Skip to main content
Topic: The Problem with Atheism (Read 204578 times)

Re: The Problem with Atheism

Reply #75

How exactly do you measure 'greatness'?
Otherwise that statement of yours is utterly meaningless.

I know that one, "greatness" is measured at the inverse proportion of yours.
Right? :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #76
Let's go back a bit:
Quote from: ersi
You would see that the concept of God I referred to is universal, if you even superficially read anything about theology.

Why would knowledge of God require theology? Aren't you just disputing with the voices in other people's heads? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #77

Let's go back a bit:
You would see that the concept of God I referred to is universal, if you even superficially read anything about theology.

Why would knowledge of God require theology? Aren't you just disputing with the voices in other people's heads? :)
Ironic as it may seem, ignorance of God requires some theology to bring you up-to-date with what you are ignorant of.

Reply #78

Let's go back a bit:

Ironic as it may seem, ignorance of God requires some theology to bring you up-to-date with what you are ignorant of.

One could see theology as a "third element" that interposes between Man and a possible direct knowledge of God, a rationalization that doesn't have necessarily to exist. Such "third element" could be considered as something that separates instead of unifying.

That would be a very, very mystical approach, or, at least, deeply religious.
Not certainly Ersi's and very surprising to be OakdaleFTL's.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #79

Let's go back a bit:

One could see theology as a "third element" that interposes between Man and a possible direct knowledge of God, a rationalization that doesn't have necessarily to exist. Such "third element" could be considered as something that separates instead of unifying.

That would be a very, very mystical approach, or, at least, deeply religious.
Not certainly Ersi's and very surprising to be OakdaleFTL's.
Actually, there's nothing mystical about my suggestion. When you don't know God, then reading about theology is as common sense as picking up a math textbook when you don't know about math.

Reply #80

Let's go back a bit:

So much for 'universally accepted', eh? ::)
Then again, by 'universally accepted' you obviously mean 'accepted by people ersi agrees with'.

Reply #81

Let's go back a bit:

Then again, by 'universally accepted' you obviously mean 'accepted by people ersi agrees with'.
I am not singling out any author for you. Just get a grip of the topic in general. Unfortunately you don't have it right now. You fail to grasp that God is immaterial, even though this is universally accepted in theology the same way as there are basics to arithmetic and geometry that you find in absolutely any math textbook without any need for me to single out any particular one. This is what I mean by universally accepted.

This is a serious problem with atheists - they have absolutely no clue about what they are in denial of. And no willingness to verify either. With all your talk about evidence and verification, why don't you verify something as simple as this?

Reply #82

Let's go back a bit:

I am not singling out any author for you. Just get a grip of the topic in general.

q.e.d. ::)

Unfortunately you don't have it right now. You fail to grasp that God is immaterial, even though this is universally accepted in theology the same way as there are basics to arithmetic and geometry that you find in absolutely any math textbook without any need for me to single out any particular one. This is what I mean by universally accepted.

You can repeat that claim as often as you want, that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. If your god is immaterial the same way as a Riemann integral, and this was somehow universally accepted ( in the dictionary sense, not the ersi one ) then why are there lots of people who believe god is punishing them with things like tornadoes? You can't have it both ways, either it's abstract and has no real world interactions other than through the voices in peoples' heads, or it's not abstract.

This is a serious problem with atheists - they have absolutely no clue about what they are in denial of. And no willingness to verify either. With all your talk about evidence and verification, why don't you verify something as simple as this?

Nonsense. Give me something that can be verified for starters. So far it's all waffling and vague intellectual wankery.
Sure you can find similar wankery related to most major religions. That doesn't make it universally accepted.

Reply #83
In philosophy and logic, when you "make up", then it comes to be. It means it will exist. And its seeds are already here and now.

[…]

My argument, therefore, is: Be very  careful what you make up, because it *will* become reality, if it already isn't.

That's all trivially true, because of course the synapses in your brain are real. That doesn't mean the synapses correspond to real things outside of your brain. It's also the very reason people should have a strongly vested interest in eradicating false beliefs. Steven Weinberg wrote, "for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." That's true insofar as religion corresponds to false beliefs. But any false belief will do, and one needn't be religious to hold a false belief.

1. Is the "potentially empirically detectable teapot" the same teapot that Russell referred to?

Yes. I phrased it that way at your insistence.

2. If yes, did the outsider detect it or not?

Of course not.

