Skip to main content
Topic: Recommended User Agent for YouTube (dashboard, not end user UI)?  (Read 2518 times)

Recommended User Agent for YouTube (dashboard, not end user UI)?

some of the dashboard functionality (edit video etc.) does not work in Otter with its default UA string.

Oops, your web browser is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a modern, fully supported browser.

I tried several of the preset UA string, to no avail; either the same error message appears, or nothing happens at all (especially with studio.youtube.com, their new dashbord)

is there a recommended User Agent?
thanks

Re: Recommended User Agent for YouTube (dashboard, not end user UI)?

Reply #1
Just user agent may not be enough, depending on what it tests.

Reply #2
Just user agent may not be enough, depending on what it tests.

thanks, but unfortunately this isn't true here - fresh profile/default UA/weekly 272/win 7 x64

not quite sure what you mean by it may be not enough. I guess I can just give up then?

Reply #3
It's not entirely clear to me what functionality you're referring to. If I click edit on a video I can change the basic info, advanced settings, etc.

But if they're not being stupid/nasty on purpose with user agent sniffing, but are actually testing available JavaScript functionality, then there may not be much you can reasonably do about it.

Reply #4
Like Frenzie said, the user agent may not be the issue here. It's possible that page depends on a specific feature of the browser engine for example. Perhaps a WebEngine version of Otter may work. Unfortunately the newest one available is 1 year old. but I guess you can always try.

Reply #5
may, if you try all "user-agent" purpose in OtterBro you may have it...

for me, it do works with firefox 57...

but remember that the user-agent must be change by
  => [tools][preferences][advanced][network][hide me with firefox][&valid]

if you mothertong langage is not (as i) english, you can change it on the fly in the [help] menu... it allow to follow the address written upper.