Skip to main content
Topic: Question: Customized Google search & Opera >12.17 (Read 2906 times)

Question: Customized Google search & Opera >12.17

Since today my customized Google search with Opera is very slow (10 sec +). Usually search results got fetched within 1 sec.
This is the search string I'm using for a long time and which worked fine till today:
Code: [Select]
https://www.google.com/search?q=%s&num=100&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&as_qdr=all&tbs=li:1

No problems with Firefox and my customized Google search.

Does anybody else have this issue? Any suggestions ???

Re: Question: Customized Google search & Opera >12.17

Reply #1
Since Google seems to load its search results through Javascript these days, perhaps it might help to disable Javascript or to mask as Firefox. I guess they're not testing in Presto anymore (if they ever did).

Reply #2
I'm still clueless but thanks for the input anyway.
It isn't scripting. I have scripting disabled most of the time. This forum is one of the few exceptions were it is turned on.
Masking as Firefox or IE doesn't help.

It's only the customized Google search that doesn't work with Opera >12.17 as it should. The default one is fast as usual.

Reply #3
It seems about equally fast (or I should say slowish, really) in both Opera and Fx to me. Fifty results makes it fast(ish) in both browsers, and more manageable scrollwise — but that last part's a personal opinion.

Reply #4
Did you test my customized search with Opera? It takes for me more than 10 sec to get the results fetched.
With Firefox ESR it's as fast as it always was (1~2 sec for Google 100 results).

Reply #5
Did you test my customized search with Opera?

Of course. Why else do you think I referred to the alternative value of 50? :) It takes about 5 seconds before anything is sent to my computer at all with your 100, after which it all happens in less than a second regardless of the browser. Setting it to 50 halves that to 2ish seconds, which frankly still feels a bit slow. Default Google (10 results, I believe?) arrives and renders in what I'd say is under a second. About equally fast as this forum.*

PS I also tested it in Chromium and Otter now. Same result.

* Assuming this forum is fast in all of Western Europe. The ping is slightly slower elsewhere in the world for obvious reasons.

Reply #6
Thanks for testing :)

Weird. Weird because in Firefox ESR it's still fast here (max 2 sec).

Yes you're right, with the default setting for 10 results it's under a sec in Opera but 10 results per page is a PITA for me :awww:
I'll use Firefox ESR for searches. At least as long as it won't slow down too :frown: