Skip to main content
Topic: feature missing ??? (Read 3855 times)

feature missing ???

hi all,
about to websurf in fullscreen... just really nice... i use a shortcut alt-gr(alt+ctrl)+[ ; ] to pass in fullscreen
and to make a search and activate the adress-bar that do not appears in fullscreen an other shortcut alt-gr+[space bar]

but, here a problem occurs... the adress'bar'shortcuts (for bookmarks, or web'search'engine) is not available...
- only the defaut web'search'engine is available...

then as ever, if there's a way

thanks a lot

Re: feature missing ???

Reply #1
Interestingly, Firefox seems to be about the only browser not suffering from this ailment.

Reply #2
and there's a hope to have it on OtterBro ?? or it's really a tricky feature

Reply #3
I think I or @ersi mentioned this to @Emdek a while back but I don't think anyone's found the time to work on it yet.

Reply #4
In fullscreen there is the secondary address field available (performs also searches) and a thingie for aliases. For more complicated things, such as sifting through bookmarks, I tend to open the sidebar. Sidebar opens for me in fullscreen view.

Reply #5
hello, Ersi... sorry, i do not see what you mean by "secondary adress field"

the only one i found is in "menu/toolbars/adressbar" that can finaly be the only bar "visible" on top... the other
and it seenms to be really not that bad in this way...

thanks a lot

Reply #6
Presumably the one that can be called up with F2 by default. It's a former Opera feature also implemented in Vivaldi. I consider Shift+F2[1] of special note as well, which autocompletes nicknames. For some reason Vivaldi is missing the Shift+F2 functionality so you need one more keypress for the same result.
I think the shortcut is too complex for such a great feature though. I'd just bind it to F1 or something instead, assuming you want to keep F2 as a default so that it's compatible with a default Otter/Vivaldi installation.

Reply #7
this is the one i'm using and that i call with alt+[ ; ] (i did a spécific shortcutto activate the adress bar, and this adress have appears using this way on fullscreen) but it's precisely on this second adress bar that there is no way to use word-shortcuts for search'engine and boomark shortcuts

finally, i think that will continue to use the "normal" adress'bar that can be display via the menu... a little scroll on a web page, and this is the only bar that stay "on-top" and with all functionnalities... now i have to create a little shotcut for it, because, Otterbro do not remember this speficic configuration as normal mode..

thank a lot ;)

Reply #8
but it's precisely on this second adress bar that there is no way to use word-shortcuts for search'engine and boomark shortcuts
That doesn't sound right. Did it break recently? On this computer/OS I have a version from September or so atm where that seems to work fine. I think it's quite literally the same addressbar widget with all the same behaviors.

Reply #9
but it's precisely on this second adress bar that there is no way to use word-shortcuts for search'engine and boomark shortcuts
Careful here, because there are two secondary fields (popup dialogs, just like they used to be in Opera): One is an actual address field, called "Go to page" on the popup dialog titlebar; the other one is called "Go to Bookmark" and is for bookmark aliases only.

The "Go to page" popup dialog works for searches with search engine shortcuts (the same that you see in Preferences/Search). For me this popup dialog does not seem to suggest bookmarks, even though I have AddressField/SuggestBookmarks set to Yes (which is also the default) in about:config. Also the main address field does not suggest bookmarks for me. A workaround for bookmarks is the sidebar.

The "Go to Bookmark" popup dialog has a very limited function: Fly to the page as you type a bookmark alias. It does not accept regular web addresses and it is not meant for suggest-as-you-type.

Edit: I found that when Otter is in fullscreen, then, by default, Ctrl+k activates the secondary address field in search-engine mode. But, yeah, bookmarks for some reason do not show up either in primary or secondary address fields.

Reply #10
I guess nicknames don't work from the F2/Ctrl+k/Go to page dialog. I don't think this makes too much sense; it might be a case of following Opera/Presto too closely (not sure how it behaves otoh) or perhaps some people consider it a feature that nicknames don't work in there?

I always just thought of it as a popup addressbar with the exact same functionality that you could use to save space if desired.

But something like "w search term" for Wikipedia most definitely works for me.

Edit: I found that when Otter is in fullscreen, then, by default, Ctrl+k activates the secondary address field in search-engine mode. But, yeah, bookmarks for some reason do not show up either in primary or secondary address fields.
On this Windows install I've got weekly 300 and I get bookmark suggestions? It's a bit hard to capture a screenshot of it though; that'd be easier in a VM.

Reply #11
I guess nicknames don't work from the F2/Ctrl+k/Go to page dialog. I don't think this makes too much sense; it might be a case of following Opera/Presto too closely (not sure how it behaves otoh) or perhaps some people consider it a feature that nicknames don't work in there?
Bookmark nicknames *do* work in Opera's secondary address field. The difference between the nickname field and nicknames-in-the-address-field is that in the former they fly (i.e. the page is opened when you have typed enough so that it is already recognised by the browser) and in the latter you have to complete the nick with precision and then hit Enter or push Go to open the page.

Otter is not following Opera very closely. There are many similarities and directly copied aspects, but mostly in a superficial way. It is very far from a clone.

Reply #12
hi, to solve the difficulties of this second address bar
here, the code to add to the keyboard files, to activate the "First" address bar in FullScreen

Code: [Select]
			{
"action": "ShowToolBar",
"parameters": {
"toolBar": "AddressBar"
},
"shortcuts": [
"YourShortCutHere"
]
},

for my experience of this, wait that the remainings bar do disapear... and opened the adress bar... just cool there...