3. If not, then how does the outsider know that it's just a silly teapot?

How do you know it's silly if I say I've got five million china teapots at home? :)

Disregarding all about detection and granting that the "insiders" have a different idea of the teapot than the outsider - how do you determine that the outsider's view is correct? And when you have a way of determining this, doesn't this make *you* the true impartial otsider rather than the outsider your argument is referring to? Isn't the outsider of your argument enmeshed in his own ideas about other things with regard to which he is an insider? In other words, how do you define the outsider? An example/analogy would be helpful, thanks.

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Outsider_test

Reply #84

That's all trivially true, because of course the synapses in your brain are real. That doesn't mean the synapses correspond to real things outside of your brain. It's also the very reason people should have a strongly vested interest in eradicating false beliefs. Steven Weinberg wrote, "for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." That's true insofar as religion corresponds to false beliefs. But any false belief will do, and one needn't be religious to hold a false belief.

What if you hold false beliefs? How would you revise them? For example, I find your implicit suggestion that "synapses in your brain" correspond to beliefs as open to immediate attack. How do you justify this contention? Any evidence? If it turns out dubious, would you revise it?

1. Is the "potentially empirically detectable teapot" the same teapot that Russell referred to?

Yes. I phrased it that way at your insistence.

I most definitely didn't ask you to formulate it this way. What was wrong with some formulation more true to Russell's? Was he wrong after all? If so, why not admit it and revise your belief?

3. If not, then how does the outsider know that it's just a silly teapot?

How do you know it's silly if I say I've got five million china teapots at home? :)
By logical inference from knowing you and knowing what china is. Note: The basis for the judgement would be knowledge, not ignorance. This is inverted in your case.

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Outsider_test
If this test is meant to eliminate bias, then it fails miserably. It is specifically designed to attack traditional religion, not religion in general. It's not a test of rationality. It's applicable only to adherents of traditional religion. Converts don't qualify and atheists don't qualify either. Hence we both don't qualify here. It's irrational of you to refer to this test. It's inapplicable here. Its connection with Russell's analogy (the analogy that is either false or meant as a joke, most likely both) also remains unexplained.

Very disappointing. Follow your own advice and consider a complete overhaul of your methodology.

Reply #85
What if you hold false beliefs? How would you revise them? For example, I find your implicit suggestion that "synapses in your brain" correspond to beliefs as open to immediate attack. How do you justify this contention? Any evidence? If it turns out dubious, would you revise it?

If you're ignorant of basic neuroscience, here's a semi-random place to start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphasia Semi-random because you could say Broca was the first neuroscientist, or at least the most famous early one, and that's what he studied.

My "implicit suggestion" was more of a pars pro toto. If there was an implicit suggestion, it's that it's all wholly and completely physical. Would I revise that suggestion if it turned out to be dubious? Well, why wouldn't I?

I most definitely didn't ask you to formulate it this way. What was wrong with some formulation more true to Russell's? Was he wrong after all? If so, why not admit it and revise your belief?

You're clearly still missing the point about the evolution of ideas. Okay, so there's a teapot in space undetectable by telescope. And as you indicated, a teapot undetectable by telescope might still be detectable by e.g. sending over some kind of space vessel. This changes what exactly? Even adding the undetectable by telescope attribute is already part of the evolution.

By logical inference from knowing you and knowing what china is. Note: The basis for the judgement would be knowledge, not ignorance. This is inverted in your case.

That's the only potentially valid objection to the teapot you've managed to muster thus far: we know a thing or two about teapots. The teapot argument presumes that knowledge about teapots to be correct, while that's actually the point it sets out to prove. However, you feign knowledge where there is none, which is the problem I've been pointing out all along.

It's not a test of rationality.

I've seen Christians quite rationally tear down Islamic concepts without realizing much the same arguments would dismantle their own faith. Sure, there are some caveats, but it's all about not applying a double standard.

It's not a test of rationality. It's applicable only to adherents of traditional religion. Converts don't qualify and atheists don't qualify either. Hence we both don't qualify here.

The point is to subject your own beliefs to the same amount of skepticism and rational inquiry that you do others. Your contention that converts and atheists already do is special pleading.

Its connection with Russell's analogy (the analogy that is either false or meant as a joke, most likely both) also remains unexplained.

You think it's an analogy to your god concept, but it's an analogy to its infancy and to its development.

The connection is that this is how it sounds to outsiders. You obviously don't think it's ridiculous, so one has to come up with something everyone thinks is ridiculous to demonstrate. Is it a joke? Maybe, but a joke with utility.

Reply #86

If you're ignorant of basic neuroscience, here's a semi-random place to start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphasia Semi-random because you could say Broca was the first neuroscientist, or at least the most famous early one, and that's what he studied.

