Skip to main content
Topic: Women being portrayed too much now (Read 3019 times)

Women being portrayed too much now

On the media and particularly television we are going daft on the presence of women. Majority of the main news readers becoming women and then getting reports in from women. Even BBC Newsnight has a circle of four women and only one man. Locally here in Scotland regionally the BBCScotland news well into that and we get sub menus being reported majority-wise by women including the weather.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Women being portrayed too much now

Reply #1
Still at your telly, eh?

Recently, I bought a modern telly, but I use it just as a bigger screen for Youtube.

Television portrays people overall. Not just men or women, but humans. Always has. I do not like that. I prefer topics like history, nature, science, etc. Topics are available on Youtube more readily than on any telly.

The problem with television is that there is a schedule and there are too few channels. When things are not on or when you are not at the telly when things are on according to the schedule, you just won't see them. Saving of programs for later watching used to be a thing, but it was always limited to a few weeks and, more recently, my dear home country's providers made saving of programs an additional service that you have to pay extra for. A year ago I still considered whether I should subscribe to a TV provider, but when I heard that they basically removed the option of saving of programs, I stopped considering.

I am pretty happy with my new big-screen Youtube app. I was a bit afraid that it may not play easily from USB stick, but it actually does hotplug very intuitively. It also recognises keyboards instantly, and it can share smartphone screen over air. Awesome stuff.

The only area where TV still rules is live sports events. Those are sometimes hard to find streaming online. Well, radio takes care of them if one is okay with just listening...

Reply #2
Majority of the main news readers becoming women and then getting reports in from women. ...
Stay strong and be prepared for matriarchy!  :lol:

Reply #3
Tell me when monkeys start playing the role. :monkey:

Reply #4
A year ago I still considered whether I should subscribe to a TV provider, but when I heard that they basically removed the option of saving of programs, I stopped considering.
When I visited my parents recently, we watched a documentary from a hard disk recording a decade or so old. It was in what's now called SD. I don't think that recorder/DVD player can do better actually.

The only area where TV still rules is live sports events. Those are sometimes hard to find streaming online.
In Belgium and the Netherlands you can just watch the relevant TV channel through the website or some app. The only problem is that it's geoblocked, while my parents with satellite have a free choice between the Dutch, Belgian, German, French, British, etc. broadcast.

Reply #5
It IS too imbalanced women after women on the news and out of balance.

Reply #6
When I visited my parents recently, we watched a documentary from a hard disk recording a decade or so old. It was in what's now called SD. I don't think that recorder/DVD player can do better actually.
What is an SD? Is it the modem/digibox that comes with the provider? Or is it something more external? If the latter, then I guess I can put my smartphone on a stand in front of the TV and time-configure it to start to record whatever I want to see later...

If the former, then that's exactly where the recording opportunity has been removed by the providers.

If SD means some harddrive internal to the device by which you can capture and store whatever is displayed on the screen, be it from the TV provider or any other source (HDMI, USB stick, ...), I have not found that this amazing function exists on my TV. Maybe I should read the manual in the hope that this feature can be found.

In Belgium and the Netherlands you can just watch the relevant TV channel through the website or some app. The only problem is that it's geoblocked, while my parents with satellite have a free choice between the Dutch, Belgian, German, French, British, etc. broadcast.
Yes, satellite is the king of TV, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Not in my plans though, as I am flooded by content enough as it is.

Reply #7
Sorry for the confusion, SD means "Standard Definition" (i.e., good old digital satellite/DVD quality), as opposed to HD "High Definition" in its various forms like 720i/p and 1080i/p.

The DVD player/recorder is just a separate device over a decade old. My parents bought it whenever it was that the older VHS+DVD combo-recorder broke, which we bought in the early 2000s when the mid-'90s VHS player broke. The fact that you can't easily carry a tape or DVD around is a clear negative, but the fact that you can record tons and tons of stuff and don't really have to worry about deleting the best documentaries or whatever is definitely in its favor. However, I suspect the recordings wouldn't be easily retrieved from the HDD if the device itself died.

Nowadays the satellite receiver comes with a built-in hard disk and the ability to record two or three channels at once, across multiple satellites, while watching another.

Alternatively a modern TV can also receive the digital signal from the satellite directly, but I'm not sure if it can properly deal with the multiple satellites thing. Probably not. If you plug in a USB storage medium it can record to it. (Neither I nor my parents have tried this.)

Yes, satellite is the king of TV, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Not in my plans though, as I am flooded by content enough as it is.
And radio. Don't forget radio. ;)

But satellite is possibly the most king here, as well as in the UK and Ireland. The British Astra 2E and 2F satellites basically only cover the Benelux and Vichy France, while the European-wide satellites like Hotbird and Astra 1 cover us all.

All that depending on how good the Russian satellites I'm sure you can get in Estonia are, but between the various BBC channels, PBS, and dozens of theme channels like one dedicated entirely to showing western movies and another dedicated to horror movies, it's hard to imagine Russian satellite being better.[1]

Reply #8
And radio. Don't forget radio.  ;)
Video Killed The Radio Stars

Now, relating to RJHowie's concerns about women invading the public space it seems to me that's a lost battle. Nobody can stop them.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #9
I don't know if there are more or less women on TV than there used to be. It doesn't really feel that way to me, at least compared to the '90s in the Netherlands. However, primarily the past decade has shown trend of people with fairly distinguishable local accents being allowed to read the news. My dad gets annoyed by it, but at 84 surely you're allowed to. ;)

If they were hired because they didn't teach themselves to speak properly, I'd definitely be annoyed by it too. But I imagine they had to work twice as hard instead.

