Skip to main content
Topic: The Problem with Atheism (Read 204621 times)

Re: The Problem with Atheism

Reply #700
Personally, I care what some scientists have to say about Pluto and dark matter just so long as their fields aren't biology or geology.

I don't care what Pope Francis has to say about almost anything. Almost but not everything.

And so what?

It happens that, unlike you, the Pope, as well as his predecessors, have a Board of Science with the most reputable scientists from Universities and research labs from all over the world, at many scientific fields, with the mission of inform and advice the Holy See in all scientific matters and advances, very specially those ones that put in danger the dignity of human beings.

Vatican positions at such matters are the result of an holistic approach, that takes in account scientific and philosophic, as well as theological, perspectives. It represents the view of Man the best Man can view.
Such vision has no parallel at any other religion and even less between atheists.

On your knees heathen. :)

A matter of attitude.

Reply #701
It happens that, unlike you, the Pope, as well as his predecessors, have a Board of Science with the most reputable scientists from Universities and research labs from all over the world, at many scientific fields, with the mission of inform and advice the Holy See in all scientific matters and advances, very specially those ones that put in danger the dignity of human beings.

His predecessors? Ask Galileo. Ask a female Catholic priest. The Church is mired in the past. I doubt it'll ever dig itself out.

On November 27, 1095, Pope Urban II makes perhaps the most influential speech of the Middle Ages, giving rise to the Crusades by calling all Christians in Europe to war against Muslims in order to reclaim the Holy Land, with a cry of “Deus vult!” or “God wills it!”

That worked well.

Reply #703
...according to popular legend...

Always looking to shake things up, aren't you. Our Portuguese friend is going to get you.

Reply #704
Ask Galileo. Ask a female Catholic priest.

Galileo was an idiot and females are not priests.
When I have the patience I will explain you both Galileo and females. You clearly need to learn about both...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #705
Catholics tried a female Pope once upon a time.

I also need to explain you about Catholics so you don't keep on saying the aberrations you read at the Protestant/atheist propaganda Wikipedia.
But I'm sorry, Jimbro is first. He's older than you.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #707

Catholics tried a female Pope once upon a time.

I also need to explain you about Catholics so you don't keep on saying the aberrations you read at the Protestant/atheist propaganda Wikipedia.

Please explain about Catholics to me. I admit I know little about them.

The female Pope story, however, I didn't get it from Wikipedia originally. I first heard it when I was little, in school history lessons. No Protestant propaganda in Soviet schools, you know.

The lesson was about Jan Hus, an anti-papist, who had basically said that the cardinals were stupid because they didn't even notice when their Pope was pregnant (as in the story about the female Pope). When Jan Hus was accused of heresy for this statement, along with other statements, the accusers said that the offices of cardinals and the Pope were holy anyway.

In other words, the accusers made the point that the Pope can be female and child-bearing as he/she wishes. This was the lesson :)

Reply #708
Please explain about Catholics to me.

I used to be one. Fortunately I grew out of it.

My two brothers have "left" the church. One is a nothing, the other a Baptist.

All of my sisters are old style Catholics. They go to confession to reveal their sins to a priest. Before some reforms in what was called Vatican II, they word a hat to church service. All of us were baptized by a priest in church. My wife still calls herself a Catholic but she does none of the things that my sisters still do. Essentially, she offers silent prayers and says she prays for me. I don't ask what that's all about because I don't want to discuss that part of her life with her.

In the early teen years Catholics become "confirmed," thus moving into a more adult state of Catholicism.

I plucked this out of Confirmation for Dummies.
So what occurs during a Catholic Confirmation? The Holy Spirit is first introduced to a Catholic the day that she's baptized, because the entire Holy Trinity — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit — are invoked at the ceremony. During Confirmation, God the Holy Spirit comes upon the person, accompanied by God the Father and God the Son, just as he did at Pentecost.

Obviously, that's just a small part of a complex thing.

Reply #709
In other words, the accusers made the point that the Pope can be female and child-bearing as he/she wishes. This was the lesson  :)

The things you've learned under the Soviets... :)
Well, better than others learn under the Free America for sure.

Joan D'Arc was a very interesting character, very mystical and with many things difficult to understand to us today but she was never a "Popess". She was burnt by the Britons.

Et Jeanne, la bonne Lorraine
Qu'Anglais brûlèrent à Rouen;
Où sont-ils, où, Vierge souvraine?
Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?

She was proclaimed martyr for Motherland and Faith.
She's a Saint of the Catholic Church.

"Pope Joan" from wikipedia propaganda never existed.

As for only males can be Popes or Priests is the same reason why only females can be Nouns.
There are rumors spreading that gays also want to become nouns.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #710
Yep, the female Pope is entertaining. At another time there were 3 all having a kind of punch up as each claimed to be the correct Pope. It has also been said that a chair was made with a hole in it so a check could be made to ensure a Pope was a male!

Before the wonderful Prot Reformation here in Scotland we had a debacle once in Glasgow Cathedral when 2 priests claimed to be the lawful bishop. They both entered in 2 different aisles complete with bannerettes, etc and when they got to the fron both men and their people had a nice punch up at the communion table.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #711

I don't think Wikipedia says what you think it does. :P
Pope Joan is a woman who, according to popular legend, reigned as pope for a few years during the Middle Ages. Her story first appeared in chronicles in the 13th century and subsequently spread widely through Europe. The story was widely believed for centuries, but modern scholars regard it as fictional.

(emphases mine)

Reply #712

I don't think Wikipedia says what you think it does. :P
Pope Joan is a woman who, according to popular legend, reigned as pope for a few years during the Middle Ages. Her story first appeared in chronicles in the 13th century and subsequently spread widely through Europe. The story was widely believed for centuries, but modern scholars regard it as fictional.

(emphases mine)

We can only hope. Perhaps one day...

Reply #713
I don't think Wikipedia says what you think it does.  :P

No? if it's a  fictional story what the f*ck that means? that she existed?? I said she never existed shit.

I mentioned Joan D'arc to educate the idiots that thinks that "Pope Joan" is she and keeps on posting proud of their own imbecility.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #714
No? if it's a  fictional story what the f*ck that means? that she existed?? I said she never existed shit.

So you object to the Wikipedia propaganda (whatever that may be) no matter what it actually says or what its sources are?

Reply #715
I mentioned Joan D'arc to educate the idiots that thinks that "Pope Joan" is she and keeps on posting proud of their own imbecility.

I'm still waiting for the Catholic feminist revolution when two thousand years of Papal misogyny gets flushed down the toilet . Then we'll see a Pope Joan! Speaking of imbecility...

Reply #716
@Jimbro
None of this explains anything about Catholics to me. I know all these details, but in order to be explanatory, I need to know how Catholics understand these details, understand in the deepest sense. If they don't understand them, they are Catholics in name only.

@Belfrager
The thing is, I never mixed up Pope Joan with Jeanne d'Arc, and I think nobody else did either. The name of the female Pope is Johannes in our history and Jeanne d'Arc is known by her French name.

Reply #717
I think nobody else did either

No? how many do you think that knows who's one and who's the other? You're speaking with Americans in case you forgot...
And for the last time a female pope never existed.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #718

I think nobody else did either

No? how many do you think that knows who's one and who's the other? You're speaking with Americans in case you forgot...
And for the last time a female pope never existed.

You're speaking with Americans who can look things up if we take a notion. If I decide to look up which Joan might have been a female Pope-- when in doubt, Google.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #719
And Jesus made a Greek pun with Peter.

Reply #720
...upon this petra I will a beam...

Or something like that.

Reply #724
Google Belfrager Google!