My "implicit suggestion" was more of a pars pro toto. If there was an implicit suggestion, it's that it's all wholly and completely physical. Would I revise that suggestion if it turned out to be dubious? Well, why wouldn't I?
I know enough about neuroscience to know that nobody has ever detected a belief in the brain or observed revisions of beliefs in terms of synapses in the brain.

Also, I know about psychology. Aphasia is a defect of communication. Communication is distinct from reflection and self-reflection. Beliefs are of the reflective and self-reflective sort primarily, and of communicative sort only secondarily. How? You can hide your true motivation by your expression and behaviour, you can deceive people as to your true loyalties. That's how.

So, your example was not just semi-random. It was completely random, and unfortunately inapplicable. 

You're clearly still missing the point about the evolution of ideas. Okay, so there's a teapot in space undetectable by telescope. And as you indicated, a teapot undetectable by telescope might still be detectable by e.g. sending over some kind of space vessel. This changes what exactly? Even adding the undetectable by telescope attribute is already part of the evolution.

Evolution of ideas is connected to (un)detectability how? Are true ideas detected? Detected as what? As synapses in the brain? Can you bring an example? (Aphasia was inapplicable. Let's have an applicable example.)

That's the only potentially valid objection to the teapot you've managed to muster thus far: we know a thing or two about teapots. The teapot argument presumes that knowledge about teapots to be correct, while that's actually the point it sets out to prove. However, you feign knowledge where there is none, which is the problem I've been pointing out all along.

I feign knowledge where there is none? You are open to the same charge. You feign knowledge that your "potentially empirically detectable" teapot is unreal, but there is a crucial distinction between undetected (i.e. not yet known, but knowable in principle) and unknowable (whatever this may be, Russell's analogy is not about this and neither is your formulation). You are not talking about unknowable. You are talking about *potentially detectable* while pretending it's the same thing as unreal!

Here's how the distinction is important. Potentially detectable may be, for example, a faint whiff of wind that your skin may not feel if it's insensitive enough but that may cause e.g. a feeble leaf to move. If you don't notice the leaf, the potentially detectable whiff of wind will remain undetected by you. If you notice the leaf, the potentially detectable whiff of wind becomes empirical reality for you. However, even if you don't detect it, it's an empirical reality that you failed to detect. It's not unreal either way. It's flawed logic to conflate undetected with unreal. This is even a scientifically important distinction. In math, infinitesimals are not zeroes.

Here are some more metaphysical distinctions (just to show you what I think about stuff, if you are really interested in dialogue. If not, you can safely ignore this. Or you can refute or ridicule these distinctions, whichever way you want it.). Unknowable does not mean unreal. Unreal means *does not exist*. Unknowable exists, but it escapes empirical detection and grasp of mind for whatever reasons.

Then there are also empirically undetectable knowables. Concepts (e.g. beliefs!) are of this sort - knowable and thus existent, but empirically undetected. Math (and any other science and laws of nature) are also knowable, but empirically undetectable (not even potentially empirically detectable). You can't detect abstract circularity or the number 0, 1, -1 or pi. Coherent mental activity (logical inference and deduction) is a form of detection, if you insist, but unempirical. You can't mechanically/electronically record and reproduce a trail of thought in a person. Evolution is not empirically detected in nature. Evolution is a conclusion from facts of nature that seem to imply evolution. There are empirically detected facts of nature for which the best explanation may be evolution, but you can't take evolution and put it on someone's table to "prove" it to him. You can show the facts and hope the facts lead him to the same conclusion. The facts are empirical, but evolution is an unempirical knowable.

It's not a test of rationality.

I've seen Christians quite rationally tear down Islamic concepts without realizing much the same arguments would dismantle their own faith. Sure, there are some caveats, but it's all about not applying a double standard.
Good. Let's stick to avoiding double standards.

It's not a test of rationality. It's applicable only to adherents of traditional religion. Converts don't qualify and atheists don't qualify either. Hence we both don't qualify here.

The point is to subject your own beliefs to the same amount of skepticism and rational inquiry that you do others. Your contention that converts and atheists already do is special pleading.
More crucial distinctions. Born atheists have evidently not exercised skepticism to the extent that they'd have converted, right? So, if the test is to be impartial, it should invite conversion in both directions, right?

Then there's a class of people that may superficially fail the test, yet be perfectly rational, namely those whose beliefs have undergone and withstood all tests of time, inquiry, adequacy, utility. What kind of outsider would be able to evaluate this? Let's say you are evaluating me in this interaction. Do I seem like someone who has not questioned his own beliefs and reasoned his way towards a systematic world view? Someone at loss with answers? Someone easily refuted? In turn, I don't see you too keen to revise or improve your beliefs when they don't carry too far in argumentation.

