Skip to main content
Topic: Hats, ties vanishing, sloppiness becoming a standard (Read 3824 times)

Re: Hats, ties vanishing, sloppiness becoming a standard

Reply #25
Rather Yankee influenced answer there ersi. I am not impressed with that British failed politician on Sputnik but there have been interesting other progs on RT which one can suss out and we must simply be brained by the West and US propaganda then?!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #26
Proper edicate depends on the hat, I suppose. Like situations not all are so formal.

Take your hat off at the dinner table. And when you ask a lady to dance. Those seem universal. Wearing one indoors isn't taboo with friends/family. But, it'll set you apart as someone with sense when you're a guest to less familiar folks. If they're wearing hats, though, you don't wanna linger on the point.

Reply #27
Most folk I have known in life would on visiting routinely take their hat off. One while in charge of a uniformed youth organisation there was a squad of boys being noisy after lights out and a younger leader sent to shut them up had an issue getting 100% reaction so when he reported back to me I went down the corridor and threw the squad bedroom open. They went quiet due to being me and I tore into them. As a passing amusement I had put my tie on my pyjamas and finished my warning which I knew would be noted telling about what would happen in the morning. Outside I paused for a moment and one teenage boy I could hear muttering "Ge the captain was wearing his official tie on his pyjamas!"

Reply #28
I bought a Fedora in London back in 2018. From time to time, I’ll wear it. Oftentimes I will get questioned by coworkers if I’m trying to show how cultured I am what with having studied in the UK, when I wear it to work from time to time. Highly amusing for me.

Normally I’ll just wear my standard Ole Miss Colonel Rebel cap to antagonize the Alabama and MS State fans here in Oxford.

Reply #29
Well you stick to your good ole tradition Southern laddie and the next time I pass my picture of General Lee on a bedroom wall will tell him about you of course.   8)

Reply #30
Having been a wearer of a black gown twice a month I had to mentally groan at anyone turning up in a damn beard but fairly I still treated them fairly (!). As a wee boy I was taken when my mother and been niggled by beard wearers and I instantly took to her view that they were a sign of weakness in a male.  They culprits just gt brained into that thing and seem to think makes them look more manly. Does zilch and I have stuck with my late mother's direct view and the delusion men have of that unshaven laziness.

Reply #31
Having been a wearer of hats, quite often in fact, I can say people do go in with preconceptions based on the hat you're wearing. But my love affair with hats goes way back. Takes me back, in fact, to when my mom used to tell me "You better put a hat on so your face don't get burned" [sic], and I did not... And my face did get fiery red. You might say I too had been niggled. And then I realized sometimes things have purpose. But wearing a hat just became a habit over time. Sure as I had my shoes done up and my top button undone - I had my hat. And then I realized sometimes you might just do things cause you like it.

All cause momma asked me put that hat on, I've been a better man. :cry:

Reply #32
Even people here in Gt Britain who normally wore hats like postmen, railway staff, shop security people and so on don't wear any now. I have two very nice black caps with a slight peak over the top of the eyes and I think originally came from early last century. Years ago I went on a holiday to the ex-colones across the pond and passingly bout a baseball style cap with a form of yellow braid on the front bit above the eyes and on the front attractive words saying "captain."  ;)

Reply #33
Sports hats are the most fun. I call it 'The Hat Game' on vacation. People will treat you different if they think you're not a local. I've always been fascinated by how much people go by what's on my hat. Probably speaks to how much what's written on theirs defines them. It's fun to wear my Tennessee hat one day and <local team> hat the next just to see the difference.

I've got the most compliments from women for an Alabama hat around these parts. If you ever find yourself in Dixie wanting one of them sweet southern belle kisses, take note. Scotsman in a Bama hat - they don't stand a chance.

Reply #34
A friend of mine over in the USA move to Tennessee couple of years back (got to know him via his site!) so think il query him to see if he has a hat!

Reply #35
Fashion has all gone downhill since the Bronze Age.

Reply #36
Reminds me of Rincewind.

Reply #37
I actually own a traditional black bowler hat but bought a new one as my older one was getting slightly frayed.  Worn on special public occasions.

Reply #38
jax's hat looks even less comfy than the pope's tiara.

Reply #39
Take it that is your pal eh?

Reply #40

Why you little...

Reply #41
Glad I am not related as far smarter looking for a start...........