowen's article, jax, but I'm unwilling to shell out the $4 for it.... Still, I think I got its gist. (It's not much different from this, is it?) The idea that cancel-culture and BLM's Marxism is all that's left of the Left is probably too true to prevent Tucker Carlson from becoming the Right's standard bearer....

Bloomberg has (3 articles a month?) for free. If you have exceeded that quota, either wait or get an additional email account (or browser, VPN). It doesn't add $4 of value beyond the gist.

The authoritarian left is froth. They can create a lot of noise for an extended period of time, and can make trouble for non-authoritarian left and the centre-left, but are not capable of taking and wielding power for themselves.