Reply #10
I will sate quite openly frenzie that there are MORE women on the front line here in GB. I illustrated that nightly BBC current affairs programme called Tonight which has a rota of four women leading in turn and one man with often others used in furthering news on a subject. The BBCScotland half hour news is mostly women also and it is frankly imbalanced. National news has moved that way too so as obvious as a nose on a face.

Reply #11
However, primarily the past decade has shown trend of people with fairly distinguishable local accents being allowed to read the news. My dad gets annoyed by it, but at 84 surely you're allowed to. ;)
According to my experience with local news in Sweden (which spans the last decade), there is a considerable allowance for local and foreign accents. The variety of the dialects is significant. When one is primarily familiar with, say, Stockholm speech, then Skåne dialect is barely comprehensible, and I imagine the difficulty obtains the other way also. Among the reporters there are additionally foreigners (immigrants) in the mix with their various thick accents.

In comparison, BBC newsreaders, even when they are from (or in) Australia or India, have a very uniformly drilled pronunciation. Same in all the American radio stations that I have listened to, despite their alleged autonomy or varied commercial ownership or loyalties, be it NPR, something in New York, Detroit, Chicago or California. Texas radio is most distinct, but only because they try really hard to sound different, with some limited success.

Take for example this presenter in Michigan, with ethnic Finnish background and professional background in radio and law.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAl7sz6bVQ8[/video]

Anyway, women do not overly prevail anywhere in journalism. Maybe RJ looks at one single channel and his favourite male newsreader retired and was followed by a female...

Reply #12
Two things have happened:

Local dialects are dying. While Europe has been better in maintaining our few remaining languages, this hasn't helped the dialects very much. There are less dialects now than a generation ago, some have disappeared all together (except in language archives), others are only (occasionally) spoken by older generation, and those that remain have fewer speakers and the dialects themselves are washed out. There is less dialectal variety. To a small degree this has been offset by immigration, immigrants bring some of their words and speech patterns with them, mixing and merging with others, and the base language. It can't make up for the dialect loss though.

While on the other hand fewer in public life adhere to whatever their language's version of received pronunciation would be. So people speak more like each other, while media speech is more like vulgar speech.

Reply #13
To topic start: Too many women is fortunately not something we have to worry about in this forum.

Reply #15
An Irish Sea bridge would be just another Boris Johnson folly

What's the point in living in societies if we don't have follies. Anyway, this project is already on the list. Now that we've spent 2/3 of the deadline we can take stock. The number of projects that could start by 2025 is now reduced to these three:

Germany – Denmark link (Fehmarn tunnel)
Britain – Ireland link (Boris)
Finland – Estonia link (Helsinki-Tallin)

Finland-Estonia is delegated to study groups, and is not going to happen by 2025. Fehmarn has been delayed by enthusiastic legal action, but probably not much longer. As for the third project, we have to put our trust in Boris. With Northern Ireland and Scotland rejoining EU, it would be a pity if there was no landlink between them.

Reply #16
Finland-Estonia is delegated to study groups, and is not going to happen by 2025.
This particular tunnel has always been funny, because it is exactly backed with China money so that even Wikipedia knows it: "Vesterbacka has made a tentative deal with chinese investment company called Touchstone Capital Partners." Part of the silk road or such.

Reply #17
Although you have jumped away from this thread jax I think you are talking daft rubbish about the PM's idea. There are other places with such ideas that came to light. He prefers a tunnel and like other distant places a great idea.

Meanwhile in modern life it shows how we can get brained into everything. Women in football, rugby, cricket, boxing, wrestling and other nonsense. All to try and show they are as level with men as they can. On an average night when say the BBC main UK news stops at 6.30pm and we are moved to the appropriate regional news such as up here in Scotland we get yet another female announcer local women reporting and the person giving the weather forecast a women. Generally I have no problem with women reporters or anchor news people but NOT being the damn majority.

Reply #18
Meanwhile in modern life it shows how we can get brained into everything. Women in football, rugby, cricket, boxing, wrestling and other nonsense. All to try and show they are as level with men as they can.
But those are different categories. Women do not play football against men, they do not box or wrestle against men. Women compete in their own category.

Are you saying that women should not present the news or are you suggesting that there should be a separate channel for female newsreaders? To me it always seemed that newsreading and reporting is one of those areas where gender does not matter, where it is enough to be human.

Generally I have no problem with women reporters or anchor news people but NOT being the damn majority.
Oh, women are the majority in your tv? Never knew you were such an egalitarian. Have you started a petition?

Reply #19
Never knew you were such an egalitarian.
Worst, he doesn't realize he's actually defending quota for men, those weak persons needing to be defended and protected.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #22
On an average night when say the BBC main UK news stops at 6.30pm and we are moved to the appropriate regional news such as up here in Scotland we get yet another female announcer local women reporting and the person giving the weather forecast a women. Generally I have no problem with women reporters or anchor news people but NOT being the damn majority.
Men should be banned from weather forecast.
Howie, enjoy the weather. :)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKqnwPNvZAs[/video]

Reply #24
Apart from woman starting their own branches of all the sports I have mentioned they also do now carry too much involvement in news and aspects f that area. Don't have a problem having women involved but you lot are so carried away with anything in modern times you make excuses for the hard fact that they are dominating the news programmes here. Not just as the senior announcer but subsidiaries they link to also women. People so easily brained these days.