Skip to main content
Topic: Putin the Magnificent: Series 2 - Putin's Russia (Read 95409 times)

Putin the Magnificent: Series 2 - Putin's Russia

In Series 1, Putin survived the Russian Constitution rule limiting Presidents to two terms by an adroit  disappearance stage left and reappearance from stage right. He is now in the first part of a second two-term Presidency before, presumably, temporarily disappearing stage left again.

We join him at an interesting point in his glorious career as he contemplates acquisitive adventures befitting Soviet Nostalgia, seeking to win friends and influence people. . . . Well 1 out of 2 is not too bad.

What can we look forward to this time?

Re: Putin the Magnificent: Series 2 - Putin's Russia

Reply #2
In Series 1, Putin survived the Russian Constitution rule limiting Presidents to two terms by an adroit  disappearance stage left and reappearance from stage right. He is now in the first part of a second two-term Presidency before, presumably, temporarily disappearing stage left again.
Wrong.
He just sits there. The presidency institution was thrown aside quite ago already.

Reply #4
Yes, Eurovision is not high diplomacy, but that's the point. Just normal people, not politicians making   auto-political points. Whether the jeers are are a result of media hype or joined-up thinking remains to be seen.

For non Europeans who don't know the Eurovision Song Contest, it's a nonsense competition whose chief plus point (IMHO) is it's hands-across-the borders let's all be friends together facade. Voting for the "best song"  is a mixture of genuine musical preference and old political/cultural alliances. So, for example, Cyprus always votes for Greece, Denmark for Iceland, , Ukraine for Russia etc.

This year's voting promises to be interesting.

Reply #5
Russian law bans swearing in arts and media

As far as I'm concerned swearing serves only to identify the inarticulate, but banning it in law! It's like blasphemy, how do you define something that has no universal meaning? The new Russian law sounds like, smells like, IS the first step towards censorship of anything which is uncomfortable to the Russian Government.

Now perhaps if the word "Putin" were adopted as a swear word - how would that work?

Reply #6
You are judging the country by Western attitudes (not that they are not without morality questions). Russia is a more tradtionally conservative nation  and has been moving greatly away from the deadness of the Soviet nightmare. Look how long it took the USA and it still isn't right.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #7
RJ. 1, he's not judging Russia;
2, you're wrong anyway: THESE population CANNOT possibly "move away" from--- From WHAT THEY ACTUALLY ARE. (Maybe some next generations could - if and when they are ALLOWED to be born and grow up.)

Reply #8
the Soviet nightmare
And you may lose "the" - because such things are generic.
"Regimes" are not borne extraterrestrially. You and me are to blame for any bad guys. Politics/tyrants/sunavabitches - are scum and consequences -- *ucking consequences of people's behaviour.

Reply #9
Wow, My country did not have a cruel and despotic tyranny and mass death purge. It was yours so keep the guilt to yourself. No similarity at all. What is pleasing is to see Russia with the pre-1918 flag, symbols and the cavalry on Red Square Victory Parade for the first time in actual Imperial uniform. Now that is a better past. You're bad lot are gone for good.

Reply #10
It depends on how "cruel and despotic" are viewed.

From a review of Churchill’s Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India during World War II.
The author points out that Churchill, explaining why he defended the stockpiling of food within Britain, while millions died of starvation in Bengal, told his private secretary that ‘the Hindus were a foul race, protected by their mere pullulation from the doom that is their due.’ Pullulation, Mukerjee notes, means rapid breeding.

Reply #11
Your fawning pal Josh, was on how an individual country is run and I stand by what I said as correct. How we ran this country has no comparison with the USSR. That you want to hive off hardly puts you in the moral corner. Just look what you did to large numbers of Red Indians on expanding and taking over. Starvation, corrupted them, diddled and worse. Be careful you don't open a Pandora Box! Morality is a cover for the corporate imperialism of today based - guess where? (!)

Reply #12
There has been some speculation about Putin's wealth for some time. If you Google
Putin billions
You will see what I mean.

As the Ukraine related sanctions are ratcheted upwards, they approach Putin himself, if those rumours are true.

But if they are, at least he has a nice summer house to relax in, according to this. On the Black Sea Coast . . .  I wonder where!

But surely those rumours are not true, no-one could actually earn that much money, could they.

Reply #13
Whether he is rich or not is of little importance it is the obnoxious propaganda being dished out by our politicians and the media. And anyway on the subject of wealth you can include the American Senate where 40% are millionaires and many multi and 60% of the Lower House so how about that one then? They are all influenced by the corporates who really control the US and ensure the preventatives of the people (chuckle) are cumfy off.

Putin also said on the media that when he heard of one bank being target for sanctions he intended to open a new account with it. Not everyone in Europe is overly keen on the anti-Russian sanctions including the Germans. Anyway Russia will lean now more towards the BRICK and East.