Its connection with Russell's analogy (the analogy that is either false or meant as a joke, most likely both) also remains unexplained.

You think it's an analogy to your god concept, but it's an analogy to its infancy and to its development.
It's not how Russell meant it, but I understand that you want to argue it this way. Okay, allowed.

The connection is that this is how it sounds to outsiders. You obviously don't think it's ridiculous, so one has to come up with something everyone thinks is ridiculous to demonstrate. Is it a joke? Maybe, but a joke with utility.
I have enough sense of humour to see how it is a joke. I also have enough reason to see how it is an inside joke rather than an outsider's view at Christian beliefs. It doesn't address the mainstream Christian beliefs, much less the concept of God in general.  It's an inside joke for atheists. It offends only literalist fundies. It does not concern anybody else's religious beliefs, except maybe make sympathetic people sad how such a great guy as Russell could stoop so low as to offend those who deserve pity rather than ridicule. Well, I forgive him, if he meant it as a joke.

As I argued before - with references to Russell - Russell certainly knows what immaterial is, and thus he certainly knows his analogy is not an analogy about it. It's not a logical argument. Here comes a funny thing now. The element that makes the joke work is the fact that atheist physicalists share the concept of God with literalist fundies. Both are essentially ontological materialists. Both think "God is out there" (with all its implications). Scriptural literalists think this affirmatively, atheists negatively. Atheist physicalists and literalist fundies conceive their ontology the same way. They are the same class of people. So it's an inside joke, a ridicule of atheists' own mirror image.

Mainstream believers and theologians don't think "God is out there". In the mainstream, God is immaterial, incorporeal, both transcendent and immanent.

Reply #87
"Atheism" is not even the opposite of the philosophical understanding and recognizing of God.
Just the baseless opposition to non-theologian pseudo-religions as protestant sects, scientificism and the sort. Nothing else.

No different from tribal voodoo.
No need to waist so much words about it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #88
Ersi, should an atheist deny only the Christian god - or any other gods as well? For example, does anybody believe in those guys from "Lord of the Ring" or what?
The thing was brilliantly made up - hence it happened to exist - with all the gods there are there, etc. So, does anybody have a clue about any possibility to determine one's lesser probability to the other/another/whatever?
Does anybody believe in Odin&Co? If no - why? Nice and very elaborated theology is present, so what? Ah, your 'God' says "I'm the Only One"? Nahhh... 
See, "the problem" with atheists is that they just simply aggravated at all this assortment and say "go to hell all of you".

Reply #89
I think a more accurate description of "the" problem is that being an atheist doesn't really mean anything. You're an atheist, and then what? That's the part that matters.

I'm an atheist converted from Catholicism, married to a nominal Catholic and a relative of assorted Catholics, Baptists and I don't know whats.

I operate on the premise that nobody wants to be proselytized by an atheist. My neighbor, a Baptist minister and a very nice man, has no idea that I'm an atheist.

Reply #90
Quote from: Jimbro3738
I'm an atheist converted from Catholicism

At the agnosticism thread, you have already converted from atheism to agnosticism.

You'll finish Catholic again... let's hope that at some Order with a vow of silence... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #91
[quote ]At the agnosticism thread, you have already converted from atheism to agnosticism.

You'll finish Catholic again... let's hope that at some Order with a vow of silence... [/quote]
1. On assertion 1, that's a likely as you finishing as an atheist.
2. Just in case you haven't noticed, but for the click of the keyboard, posting everywhere is silent. :)

Reply #92
Quote from: Jimbro
...posting everywhere is silent.

The deafening sound of silence...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #93
Another Bloody Mary, please...

On that much most of our posters agree with you. Me? I'm a Coke® man, ex-Scotch man and ex-beer man. I stayed with the CC until it stopped serving wine with bread.

While I'm no longer a member of the tribe, I like El Papa Francisco. Cool guy.

Reply #94
Quote from: Belfrager
Another Bloody Mary, please...

Did anybody call for bloody Mary?  :o

Reply #95
Quote from: Jimbro3738
While I'm no longer a member of the tribe, I like El Papa Francisco. Cool guy.

I don't.
Always wrong, atheist.
Quote from: krake
Did anybody call for bloody Mary?