Reply #14
Not much significance in how much Putin formally owns. But the power he wields and the way he uses it matters a lot. For example he made Winter Olympics in the warmest place of Russia at the time when there's no snow there, the only reason being his desire to view the games from the balcony of his own villa. The Crimean annexation also seems to have no better justification than to extend the backyard of Putin's villa.

Reply #15
Baloney and a typical reaction having been brained by Western propaganda. He was elected  by a majority or must it be what we in the West decide what is acceptable? After all look at the power the US dishes out all over the world and the constant wars it has created. At the same time it likes to think it is a democracy and has some inalienable right to control the world. The West has no moral high ground and time after time "democracy" claims have been the excuse for the money barons to get what they want and stuff the world.

Russia by tradition is a conservative nation and whatever way a country wants to be ruled is up to them and we should keep our snouts out as we are hypocritical. Regarding Crimea may i remind that it was part of Russia until the Communist dictator of the time gave it away. The Crimeans did NOT want that so they are back where they WANT to be. America organised a coup against the kingdom of Hawaii and took the place over against thee wishes of the people. It took a damn long time forthe USA to apologise for that (President Clinton). Equally America insists on staying on the territory of the Republic of Cuba. It refuses to leave and in addition still maintains it's concentration camp there. A camp which has had people incarcerated for 11 years with no charges able to be brought against them.

When you look at the US record in the world it has a damn nerve to make false accusations against Putin. Neither Putin or Russia wants to do what America thinks it has a right to do across the globe so get wise ersi.

Reply #16

No, I disagree with you there, rjh. Putin's alleged wealth is important.

The sanctions thus far have focused on the holdings of the lower echelons of Putin's Russia's power base, first at one level, then at the next; gradually getting closer to Putin himself.

It's clearly a warning to Putin personally that he stands to lose personally if he escalates the Ukraine situation or in another adventure.

Now of course I don't know whether that huge wealth attributed to Putin is real or imaginary. Maybe it's propaganda or maybe it's for real. But if it's for real and funds are located in the West, then this is a real pressure point.

IF so, it goes further. As I wrote/implied, there's no way that amount of money can be earned by someone of Putin's official background (KGB Weanie;  and then politician); such wealth can only be acquired through, shall we say, murky means. The link I gave hints at such. So IF that wealth is there, dirt exists to be dug and it could get real personal.

Now that would be real pressure.

So I am merely pointing out that there could be not just a rise, but also a fall of the Imperious Putin.

I doubt it - I think he'll back off.

Your hobby horse remarks about the US are not an issue unless you give your personal dossier of facts to Putin and he plans his own exposure of, say, Obama. However that I also doubt

Reply #17
By the way

Reply #18

By the way

Ah, Putin was in town figuratively speaking, represented by his purchaser. Because a couple days ago, when I was in Shanghai, Putin came visiting.

Reply #19
Well you are right there string in that we do not agree! There are plenty of leaders who are comfortably off - our own Prime Minister for example and many others so why people pinpoint Putin is still odd.

Reply #20

Well you are right there string in that we do not agree! There are plenty of leaders who are comfortably off - our own Prime Minister for example and many others so why people pinpoint Putin is still odd.

40 billion (if true) is beyond rich, but that's beside the point; I am pointing out a possible intent of the ratcheting sanctions.

Reply #21

40 billion (if true) is beyond rich, but that's beside the point; I am pointing out a possible intent of the ratcheting sanctions.

I think Donetsk will be the turning point in his ambition(s).
Annex it and he leaves no doubt, leave it as is and cause further doubt regarding his ambition.

Reply #22

40 billion (if true) is beyond rich, but that's beside the point;

"if true" - but this seems to be beside the point as well ;)

I think Donetsk will be the turning point in his ambition(s).
Annex it and he leaves no doubt, leave it as is and cause further doubt regarding his ambition.

He is a thorn in the eyes of the West and whatever he does, he is doomed :)
Where are the good ole times when Russia was reigned by an alcoholic like Yeltsin.

Reply #23
Yes Russia will be damned no matter what and it is simply because the West sees it as a threat financially and business-wise. I do not think the Russian leader has any wish to invade the east and right to leave the mess which the West and the Kiev nutters created to them!

Reply #24
Russian MPs back law on internet data storage
Russia's lower house of parliament has passed a law requiring internet companies to store Russian citizens' personal data inside the country.
The Kremlin says the move is for data protection but critics fear it is aimed at muzzling social networks like Twitter and Facebook.
The Russian government is thought to be seeking greater access to user data.
Social networks were widely used by protesters opposing President Vladimir Putin's return to the Kremlin in 2012.
Analysts say there are fears that Russia may be seeking to create a closed and censored version of the internet within its borders.
The new bill must still be approved by the upper chamber and President Putin before it becomes law.

Worrying.