You are no good bartender Krake...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #96

The Problems of atheism is - Hate

Karl Marx born as Jews

Jews are the one that Created the Religion Doctrines ala NAZI - argumentum ad nauseam , blah blah .

what Marx did is just Hate Fascism  and Vice versa  then  new religion called - atheism born.
#Haters gonna hate
------------------------------

btw , why not give Buddhism a try ?

buddha mean is - the awakened one

Buddha is not God , that's just about Philosophies

Dont think , just Feel  --->
You don’t need religion to have morals. If you can’t determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion

Rational enuf in this Modern World

NO God BS , just - Conscience , Consciousness ,  Meditations, etc  ..
can Self - Heal  some     insomnia ,  Bipolar Disorder  or probably - Schizophrenia .

Hindi is Good too --> The Goal of Hindi is True Happiness .

Something like this ..
Albert Einstein :If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things

Reply #97
Albert Einstein :If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things

I live a happy life and it's tied to a woman, one who is perfect for me.

Having a goal is fine, but it doesn't guarantee a happy life. Think Osama bin Laden, and Adolph Hitler.

I just baked an apple pie, which is now cooling. In a couple of hours I'll know if it makes me happier. ;)

Reply #98
Forgive me, for I have read the previous posts… My sins are likely irredeemable.

For those who struggle with the concept of "immateriality," please provide me with an idea… So that I can know what it is that you refer to. (Yes, I know you can't.)

If you have even one, no one will ever know…
(Think hard: What are the reasons that numbers –e.g., 1,2, etc.— are presumed to "exist"?)

For those who despair of convincing atheists of God's existence, let God do the heavy lifting! If He won't, there must be a reason… No? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #99

Ersi, should an atheist deny only the Christian god - or any other gods as well? For example, does anybody believe in those guys from "Lord of the Ring" or what?
The thing was brilliantly made up - hence it happened to exist - with all the gods there are there, etc. So, does anybody have a clue about any possibility to determine one's lesser probability to the other/another/whatever?
Good example. It essentially doesn't matter if the mythology is individually or collectively made up. What matters is its consistency and capacity to make people relate to it. Some like the more scientific aspect of a mythology, its adequacy vis-a-vis the empirical world, while some others like its esthetical aspect, capacity to stimulate imagination, while still others appreciate its didactic aspect. This is so with any book, story, fiction or the so-called non-fiction. You can get immersed in it, because it makes internal sense. It has explanatory power about things. Fiction illustrates truths about human nature, provides emotional and mental experiences. These are all real things and educate people about the real world.

Story-books teach by means of fictitious illustrations. Think of them as analogies, thought experiments or illuminating dream-experiences. Science books are not too different, inasmuch as they contain analogies and a concept system with internal consistency insofar as the author can see. In addition to thought experiments, science books contain empirical experiments which is just a game that adults play, with the same shortcomings and dangers as kids games and sports contests are.

The teaching in it all is immaterial *useful fiction* in any case. The teachings of religion or spirituality are relevant or become relevant the same way as fiction is or becomes, as one is able to relate it to the real world. And, same as with fiction or religion, also science makes no sense at all when you can't relate it to reality. For example Newtonian physics, a major part in school program, never made sense to me, whereas the relativity theory and quantum mechanics made instant sense. For anyone of us, some theories/analogies/stories/traditions/religions are better graspable than others.

For example, Christianity is relevant in countries with Christian majority as a cultural tradition. The same way as it matters that you should eat with spoon, fork and knife, it matters to know something about the Bible and have some respect for the tradition. Religion is of course more than tradition, but thinking of it as a tradition is a good start. You can't discard it just because it doesn't make sense to you, the same way as you can't discard spoon, fork and knife complaining that they don't make sense to you. Then further it can make sense to people the way Lord of the Rings does, and then further as a statement of spiritual truths.

I don't see it as my duty to proclaim spiritual truths to atheists. Spiritual truths can't make sense to you if you presuppose spirituality does not exist. I am not surprised. There are people here in this thread even saying that existence is undefinable, effectively that no truths can exist, etc. Nothing surprising in it.

For me, making sense of things is easy - just relate the right label (word, idea, concept) with the right object (meaning). This is all there is to it. Religion is just another concept system, same as any scientific theory, same as good fiction. It serves its purpose. When you rightly identified the purpose, there's nothing mysterious about it.

For those who struggle with the concept of "immateriality," please provide me with an idea… So that I can know what it is that you refer to. (Yes, I know you can't.)
You mean you struggle with the idea of immateriality? If it doesn't exist, then what is it you are struggling with? When you struggle with it, then it more likely exists rather than not. You wouldn't be struggling with something non-existent, right?